Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there 3rd Gen Seats in '19/20 Models?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1st and 2nd gen seats are well documented for the Model 3 due to the styling differences, but it seems as if there was a newer seat that started showing up sometime in late 2019. I am referring to the comfort only, as they are visibly the same. My friend's 2020 M3P (Late '19 build) feels noticeably different when I sit in it, and I recently sat in a Model Y that felt the same. My 2018 M3 with the 2nd gen seats feels a bit harder and "hits" differently on my back.

Can anyone confirm? I suspect this change may have gone into effect when they got rid of the leather steering wheel. The representative at a Tesla showroom mentioned something about this too, but I hadn't read about it on the internet.

I had a 05/2019 Model 3 whose seats were 2nd gen and firmer than the Model Y that I just picked up. I noticed the somewhat subtle difference right away. The other more major difference is the steering wheel. My Model 3 had the leather and felt much thicker, while the newer steering wheel is significantly thinner and slipperier to grip. The steering wheel change I had read about but never experienced before.