Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there any 3rd party monitoring tools?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the car there are many 3rd party tools that monitor and provide all kinds of cool data (tezlab, teslafi, teslamate etc). Is there anything similar for solar? I'd love more detail, weather data, advanced charting/logging. Does anything like that exist? I do not have powerwalls and have tesla inverters if that matters.

Yes, most Inverters provide that data. Also there are a number of devices that use Current Transformers such as Sense, Emporia Energy and others.
Sorry if I wasn't clear I meant an application that uses existing hardware/API and collects the data and can be graphed, correlated with weather patterns and otherwise interpreted and displayed in ways above and beyond the Tesla app. I like to keep my data like I do for my car so I can see trends and patterns over time.

yes - pvoutput. there are a couple uploaders for that website. i use one that runs on my local network but there are probably others that pull from tesla’s API.

I only see Powerwall2PVoutput as an uploader. I'll have to dig in to this further.

Home Assistant has an integration that uses the local API
Oh I like this option as it is self hosted. I usually run things like this on my NAS. I see a powerwall integration component but nothing for solar only:

i think the main PVO uploader supports powerwall; it is a java program:

another crazy option is - if you have apple devices and are using HomeKit anyway, is to use the homebridge plugin here:

this one utilizes a package called FakeGato that will provide enhanced HomeKit devices that are only compatible with the ElGato Eve app. it exports the powerwall as a thermometer and thus allows history to be saved.

Oh I like this option as it is self hosted. I usually run things like this on my NAS. I see a powerwall integration component but nothing for solar only:

There is no standard local API for solar only installs. Historically Tesla/SolarCity has used different vendors (e.g. Xantrex, SolarEdge, Delta) for the solar inverter. Some of those vendors have data collection abilities, some of those can even be made available to the end user. In all the case Tesla had some sort of "gateway" that used to upload data to mothership but I'm not aware of anyone finding a local API to interact with.

With the advent of the Tesla solar inverter there is some hope but so far no one has been able to connect locally to a Tesla solar inverter and get anything interesting out of it (some information has been gathered during the short provisioning mode).