Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there any contacts for escalating solar progress?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my solar roof installation completed 9 weeks ago now and Tesla reps literally will NOT send the job completion document to my utility so i can fill out the net-metering form. Utility is waiting on the document before i can get the net-metering form, and need net-metering form before i can turn the system on. Zero conscious humans at Tesla doing anything of value, nothing ever happens until i reach out and then all of the sudden the docusign document is in my inbox to sign.

Does anyone know how to escalate this, go up the chain of command, contact their managers, literally ANYTHING or ANYONE that i can just get someone to send the damned document to my utility so i can turn the system on? Losing weeks upon months of production here because of total incompetence.

Any help would be nice, thanks.

Our current knowledge around this is contained in this thread:

(short answer, no, we are unaware of any escalation contacts)

Reactions: Electrph
If you can run on PV and battery only, simply turn off your service disconnect at your main breaker box and run the system in backup mode. Been doing that myself until I have PTO ... been 3 weeks since inspection passed and Tesla has not filed the paper work with SCE ... pretty ridiculous as everything is in an online portal!

Appreciate the advice, but i dont have any batteries and the solar installation was a breaker tie-in. So there is no way to prevent backfeed for overproduction. I completely understand why Tesla is doing Solar to Batteries now because the approval process is an absolute nightmare. But ya it seems like theres just literally nothing i can do. March 30th was when my solar passed inspection, so we're about to exceed 2 months past inspection and already 9 weeks after installation.

I had two thoughts:
(1) If you have evidence of a completed solar/electrical permit/inspection from your locality, maybe you could submit that to your utility in lieu of a document from Tesla.
(2) Did you pay your bill in full? I'm assuming you did, but if not that could be holding things up.

I had two thoughts:
(1) If you have evidence of a completed solar/electrical permit/inspection from your locality, maybe you could submit that to your utility in lieu of a document from Tesla.
(2) Did you pay your bill in full? I'm assuming you did, but if not that could be holding things up.
2nd point is good ... have read many instances where payment seems to move PTO along even though should not be relevant

Last edited:
Literally all Tesla needs to do is send the job completion document to my utility, as just a formal document saying the job is done, then i can fill out the net-metering form.
It is true that all it takes is for Tesla to send the application to your utility, but it is more than just a completion document, I think they have to send your city permit as well as the design/install plan. There may also be a queue in Tesla for submitting the PTO request, they simply have to check all the documents needed for your PTO before submission. In my case, there was a last minute change from Delta to Tesla inverter and they need my city to review the permit again (I saw the additional charge for second permit review from my building permit site) and to change the design/install plan.

Solar is on loan and have evidence of completion because the loan company notified me of the final job price. Have the work permit which is proof that the job can commence but not that its done.

Already tried that tho. I've called them 3 times asking them if there is literally any thing under the sun that i can do, and they simply cant do it if they're waiting for the official document from Tesla.

It is true that all it takes is for Tesla to send the application to your utility, but it is more than just a completion document, I think they have to send your city permit as well as the design/install plan. There may also be a queue in Tesla for submitting the PTO request, they simply have to check all the documents needed for your PTO before submission. In my case, there was a last minute change from Delta to Tesla inverter and they need my city to review the permit again (I saw the additional charge for second permit review from my building permit site) and to change the design/install plan.
I did make a permit revision by changing the inverter type. So perhaps they proceeded with the installation even though they didnt get the permit back. I dont know and doubt they will ever tell me the truth in that regard, but 7 weeks to send a document to the utility, theres something more going on there.

I did make a permit revision by changing the inverter type. So perhaps they proceeded with the installation even though they didnt get the permit back. I dont know and doubt they will ever tell me the truth in that regard, but 7 weeks to send a document to the utility, theres something more going on there.

That probably required re pulling permits, however long that takes tesla to submit, and the local AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) to do. That is likely a large part of your wait.

just heard back from Tesla on my own project. after design and feedback they have now decided that they don’t work with my roof type. frustrating. you’d think a company based on innovation can put panels on a near flat roof, but seems that’s harder than getting to space

just heard back from Tesla on my own project. after design and feedback they have now decided that they don’t work with my roof type. frustrating. you’d think a company based on innovation can put panels on a near flat roof, but seems that’s harder than getting to space
So you think any company can afford to stay in business with cheap prices on complex jobs?

I think we need a sticky thread in here to explain expectations around Tesla's policies and behaviors. So people who may be in a research stage have a single reference before going to Tesla.com and submitting for a solar project.

If/when folks come to TMC posting that Tesla isn't delivering on complex Energy expectations, all the complaints get dumped in there. It'll start to resemble the mega-long hundreds of complaints panel gap + bad paint threads in the Tesla vehicle subforums.