TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Are the X 22s as prone to damage as S 21s?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by EKnight47, Jul 6, 2016.

1. EKnight47

EKnight47 Member

I test drove an X this weekend with the 22s. It looks to me that there is a little more rubber/sidewall (and therefore, protection) around the 22s on the X compared to that of the 21s on the S. I had very bad experiences with the 21s on my old S up here in New England. The 21s make the S look incredible, but I believe the 22s on the X make an even bigger difference appearance wise. Anyone have any thoughts on whether the 22s are as prone to damage as the 21s?

2. EKnight47

EKnight47 Member

Not enough data gathered I take it?

3. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

You might be right. All the 21" S's I've seen are pretty roughed up. Haven't come across enough 22 X's with miles to tell the difference.

4. jackbowers

jackbowers Jack Bowers

After 23k miles on my 22s I've got two relatively minor rashes despite being careful with curbs. The Perelli tires are a lot like the 21" Continentals in that they aren't much wider than the rims so even with gentle curb bumps you will sometimes end up with a rash.

• Like x 1
  5. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

After 80k kilometres (50k miles) my grey 21" wheels are still spotless. No rashes at all. Don't cut corners ;)

6. Gas Guzzler

Gas Guzzler Member

The 22"s are super low profile and the car itself is very wide so when I park, I really feel the need to get close to the curb. Parking on hills and curbing your tires can be especially prone to accidents with just a little slip/roll back. Scratches on onyx black rims will be very noticeable. I live in SF so maybe the streets and hills make it a bit nerve racking. Those giant rims take 10% to 15% of range also......But having said all that, you really can't beat the awesome look of the 22" rims!

7. jlochner

jlochner Member

They are very easy to damage. Even the lowest possible curb can cause major damage. Two of the four wheels on my X have minor damage, one has none and the fourth will need to be replaced. I curbed the rear passenger rim badly on a relatively low curb when someone was on the wrong side of the street while I was making a right. Looks terrible on my previously beautiful black onyx 22s.

Basically never park near a curb and DO NOT cut corners or you will be paying dearly

8. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

The onyx 22's are as fragile as a snowflake when it comes to curb rash. I even installed the rim protectors and it didn't matter. It's a shame that all the larger rims on the S and X are so easy to damage. Get the 20s and more range or get the 22s and worry.

• Helpful x 1
  9. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

After 12k miles, the 21s on my S are unmarked. I've an X on order and selected the 22s without hesitation. There were many well-intended posters warning me against the 21s, and I expect similar positions exist on the 22s. Probably just as prone to damage as the S, but so be it. If I moved back home to your neck of the woods, I'd be doing the winter/summer wheel swap-a-roo again as New England winters are just too hard on wheels.....and everything else for the matter.

10. b00st3d

b00st3d Member

Can the Model S 21s be put on the Model X?