Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Rear-Wheel Drive 85s Going Extinct?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is good that Tesla continues with the S90 in RWD form. As long as RWD remains a simple sub-set of the AWD production line, then it will be profitable to continue with the RWD option. Most drivers would be hard pressed to tell the difference in dry road driveability anyway. A simpler Tesla is conceivably a better Tesla.
--

A simpler Tesla is conceivably a better Tesla.

I think this is why, from a manufacturing standpoint, many are surprised that Tesla's car options are getting more complex versus simpler. It makes more sense (to me at least) to simplify the line. Less parts to manage, less build options, and in the long run, less variables to worry about maintenance on. The line should be 70D, 90D and P90D (and I guess P90DL since I'm sure it's margins are sky high and good for profits).
Next year around this time the line should become 75D, 95D, and P95D (with variants). And so on and so on. It seems that instead of waiting on big battery improvements every few years, (going from the 85 to the 100, or 115) Tesla now will be shooting for smaller improvements every year.

I agree the 85 will vanish, but since it didn't today with the release of the 90, I don't think it will until next year at the earliest. Tesla likes to shake things up, but not that rapidly.

edit: The investor in me would have hated it, but they could have added the extra 5Kwh batteries to existing orders starting a few weeks ago and just snuck it into the line and bumped everyone up to 75 and 90's. Surprise! Right before the first deliveries made it to customers they release the news that all orders from June 25th on get the free upgrade. Then kill the 70 and 85 options all together.

For all the evidence we have, the 70kWh pack is using the same modules as the 85kWh pack. (The 60kWh pack had different modules, where some cells were replaced by ballast.)
According to yesterday's press conference, the 90kWh pack uses a different chemistry than before.

To sum it up : Tesla now builds 2 types of modules; the 'classic' (for 70kWh and 85kWh pack, using respectively 14 and 16 modules per pack) and the 'new' chemistry (for 90kWh*)

If they want to simplify their stocks and building lines, they will have stop making the classic modules, ditching both 70kWh and 85kWh packs and keeping the 90kWh. They could easily** build a ~75kWh pack using 14 of the 'new' chemistry modules.

To put it in an other way, to remove the 85kWh pack will not significantly simplify Tesla's logistics (but it will simplify the choice for consumers.)

*I speculate that the 90kWh pack uses 16 of the 'new' chemistry modules, but it's only a guess for now.
**If the above is true.

Anyone in California who travels into the mountains in winter conditions has good reason to get AWD. In the high country, the California Highway Patrol usually requires tire chains or cables on 2WD cars even if there is only a relatively small amount of snow and ice on the roads. This policy is way overkill for anyone used to driving in snow, but it helps to keep the snow-inexperienced masses under control by limiting the traffic volume and forcing people to drive slowly. Personally, I hate driving with chains and not everyone in my family is totally comfortable installing them, so we keep an older AWD car around for winter use.