Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there any discounts or free options when paying cash for new Tesla S in Canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people have reported getting free merchandise from the store, if you put a deposit down or finalize your order in-store, but that's about it. I got a couple water bottles.

About 8 weeks and 2300 miles after delivery, I still think it's worth every penny I paid.

No matter how you pay for a car, the dealer (or Tesla in this case) gets the funds. Cash, bank finance, manufacturer finance, or lease, it's all the same. Paying cash in the automotive world means nothing. Let's face it, the only time paying cash means something is when you aren't charged tax for a service or merchandise because there is no receipt (and that is illegal of course lol)

Let's face it, the only time paying cash means something is when you aren't charged tax for a service or merchandise because there is no receipt (and that is illegal of course lol)
That's not entirely true. There's also the time it takes to get paid, and the fees of using credit cards and the like.

I was once invoiced for a $20 item I bought in a store, because their card terminal was down. That meant they didn't receive my money for almost 2 months; if this were standard procedure they could easily struggle with staying afloat. I'm not entirely familiar with the "checks" the Americans use, but I assume it's the same thing there, it takes time to get the money. Credit card companies also charge the merchant 1-4% of the amount charged to a credit card.

Of course, none of this has much relevance when it comes to buying a 70-120k USD car. I would think that few people pay by credit card, and the few days it takes to get the money isn't crucial.

In the regular dealer-network car buying world, I think the "pay cash" incentive for discount works because it tells a dealer you're serious, you want to buy today, and you'll stop shopping if they take your money immediately. They value volume as much as profit.

Past couple of times I went to purchase a car through a dealer I started as if I was going to finance, then switched to cash on the last volley with the "I'll pay $x today, in cash, and do the deal right now." I also show up in grubby-ish clothes, bring the wife and kids, etc.

It has worked for "normal" cars (Hondas for me). Actually, in that case the dealer first said "no" to the cash offer, so I walked away. About 2 hours later I got a phone call: "was thinking about the deal, your kids clearly liked the car, I have one left on the lot, I'll take the cash."

I find it a little odd, since dealer financing is such a robust money maker for dealerships you'd think they would be disappointed with cash, but in the end they'd rather sell more cars, and "some money" beats "no money." The discount wasn't all that much for cash, sometimes an option I didn't want is free, but enough to be worth the effort.

I didn't miss haggling (or the drama) one bit for the purchase of my Model S. Ordered online, wired them the money, showed up to pick up my car, and drove off-- so smooth. I feel I got what I paid for, and the sting of the purchase disappeared somewhere between the factory and home :).

/Mitch.