Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

are there any level 2 home chargers that can charge faster than 48amps/12,000 watts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
are there any level 2 home chargers that can charge faster than 48amps/12,000 watts?
If you charge at home overnight, you don't need to charge that fast. That's why they're called "home" chargers I've never had a problem charging to full overnight. And I can't imagine a scenario where you'd need to fill up in a couple hours before the other teenager needs it at midnight.

You are right there. Not like the documentation or Elon have been very accurate over time.

The only point I was trying to make for the OP was that, yes, some Teslas can charge over 48 amps but not so much any more. Didn’t need any Summers Eve toting peiple to jump in and make noise. But it is the internet so noise happens.

are there any level 2 home chargers that can charge faster than 48amps/12,000 watts?
21 replies, and not one person answered the OP's actual question.

Could be useful if you have a Ford lightning, or other EV that can accept that much power.

Rivian, Hummer and most other EVs can only accept 48A of power, Lightning being able to accept 80A.

21 replies, and not one person answered the OP's actual question.
Do you want to give a try to...maybe...READING...the 21 replies? I answered it in the second reply.
Yes, there are plenty. Aside from the older Tesla connectors @jjrandorin mentioned, there are other brands like Clipper Creek that sell units that can supply more than 48A. They have ones you can have on a 100A circuit that can supply 80A.

Wonder if there might be problems exercising battery warranty with Tesla if you increased to 72A as Tesla appears to have intentionally reduced the charging capability. They must have had a reason, it might be for battery longevity. NB that when I got my “14 S, they said Supercharging would NOT effect the battery but Tesla now says it DOES, so recommends slower charging for battery longevity.
The upgraded charging was an option, and having options increases production cost & complexity. My impession has always been that they went to 48A only to cut said cost & complexity by standardizing.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I have a 2018 July MX. Is there any way to find out without tearing the car apart what the maximum charge my car can handle? I think when I look at the charging display in the car, when I am at the superchargers, I see 72 amps in the display. At home where I have a Nema 6-15 plug for my portable charger, I see the charge rate at 12 amps listed.

I have a 2018 July MX. Is there any way to find out without tearing the car apart what the maximum charge my car can handle? I think when I look at the charging display in the car, when I am at the superchargers, I see 72 amps in the display. At home where I have a Nema 6-15 plug for my portable charger, I see the charge rate at 12 amps listed.
If you see 72A on the charging screen while not plugged in, I think that means you can charge @ 72. Unless it has changed with the v11 UX, the display should show the maximum negotiated rate once you are plugged in (so after you plug in you mobile connector, it should show 12 instead of 72). In my experience, if a loaner didn't have the 72A charger, it would show 48 while not plugged in. That having been said, it could have changed, as I don't remember the 72 showing last time I supercharged (pre v11).

If you see 72A on the charging screen while not plugged in, I think that means you can charge @ 72. Unless it has changed with the v11 UX, the display should show the maximum negotiated rate once you are plugged in (so after you plug in you mobile connector, it should show 12 instead of 72). In my experience, if a loaner didn't have the 72A charger, it would show 48 while not plugged in. That having been said, it could have changed, as I don't remember the 72 showing last time I supercharged (pre v11).
The highest we've seen on our vehicles has been 48 so if he's seeing 72, I believe you are correct and his car can potentially charge at up to 72 amps.

• Helpful
Reactions: mxnym
2018s could charge at up to 72 amps. This assumes maximum using a Tesla Wall connector programmed and wired correctly with a 90 (or 100) amp circuit. With 6-15 plug attached to the mobile charger, it drops to 80% of 15 amps (12). if you used the 14-50 plug it would allow up to the maximum of the mobile connector or 32 amps.

Many folks with legacy X vehicles, limited their chargers to 48 amps (60 amp circuit). Circuits over 60 amps are much more difficult or expensive to install. 48 amps is enough for an overnight charge, so Tesla reduced the maximum AC charging to 48 amps on all new vehicles. I ended up with a 60 amp circuit serving two wall connectors, set up for load sharing.

If you charge at home overnight, you don't need to charge that fast. That's why they're called "home" chargers I've never had a problem charging to full overnight. And I can't imagine a scenario where you'd need to fill up in a couple hours before the other teenager needs it at midnight.

I have had several instances where charging at 72 A (the max on my 2018 X) was very helpful. Some midday charging, and sometimes coming home late after an event at night, and needing to get going early in the morning. No teenagers needed. ;)

Reactions: mxnym