Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the pillar cameras heated after all?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
So forgive me as i've just finished a 15 hour shift and my brain is half dead. But I am almost positive there has been multiple discussions about pillar cameras fogging up and getting condensation and questions asked why are they not heated....and that you need to crank the heating in the car to try and dry them out etc etc.

I know the front camera is heated and I just always had it in my head that it is the only one.

Until today....

Attachments

• PXL_20221213_052908932.jpg
    PXL_20221213_052908932.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 352
So forgive me as i've just finished a 15 hour shift and my brain is half dead. But I am almost positive there has been multiple discussions about pillar cameras fogging up and getting condensation and questions asked why are they not heated....and that you need to crank the heating in the car to try and dry them out etc etc.

I know the front camera is heated and I just always had it in my head that it is the only one.

Until today....
No heat, You gotta go out and scrape or whatever you can use to remove ice or whatever. I sometimes have to stop the car in the rain and brush off the camera

Anybody have any issue with ice forming inside glass? Is this expected or is the an issue?

Got a “blinded” message thinking it was salt from roads… got out to see ice had formed inside…View attachment 888592
Not personally, but it's easy to see how it happens.
The bit where the ice is exposed to the air in the cabin. If this is humid, ie. people breathing, then when that gets to the cold glass there it'll condense... and then freeze when the glass gets below zero.

As it isn't getting warm air blown at it like the windows, it won't dry out quite as quickly.

As suggested, no harm in raising a service request as they may have a fix, but those B pillar cameras are in my experience the worst part of the car, and really don't work all winter.

Reactions: Battpower