Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the X 22s as prone to damage as S 21s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove an X this weekend with the 22s. It looks to me that there is a little more rubber/sidewall (and therefore, protection) around the 22s on the X compared to that of the 21s on the S. I had very bad experiences with the 21s on my old S up here in New England. The 21s make the S look incredible, but I believe the 22s on the X make an even bigger difference appearance wise. Anyone have any thoughts on whether the 22s are as prone to damage as the 21s?

After 23k miles on my 22s I've got two relatively minor rashes despite being careful with curbs. The Perelli tires are a lot like the 21" Continentals in that they aren't much wider than the rims so even with gentle curb bumps you will sometimes end up with a rash.

Reactions: cmc5dc
The 22"s are super low profile and the car itself is very wide so when I park, I really feel the need to get close to the curb. Parking on hills and curbing your tires can be especially prone to accidents with just a little slip/roll back. Scratches on onyx black rims will be very noticeable. I live in SF so maybe the streets and hills make it a bit nerve racking. Those giant rims take 10% to 15% of range also......But having said all that, you really can't beat the awesome look of the 22" rims!

They are very easy to damage. Even the lowest possible curb can cause major damage. Two of the four wheels on my X have minor damage, one has none and the fourth will need to be replaced. I curbed the rear passenger rim badly on a relatively low curb when someone was on the wrong side of the street while I was making a right. Looks terrible on my previously beautiful black onyx 22s.

Basically never park near a curb and DO NOT cut corners or you will be paying dearly

After 12k miles, the 21s on my S are unmarked. I've an X on order and selected the 22s without hesitation. There were many well-intended posters warning me against the 21s, and I expect similar positions exist on the 22s. Probably just as prone to damage as the S, but so be it. If I moved back home to your neck of the woods, I'd be doing the winter/summer wheel swap-a-roo again as New England winters are just too hard on wheels.....and everything else for the matter.