Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there any TM3s out there without ANY issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

First time poster here. Have followed the forum for quite a while since I have been a 2nd day Model 3 reservation holder.

I have followed enthusiastically every bit of info that has been trickling out ever since the Model 3 unveil. I am not a fanboy who will ignore factual issues for the greater good (whatever this may be to you), also not a previous Tesla owner. I am more representative of what the Model 3 was claimed as being aimed at, the mass of consumers. A father of 2 little ones, with a good paying stable job but also cost-conscious. I don't hesitate spending more for quality - provided it is there. I normally buy new, but hang on to the car for long periods to justify the expense of a depreciating assett.

I am enthusiastic about going greener (I know - debatable once factoring in the whole production chain and energy sources), saving on a vehicle with less moving parts and thus likely requiring less maintenance and repair (putting aside the potential cost of battery replacement after a yet to be determined end of life cycle, as well as potentially high Tesla repair costs), saving on "fuel" cost, owning a great looking safe car, etc. However, I am concerned about the issues I am constantly reading about. You may not like how they are being reported (Munro's vids come to mind), but they do appear to have a basis in facts. The question is, how frequent are these issues or are they being blow out of proportion? I won't hesitate in buying the LR model, but $50+k is a considerable amount of money and I would want to make sure that the expense makes sense in my mind. I rely on the cars that I drive for both work and privately, and cannot afford to be constantly bogged down with car issues.

Having said this, how many Model 3 owners who have had the car for over a month have had zero issues whatsoever? Ignoring issues because they don't strike you as a big deal doesn't count as "zero" for this exercise. I appreciate if you can mention how long you've had the car and whether there were zero issues or otherwise.

Thank you!

I have a question....are you a reporter ?
A suggestion you can do a search, like problems with the model 3 or issues the M3 either with google search engine or searching on this forum.

No reporter, just your typical consumer weighing pros and cons on a substantial purchase. I obviously did plenty of research as you suggested, but most material out there seems to either be heavily leaning towards one side (either pro or con) or does not really tackle the big picture I am trying to get at. Being this forum a gathering point for Model 3 owners, it is only natural to inquire herein.

No reporter, just your typical consumer weighing pros and cons on a substantial purchase. I obviously did plenty of research as you suggested, but most material out there seems to either be heavily leaning towards one side (either pro or con) or does not really tackle the big picture I am trying to get at. Being this forum a gathering point for Model 3 owners, it is only natural to inquire herein.

BTW, let's focus on feedback from actual owners. :)

Owned mine since early Jan, 2641 miles.

No hardware issues, only one small rattle in the passenger pillar.

Software issues abound, though, and range from mildly annoying (blinker noises going silent) to pretty annoying (50/50 sucess rate on phone as key) to wowzers! (3 days in a row my screen would flash between nav, audio settings, change audio source channels, then raise the volume to max over and over again, requiring a reboot to fix. Good times. Turned off speed sensitive volume and havent seen it happen since)

Hello!
Thank you!
Hi! Welcome to TMC.
I doubt you'll get info with any predictive value from this exercise. "Issues" are highly subjective, e.g. I kind of wish I ordered the red with sport wheels.
Is that an issue?
The rear camera has lower resolution than the camera in the S&X; I prefer the latter. Is that an issue?
Also, your processing statistically distorted, forum commentary against a rapidly changing production line where many perceptible issues will diminish and perhaps a few more will arise.

FWIW, I've never owned a new car, computer, smart phone or house without issues at some level. However, the last time I got so much satisfaction-pure-joy from a car purchase as my 6 week old Model 3 was my '13 Model S.

Based on your concerns though, my advice is to wait until you can do a few test drives and see the Model 3 for yourself. In a year, there will be more useful data from multiple sources. That's a more traditional approach for those disinclined to be early adopters.

Last edited:

first, welcome to TMC.

now, we'll see how much feedback you are able to get to your thread here, but, as you are looking for some data as a consumer, it's worth noting that Tesla's comments in the LA Times article contained the only collection of data (vs. anecdotes) on many Model 3s vehicle quality and condition according to owners which I am aware of.

"In a statement to The Times, the company said: "Tesla's customer satisfaction scores for Model 3 vehicle quality and condition are at an all-time high of 94% — the best scores we've received from customers for quality and condition ever, across all of our vehicles, during early ownership. In the rare case a customer does have an issue, we take it very seriously, working closely with each owner to proactively address it." "

When you combine that with the fact that the Model S and X have put Tesla at the number 1 spot in Consumer Reports surveys of owner satisfaction (a survey based on the question of whether an owner would buy the same vehicle again), the TM3 outscoring the S and X thus far is quite very encouraging.

Also worth considering from that article- it indicates that Munro was hired by another automaker to tear down the Model 3. I.e, Munro's comments were not just an anecdotal account of one car, but, they are the account of people being paid by another automaker specifically for their look at the Model 3. I'm not so sure what value there would be in some public comments to the media about Pepsi soda from someone paid by Coke to do research for them on Pepsi, lols : )

Hi! Welcome to TMC.
I doubt you'll get info with any predictive value from this exercise. "Issues" are highly subjective, e.g. I kind of wish I ordered the red with sport wheels.
Is that an issue?
The rear camera has lower resolution than the camera in the S&X; I prefer the latter. Is that an issue?
Also, your processing statistically distorted, forum commentary against a rapidly changing production line where many perceptible issues will diminish and perhaps a few more will arise.

FWIW, I've never owned a new car, computer, smart phone or house without issues at some level. However, the last time I got so much satisfaction-pure-joy from a car purchase as my 6 week old Model 3 was my '13 Model S.

Based on your concerns though, my advice is to wait until you can do a few test drives and see the Model 3 for yourself. In a year, there will be more useful data from multiple sources. That's a more traditional approach for those disinclined to be early adopters.

Thank you!

Color preferences are obviously not a production issue, but rather a personal one. In similar fashion with resolution on an otherwise perfectly working camera (unless resolution is so low that you can't distinguish anything!). I think most of us will be able to distinguish between clear production issues (car won't start, fit and finish leading to water infiltrations, excessive ghost draining of battery, malfunctions, etc.) and preferences or wishes.

I do appreciate the feedback. Waiting it out until the dust settles may be the way to go for a customer who is not as unforgiving as early adopters. However, the tax credit is going to phase out soon, and representing ~20% of the purchase it does change the equation considerably (for the masses, not the likely better off early adopters).

Waiting it out until the dust settles may be the way to go for a customer who is not as unforgiving as early adopters. However, the tax credit is going to phase out soon,

Get the latest model 3 within the tax credit category that will be available you.

Or, just get over it and get one now, or as soon as your number is called. Your only regret upon getting one will likely be that you didn't get it sooner.

Hi! Welcome to TMC.
Is that an issue?
Yeah, beat me to it. The sample here is going to be distorted and will be a poor predictor of possible issues by the time the OP's turn comes up. Also previously there was a lot of speculation that Model 3 would have plenty non-enthusiasts buying (even with employee/owners getting first slots, plenty of them are using the slots for friends/family), and non-enthusiasts are unlikely to reply back here.

I rely on the cars that I drive for both work and privately, and cannot afford to be constantly bogged down with car issues.
It seems like you should have people distinguish issues that make the car un-driveable and require the car to be brought in for service, vs things like fit and finish and perhaps annoyances in the interface which are less critical.