Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Tesla sales people allowed to just completely lie to you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 2 weeks ago I received a message that the Model Y that we had placed the order for in March was ready for delivery. I called our sales contact we placed the order with, and told him we wanted to do a pick up at the end of December, because we did not need the car right away and I wanted to see what other incentives were coming. He said that if I don't pick up in the next 3 days, then I would lose the car completely, and I would have to wait until the following year to get a car, without the 3750 incentive. I repeatedly asked him if it was possible for more discounts to come out towards the end of the month, and he said with certainty no, Tesla would not be doing that. We really didn't need the car immediately. Several days later Tesla came out with the 10K supercharger miles. Today I found out they are increasing the discount from 3750 to 7500. I initially predicted this could happen, but believed him when he told me it is not possible. I get that he is a sales person trying to sell a car asap, but since when is it okay to just completely lie about the product you are selling?

• Funny
Reactions: morbidz
A. Are you unfamiliar with car salesmen? They invented lying about the products that they sell.
B. Tesla doesn’t have salesmen they just have people who help you place your orders on the website; something BTW you can do all by yourself
C. You agreed to buy a vehicle way back in March without any sales rebate or supercharger miles, if you don’t like the incredible fortune that you’ve received in lucking into a $3,750 discount that you were neither promised nor deserve; then let your reservation go and get something else
D. Who told you there is a $7,500 discount coming anyway?

About 2 weeks ago I received a message that the Model Y that we had placed the order for in March was ready for delivery. I called our sales contact we placed the order with, and told him we wanted to do a pick up at the end of December, because we did not need the car right away and I wanted to see what other incentives were coming. He said that if I don't pick up in the next 3 days, then I would lose the car completely, and I would have to wait until the following year to get a car, without the 3750 incentive. I repeatedly asked him if it was possible for more discounts to come out towards the end of the month, and he said with certainty no, Tesla would not be doing that. We really didn't need the car immediately. Several days later Tesla came out with the 10K supercharger miles. Today I found out they are increasing the discount from 3750 to 7500. I initially predicted this could happen, but believed him when he told me it is not possible. I get that he is a sales person trying to sell a car asap, but since when is it okay to just completely lie about the product you are selling?
Why are you assuming that he lied? At the time it’s true that there were no additional discounts. You want him to give you a speculative answer?

These are car salesmen we are talking about, right?

Did you think because they wear Tesla-branded polo shirts they aren’t also complete scumbags?

Reactions: cwerdna and brkaus
Do you mind taking a screenshot of the part where it talks about the 3750 people getting 2 rebates?

It says from 12/21-12/31, buyers get 7500 and 10k supercharging.
I’d love to see that screenshot too.

I took delivery of my Y on 12/10 to take advantage of the $3750. I was originally waiting for Jan 1 but the salesperson said they weren’t sure the car would qualify for the whole incentive anyway.

Anyway, it was delivered with 4 cosmetic imperfections. Before accepting delivery of the car, I messaged the sales team and asked how best to proceed. They told me to accept delivery and report the damage to service and it would be fixed.

My car has now had 3 separate service appointments and is finally in factory quality late today. 12/21

Meanwhile those who receive their cars today get 2x the incentive + 10k supercharging credit.

I get not getting the additional incentive if my car was in perfect condition upon delivery, but it wasn’t and finally is today. And I’ve spent 11 days dealing with their mistake.

I’ve been an owner for 6+ years and this is the first time I’ve been disenchanted.

Any suggestions to get the company’s attention are welcome. Although I have very low expectations. I’m just a number on a balance sheet.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
I picked up my car in June after waiting 8 months. Should I be upset I didn’t get a discount, supercharging miles and a car within a week of ordering?
Discounts/incentives happen, you can’t predict it. If you bought before the incentive you can’t expect anything as you purchased for a known amount and agreed to it. This isn’t Costco where you can return or get the difference refunded. You purchased a car at an agreed upon price. The next day the car gets discounted and supercharger miles are offered. Too bad, you aren’t owed anything. Get over it and just enjoy the car.

