Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Rear-Wheel Drive 85s Going Extinct?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are some advantages of dual motors, but some disadvantages. Frankly in terms of driving performance and road stability, the RWD Model S is perfectly fine. I use the frunk space on a daily basis and would hate to lose it. There is no advantage to me to have dual motors, but I would suffer some disadvantages. 7% more range on the D isn't worth anything to me as I almost never need it's full range.

The marketplace, not Tesla will determine the configurations long term.

The S60 RWD was not a big seller, but now the S70D is a much more popular configuration.

Believe many will chose the S70D over the S85.

Dual motors give better efficiency and larger items that do not fit in the Frunk can be stored in the Trunk.

But I think a S70 for $5k less than a S70D would sell even better...

Me either. AWD sales have always been a niche in the performance sedan market, not the bulk seller. I purposefully got the S85 because I live in a warm climate, 1 engine is simpler than 2, and I prefer storage space to making youtube drag strip videos.

Actually pretty much the entire Mercedes AMG line went AWD a couple of years ago. AWD is especially useful, even on dry roads, for performance sedans.

AWD is especially popular in the luxury/premium car segment. A little over half of what Mercedes sells is sold with AWD.

That said I fully understand why RWD is sufficient for you and many other people though I think it is only a matter of time until the RWD Model S is discontinued. This will then allow them to build one AWD platform for the Model S and the Model X.

I wonder if any of the newer RWD 80 models still have the microwave. It would be interesting if Tesla starts using the AWD platform for the RWD Model S by simply omitting the front motor and keep everything else the same :)

Actually pretty much the entire Mercedes AMG line went AWD a couple of years ago.

Only the S63 is available with AWD, The rest of the AMG line (CLA45, C63, E63, SL63/65 and GT) are only rear wheel drive.

Besides for the VW group of car companies, the vast majority of other performance cars are RWD. Even the 950hp LaFerrari is only RWD.

But I think a S70 for $5k less than a S70D would sell even better...

You got your wish for a 70, now let's see how they present with the orders that breser tracks.

I know so many choose the 85D over the 85, so I doubt that 70 sells any better than 70D when you know the performance and driveability is better in the 70D plus you get better all-weather control.

70D became popular but it's hard to know if 70 will become more popular than the 60 ever was versus the 85 series of choices

Let's not forget that the single motor means there are less high dollar items that can break and need replaced. I love my S85 because of the simple and elegant design. Adding a second motor increases the complexity. One could argue that two motors increases the risk of catastrophic failure.

Let's not forget that the single motor means there are less high dollar items that can break and need replaced. I love my S85 because of the simple and elegant design. Adding a second motor increases the complexity. One could argue that two motors increases the risk of catastrophic failure.

Except that we know the car can be driven with only one functioning motor. We've seen people with AWD cars have one motor fail and they were still able to drive.

I agree that it is possible to drive on one motor, but it also introduced the possibility that a failure will lock a wheel or make the car inoperable. Just possible is all I am saying.

BTW - this conversation is a bit out dated based on today's announcement of the additional model S70. (70 with RWD only) The market spoke, Tesla listened.

Actually today's announcement may make it more likely that rear wheel drive 85s will go extinct. There are too many choices in the lineup with small differences between them. With 90 and 70, there is little reason for an 85. Many here think the 85s will be discontinued soon as that battery supply with the original chemistry is depleted.

I Think the rwd version is here to stay for good. It gives buyers a cheaper option, and allows tesla to earn higher margins on the d models.

Also so since the differences between the rwd and awd models is relatively tiny it doesn't cost Tesla much to offer both models.

Not to mention that many buyers, myself included, prefer the rwd version of the car.

The S90 single motor is already available in the design studio. It is just difficult to see because of the complicated options. Here is a list of current models available. New models are shown in bold. I expect that all 85's will be discontinued soon.

1. 70
  2. 70D
  3. 85
  4. 90
  5. 85D
  6. 90D
  7. P85D
  8. P90D
  9. P90D Ludicrous
Complicated options? Go to the configuration page on a european Audi, BMW or Mercedes site and you will realize that Tesla is simple and actually bundles too much.

Options are not at all complicated. It is much more complicated to find out the cash price at least in Finnish page. Calculator is needed and you need to find the correct numbers to sum up.

My experience with other car makers is also that they offer every little option as separate (for example I took leather shifting stick to my Hilux).

@Matteo, thank you for your clear and concise post. I agree with you that it seems quite likely that in the near future Tesla will discontinue all 85 versions. The cost and range difference between the 85 and the 90 in my opinion does not justify continuing to offer both batteries. It is even possible that the X will launch with only 70 and 90 versions.
Here is a list of current models available. New models are shown in bold. I expect that all 85's will be discontinued soon.

1. 70
  2. 70D
  3. 85
  4. 90
  5. 85D
  6. 90D
  7. P85D
  8. P90D
  9. P90D Ludicrous