Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

are there any level 2 home chargers that can charge faster than 48amps/12,000 watts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
are there any level 2 home chargers that can charge faster than 48amps/12,000 watts?
Yes, there are plenty. Aside from the older Tesla connectors @jjrandorin mentioned, there are other brands like Clipper Creek that sell units that can supply more than 48A. They have ones you can have on a 100A circuit that can supply 80A. But the limitation is not in that outside unit. It's a limit in the car. That outside unit is really just a connector. It does some communication with the car and safety checks and then just closes a switch. It's the unit in the car that is the battery charger that takes that AC circuit connection and converts it to DC to charge the battery. And all of the current Teslas being sold only have onboard chargers that can handle at most 48A, so that's what you can get, regardless of what the external connector is capable of offering.

Pray tell what sort of use case scenario you're in that you think 48a won't be sufficient for your daily charging needs.
Time of use charging. I returned home with 14% yesterday and charging just to 50% at that rate puts me out of my super off peak window. My 2016 had duals and charged MUCH faster than my current 2022.

Time of use charging. I returned home with 14% yesterday and charging just to 50% at that rate puts me out of my super off peak window. My 2016 had duals and charged MUCH faster than my current 2022.
FWIW, I'm guessing that the cost difference would never have paid for itself under that sole use case if you had been given the option to pay for a faster on-board charger during ordering (to be clear, there is no such option, I'm just saying I suspect that it would come at a significant cost if there were).

As mentioned some older Teslas like my 2017 X had dual onboard charging circuits. So today I charge at 72A. My wife’s M3 tops out at 48A
Did some older Teslas have dual charging units? Yes. Does yours? I don't think so. The dual charger option could actually charge at 80A while the single charger could only charge at 40A. These were no longer available by 2017 (not sure when it went away, but they may even pre-date the first Model X [@Redmiata98 could potentially confirm whether the 2016 X mentioned charged at 72A or 80A if it ever charged on a 100A circuit]). You do have a charger upgrade option that used to be available (I have the same one), but that wasn't the name of the option and doesn't necessarily properly describe it. I've heard it described as a third module where each module does 24A, but I don't know if that is accurate, only that I've charged at 40A and 80A in different much older loaners while my 2017 option did not include the word "dual" and maxed out at 72A on the same circuit.

When the X first came out as a P90L in the 2016 “model” year the onboard converters were either 48 or 72. I had the 72 and it was called a “High Amperage Charger Upgrade” (at the time the higher output converter was called a “dual” which was probably a misnomer) which required a 100 amp circuit and produced 47/48 mph recharge rates. This option provided a little over 22% faster charging to the car. The limit is the car’s hardware not the exterior HPWC. This option is not available now. Hence, if you are installing a separate charging line there is no advantage to having the 100 amp line which nets 80amps because you can’t take advantage of it now. My 2016 could benefit from the faster home charging but it appears the charge limit has been lowered. There is no doubt that slower charging is better for the long life of the battery but inconvenient if you have Time Of Use electric rates. WRT higher cost, the option cost was around $2k if installed later but I got all upgrades free when I ordered my Founder’s edition. So for me, my only cost increase was the difference in installation cost of the higher copper wire gauge required and paid for itself.. As a side note, my peak charging rate is around 0.17/kwh vice the 0.44/kwh charged @ my local Tesla Supercharger😇.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
I almost gave you a like for the description of the chargers, but then got to this:
There is no doubt that slower charging is better for the long life of the battery but inconvenient if you have Time Of Use electric rates.
ALL home charging is very extremely slow charging from the battery's perspective. It makes no difference at all to the battery's health. You are quibbling about the differences between 11 or 17 kW. That's irrelevant to the battery pack, which can take over 100 kW power levels. So treatment of the battery should not be a factor in why people decide on their charging setups at all.

Wonder if there might be problems exercising battery warranty with Tesla if you increased to 72A as Tesla appears to have intentionally reduced the charging capability. They must have had a reason, it might be for battery longevity. NB that when I got my “14 S, they said Supercharging would NOT effect the battery but Tesla now says it DOES, so recommends slower charging for battery longevity.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Did some older Teslas have dual charging units? Yes. Does yours? I don't think so. The dual charger option could actually charge at 80A while the single charger could only charge at 40A. These were no longer available by 2017 (not sure when it went away, but they may even pre-date the first Model X [@Redmiata98 could potentially confirm whether the 2016 X mentioned charged at 72A or 80A if it ever charged on a 100A circuit]). You do have a charger upgrade option that used to be available (I have the same one), but that wasn't the name of the option and doesn't necessarily properly describe it. I've heard it described as a third module where each module does 24A, but I don't know if that is accurate, only that I've charged at 40A and 80A in different much older loaners while my 2017 option did not include the word "dual" and maxed out at 72A on the same circuit.
Well. Thinking you know it all and actually knowing it all are two different things. Yes my 2017 has the dual charge, it was an option still in 2017. Yes I can charge at 80 amps but things get pretty warm at 72 so I leave it there. Maybe research some, Google can help. Anyway just letting the OP know there were options but not so much anymore.

Yes my 2017 has the dual charge, it was an option still in 2017. Yes I can charge at 80 amps but things get pretty warm at 72 so I leave it there.
I don't think any of this is true at all (except for your personal statement of what charging level you choose to use). The Model X was already introduced with the 72A maximum new single piece chargers. The Model S still had the "single/dual" until they did the "facelift" refresh in the Spring of 2016, which was when the redid their chargers to match the single piece units that the X was using, so all of the facelift style Model S cars only have the 72A maximum, not 80A.

Maybe research some, Google can help.
I was following this stuff every single day in the forum from actual owners, which is more accurate than Google searching it.

Well. Thinking you know it all and actually knowing it all are two different things.
They sure are. You should heed your own advice.
Yes my 2017 has the dual charge, it was an option still in 2017.
The 72 amp “high amperage charger” option available in 2017 is not a “dual charge”. It’s a single onboard unit composed of three internal 24 amp charging boards (vs. 2 in the standard 48 amp charger).

Yes I can charge at 80 amps
No, you can’t.

They sure are. You should heed your own advice.

The 72 amp “high amperage charger” option available in 2017 is not a “dual charge”. It’s a single onboard unit composed of three internal 24 amp charging boards (vs. 2 in the standard 48 amp charger).

No, you can’t.
Again. OP asked if you can charge above 48amps. You can. 2017 MX had an optional charge circuit option which I have. Whether it is “dual” or triple charging boards is pointless. Answer - Yes some Teslas can charge above 48amps.

My purchase paperwork list 80amp max charge current. I have kept it at 72 because things get Pretty warm. Maybe it can’t hit 80 amps. That was not the OP question. Someone telling me I can only charge at 48 is wrong.

Well come on now. I could get behind that last part. That wouldn't be the first time Tesla has had outdated, incorrect information in their documentation. I mean to this very day, they still list that the Model 3 can only get 3 mph recharging speed from a 5-15 outlet (which is ridiculously wrong) because that's what the old original Model S from 2012 had in that table. So I could believe that the delivery paperwork was messed up and incorrect and may have still listed 80A chargers on the 2017 cars because someone for got to change it.

But as to what the 2017 car is actually capable of physically, that's only 72A.