Any suggestions to get the company’s attention are welcome. Although I have very low expectations. I’m just a number on a balance sheet.
They don’t care. Your low expectations are warranted. Just like if prices went UP after you signed your paperwork, as has happened many times to many others throughout this year, there is nothing to do and no recourse for either party - your deal is done. The fact that you had post-delivery issues addressed couldn’t be more immaterial.

Enjoy your new car! :)

I picked up my car in June after waiting 8 months. Should I be upset I didn’t get a discount, supercharging miles and a car within a week of ordering?
Discounts/incentives happen, you can’t predict it. If you bought before the incentive you can’t expect anything as you purchased for a known amount and agreed to it. This isn’t Costco where you can return or get the difference refunded. You purchased a car at an agreed upon price. The next day the car gets discounted and supercharger miles are offered. Too bad, you aren’t owed anything. Get over it and just enjoy the car.
Purchased a brand new undamaged vehicle at a known price, yes. I’m sure you see how June to December is a bit different than 12/10 to 12/21 whilst dealing with delivery issues.

Purchased a brand new undamaged vehicle at a known price, yes. I’m sure you see how June to December is a bit different than 12/10 to 12/21 whilst dealing with delivery issues.
Where would you personally draw the line?

What would you do for the person that took delivery one day earlier than your arbitrary line?

Prices change over time. Sometimes in your favor. Sometimes not. Nobody owes you anything when things happen to not break in your favor, just like Tesla can’t ask you for $3750 more if they raise prices after you sign your paperwork.

Where would you personally draw the line?

What would you do for the person that took delivery one day earlier than your arbitrary line?

Prices change over time. Sometimes in your favor. Sometimes not. Nobody owes you anything when things happen to not break in your favor, just like Tesla can’t ask you for $3750 more if they raise prices after you sign your paperwork.
I’ll pose a question to you.

Let’s say Person A orders a car on 12/18. Person B orders a car on 12/19.

Person A receives car on 12/20 and notifies Tesla at minute 1 of ownership that it was delivered with a busted wheel, or door, or whatever. Tesla says “bring to service, no worries. We’ll fix it.“

Person B receives car 12/21, the same day a $5k discount is offered. The car is perfect.

Person A gets car back from service on 12/21 and the car is now perfect. They had their car in the same condition for the same amount of time as Person B but paid $5k more for the same car.

Fair?

June to December 21 and December 10 to December 21 is no different. Both are dates prior to the incentives being what they are now. You having delivery issues doesn’t make you entitled to incentives.

June to December 21 and December 10 to December 21 is no different. Both are dates prior to the incentives being what they are now. You having delivery issues doesn’t make you entitled to incentives.
I disagree entirely with the delivery issues part. If they only applied incentives that were offered the day you order, that’s one thing. But it’s not. It’s the price the day it’s delivered.

But if it’s not delivered in “brand new” condition and you put my car into service immediately…I mean come on.

I’ll pose a question to you.

Let’s say Person A orders a car on 12/18. Person B orders a car on 12/19.

Person A receives car on 12/20 and notifies Tesla at minute 1 of ownership that it was delivered with a busted wheel, or door, or whatever. Tesla says “bring to service, no worries. We’ll fix it.“

Person B receives car 12/21, the same day a $5k discount is offered. The car is perfect.

Person A gets car back from service on 12/21 and the car is now perfect. They had their car in the same condition for the same amount of time as Person B but paid $5k more for the same car.

Fair?

Was person A given the price at the time of sale and agree to pay it? If so, then seems fair to me.
Unless you get a Due Bill that says you will get a refund if the price drops within the next month, you are owed nothing.

Was person A given the price at the time of sale and agree to pay it? If so, then seems fair to me.
Unless you get a Due Bill that says you will get a refund if the price drops within the next month, you are owed nothing.
Both given the same price sheet upon order. Just pay different at delivery. But I hear you.

We just don’t see eye to eye.

Thanks for everyone’s insight. All will be well!

This is a solved problem, Tesla should just have a 30 day price match period. Addresses pretty much every scenario.

With random price drops that have no match window, it upsets people and makes future informed buyers reluctant to pull the trigger.
Can you name another vehicle manufacturer with a similar pricing policy?

Changing a vehicle purchase/lease/financing contract after the fact isn’t like refunding someone’s credit card $20 because the TV they just bought went on sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird