Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the USB ports always powered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the USB port always on? Specifically the right hand USB A port in the console.

I have a device that I'd like to be powered continuously whether I'm driving or the car is parked.

My Model Y was built in January 2021. It has the old console and the USB for the dashcam recordings is in the glovebox.

I think it[s powered until it goes to sleep. I have a raspberry pi in my conso0le and when the car goes to sleep, it powers off the pi. I think the only way around this would be to have a battery charge off the port and have your device plug in to that battery. Won't go forever, but will give you more live time.

Reactions: frankvb
I think it[s powered until it goes to sleep. I have a raspberry pi in my conso0le and when the car goes to sleep, it powers off the pi. I think the only way around this would be to have a battery charge off the port and have your device plug in to that battery. Won't go forever, but will give you more live time.
Yes, one car goes to sleep USB and 12v aux ports do shut off. Typically within 30 mins of auto lock. If Sentry is on, the ports stay active.

What kind of amperage does that port provide? I’ve been told that it needs to provide 1.5 - 2.0 amps for the device I’m thinking about using.
You are not going to get 1.5+ A via the USB-A port. That will max out at 0.5 or 0.9A, depending on whether it is USB 2.0 or USB 3

Best chance to get that kind of power is the USB-C port, or the 12V accessory connection (aka cigarette lighter plug).

Best chance to get that kind of power is the USB-C port, or the 12V accessory connection (aka cigarette lighter plug).
My car has a USB-C port in the front console that is driving the wireless charging pad. Also have two USB-C ports at the back of the console for the back seat. So they'll be higher amperage simply because they're USB-C?

My car has a USB-C port in the front console that is driving the wireless charging pad. Also have two USB-C ports at the back of the console for the back seat. So they'll be higher amperage simply because they're USB-C?

Yes. Google USB power for more info. Tesla does not really publish much info on these ports, so I doubt the type A connections will provide the kind of power you are looking to get. You can try and see if it will negotiate that much power, but chances are you will need to use the USB-C connection instead if you need a data connection to the car too.

If you only need power, no data, there are adapters to get that power from the the 12V accessory connection. For ex.
https://www.amazon.com/Wishinkle-Charger-Samsung-Qualcomm-Certified/dp/B07SJ1ZJ2D
There are many more out there, this is just one example, shop around.

Forgot that I had this handy little USB tester. Tested my iPhone 11 Pro plugged in both on USB A and USB C.

USB A port in console (5V 1.6A)
consoleusba.png

USB C port in console (used for factory wireless charging pad) (9V 2.2A)
consoleusbc.png

USB C port for rear seat passengers, back of console (9V 2A)
rearusbc.png

Last edited:
Bloody good info there! I was wondering especially about the output from the rear USB-Cs. I plugged in a tiny USB-C -> USB-A adapter and while it's tiny light is on indicating it's getting power, it won't charge any device unless I plug in directly to the USB-C.

Any idea of the output for the wireless charging pads? I have noticed they slow charge my IPhone 12 pro to the point that I might think about using a wired charging solution.

Any idea of the output for the wireless charging pads? I have noticed they slow charge my IPhone 12 pro to the point that I might think about using a wired charging solution.
The second photo in my post with the caption "USB C port in console (used for factory wireless charging pad) (9V 2.2A)" shows this. I disconnected the plug that feeds wireless charging pad, so that 9V 2.2A is what feeds it. How that translates into actual wireless charging I have no idea.

I did consider downgrading my car to not use the wireless charging pad and do it wired. Previous Model 3 and Model Y didn't have wireless charging. You might find a solution here.

Bloody good info there! I was wondering especially about the output from the rear USB-Cs. I plugged in a tiny USB-C -> USB-A adapter and while it's tiny light is on indicating it's getting power, it won't charge any device unless I plug in directly to the USB-C.

https://fccid.io/2AEIM-WC2/User-Manual/15-WC2-UserMan-US-4594069.pdf ???

9V 3A input, and max output of 15W
Since 9x3 = 27W max in, have to assume that 15W is total output.
No idea if that is 7.5W each side, or if only one side is in use then can you get more than 7.5W

Reactions: timeshifter

I have a 2022 MYP and think the built in Tesla wireless charger is useless. All it does is make my iPhone 13 pro very hot but hardly charges it. I use the wired usb-c for recharging the phone instead.

Reactions: teabone