Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there any 18" Model 3 tires as/more efficient than the Michelin MXM4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are some 18" tires that are as efficient or more efficient than the stock Michelin MXM4?

This would be for a 2018 LR RWD in Northern California with minimal rain, no snow, and unspirited, boring, keeping 3 seconds behind cars driving.

Thanks
I went with Firestone Indy 500 245/45/18. I haven’t noticed any range loss from the tires. I’m in Atlanta so similar winter weather and driving.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What are some 18" tires that are as efficient or more efficient than the stock Michelin MXM4?
Yes, but they don’t have the XL load rating needed for the Model 3; specifically, the Michelin Energy Saver A/S.

I’ll also note that the Pilot Sport 4 is completely different than the Pilot Sport All Season 4, linked on the previous post, and neither has the efficiency of the Primacy MXM4 T1 tire.

The Tesla engineers optimized their tire selection for efficiency. It’d be very hard to find a more efficient tire that doesn’t have questionable safety compromises.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
Upvote 0
I hope you know that there are other considerations than efficiency, right? You can pump your tire up to over 50 ft. lbs. and get more miles on the tire, but the ride will be terrible and the steering sketchy. Tires are meant to give range AND comfort. There are so many things that affect the tread life of a tire, and a lot of it is how you drive. I live at 1500 ft. elevation, and I know that driving up and down this hill, around corners, using regen and conventional braking (NOT breaking!), my tires get a lot more wear than those that only drive on the freeway at 55 mph. straight line.

An electric car is already over four times more efficient that a gas engine car. Isn't that enough? I'd bet that you never worried about efficiency when you had a gas car. Even a Prius doesn't do well compared to an electric.

Upvote 0
Depends on your commute. The right tire/wheel combo may mean the difference between having to make a charge stop or not. Especially if you don't want to charge to 100% make it there and back without a supercharger stop.

So for some people it isn't about relative efficiency to other cars but about absolute efficiency. I had one commute (220 miles round trip) in my Y that with less than idea circumstances I wasn't going to make it there and back without a charger somewhere. The same trip in my 3, driven the same way, I can easily make it there and back with energy to spare even on a cold day.

So far very happy with the efficiency of the 3's stock tires and 18" wheels. I definitely wouldn't want to give up any efficiency as I would have to either slow down a lot on my trip or waste time at a supercharger.

Upvote 0

This would be for a 2018 LR RWD in Northern California with minimal rain, no snow, and unspirited, boring, keeping 3 seconds behind cars driving.

Thanks
I just put a set on Nokian One tires on this afternoon , I’ll let you know how the efficiency is after a few hundred miles.

Reactions: markc2 and Pricedm
Upvote 0
I went with Firestone Indy 500 245/45/18. I haven’t noticed any range loss from the tires. I’m in Atlanta so similar winter weather and driving.
Thank you this is the type of data I would like to hear about. There are surprisingly very few straight comparisons of efficiencies to the MXM4.

The data on stopping distance, noise, ride comfort, and tread life can more readily found.

The question of whether tires are, equal or more efficient than the MXM4 ie wh/mile is much hard to ferret out.

Tires are the most expensive part on this car needing maintenance and the data can be easily seen after driving several thousand miles in wh/mile. Is it better or worse compared to the stock tires. but is not collated anywhere that I can find.

BTW I'm having a shop put the tires on so it has to meet the load and speed requirements of the model 3 and no funny business with overinflating tires etc.

Upvote 0
An electric car is already over four times more efficient that a gas engine car. Isn't that enough? I'd bet that you never worried about efficiency when you had a gas car. Even a Prius doesn't do well compared to an electric.
Actually, I did in both choosing and driving non-electric vehicles before driving electric vehicles.

What is annoying about tire shopping is that it is hard to find measured differences in economy of different tire models. In many cases, it may be worth trading off economy (and therefore fuel/electric cost and range) for better performance when replacing tires, but it is hard to determine whether any given option is worth it to you if you do not know how much economy you are trading off for whatever better performance. Put it another way, any effect on economy that the tire gives should really be considered as affecting the price of the tire in determining if the tire is worth it, but that requires known how much any such effect actually is.

Upvote 0
the data can be easily seen after driving several thousand miles in wh/mile. Is it better or worse compared to the stock tires. but is not collated anywhere that I can find.
It is not actually so easy. Say someone changes tires in the spring. Their old data was mostly from colder temps, and new data will be mostly from warmer temps. Driving habits may have also changed. Speed calibration will change since tires have varying diameters even at the same stated size, and the old ones will have been worn and smaller.

Anyway tons of sources of error, certainly large differences can be seen easily, but small ones really require you do careful testing on an oval, with new tires, or on a machine. Occasionally people do that, I wish it was done more.

Reactions: superflyrolla
Upvote 0
Got any results to report yet? Tire shopping this week... TIA
Sure. I've put just over 1400 miles on them so far and am averaging 280 Wh/mile according to Teslafi. It's been abnormally cold and windy this spring with the average temperature of those drives being just over 45 degrees. I wasn't running Teslafi last year at this time so it's tough to compare apples to apples on efficiency. I am sitting at a lifetime average of 239 Wh/mile (mix of OEM MXM4s and Hakkapeliitta R3) so while so far the consumption is higher I expect that to come down as the temperature increases and I run the heater less.

I don't have any regrets on the tires though. They're decently quiet, have good traction, handle well, and appear to be wearing well.

Upvote 0
Wouldn’t any new tire show less efficiency due to the way efficiency is calculated based on wheel revolutions? New tires are slightly bigger then worn out tires with less tread depth,,so number of revolutions is less per mile. Or does Tesla using GPS or other means to calculate distance driven and consumption?

Upvote 0