TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Are there any products out there that protect the rims? XPEL?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by SoCalMom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. SoCalMom

SoCalMom Member

Our rims got scratched for the 2nd time in less than a week. Is there anything like PPF for rims? The first time it was a small chip from someone (not me) taking a turn too close to the curb. This time it's from a bad parallel parking job (again, not me). It looks like half of the rim is scratched. :(

2. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

#2 S3XY, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    You can get these to protect against curb rash. You can't really use PPF for protection since it would be too hard to put it on. Probably the best you can do for general protection is put a ceramic coating on it.

3. dswansonsb

dswansonsb Member

You're not alone. Messed up the right rear rim on my car. $175 to get it repaired. Too bad the aero caps didn't extend over the outer rim. Then it'd be only a $30 oops.

4. Raechris

Raechris Member

My installer coated rims with a full ceramic called Kenzo and no issues after a bad NE winter. Product carries an advertised 10H hardness level and washes beautifully.

5. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

There is no coating that will save your rims from curb rash. They're aluminum, the curb is rough concrete. The curb will always win.

Rim edge bands can provide a cheap bumper to absorb an impact.

• Like x 1
  6. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

If you can stand the look of stuck on plastic rim protectors. Your right. The curb will always win. Especially on wheel rims like the 3 has that are level with the tire sidewall. Even the rim protector molded into the Contis hasn’t prevented rim rash. Personally planning on parking a foot from the curb.

7. PlayaVista

PlayaVista Member

My solution. Only time will tell how it wears and/or protects over time so no comment on that. Also no comment on whether they look good to you or not - very subjective.

Cost - $50. Search for Turtle Wax Rim Protector on Amazon.
    Time to put on - 60 minutes (wash wheel, dry, alcohol wipe, dry, peel-and-stick, super glue band connectors)

My Tesla Rim Rash Solution

8. scrapps

scrapps Member

15F9E37A-8068-4CE3-B2C6-F49F3F357B65.jpeg 5E3A6728-19CB-43FB-A69E-41BFDE696CC2.jpeg Pilot sports are shaped such that they provide some protection for the rims. Disclaimer I have not tested this yet, and don’t plan to ;)

9. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

I can almost guarantee you that they will not. When you're pushing a 2-ton car against an unmoving curb, that tire will be pushed out of the way like it's made out of putty.

10. TT97

TT97 Active Member

I have similar shaped tires and it has protected my rims, however, only on a light touch of the curb. If you hit a curb hard it will not do much.

11. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Curb rash is just a part of life. You'll never prevent it.

12. SoCalMom

SoCalMom Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. The touch up paint really helps disguise the damage (that's what I'm telling myself, I haven't looked at it in direct sunlight yet). I'm going to hold off for now. But if this happens again, I'm going to get something like the alloy gator or the turtle wax rim protector.