Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there downsides to performance version (other than cost)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of, RB, has Tesla indicated how many highway miles we may gain by having the air suspension?

In one of these forums, somebody sent a long list of questions to Tesla which they graciously answered. One of the questions asked what the settings were for the air suspension. Admittedly, I read through the answer rather quickly because I had to go somewhere, but from what I recall, there were a couple settings that raised the vehicle an inch or two from default. Disappointingly, I'd swear it said the vehicle will only lower itself by 1/10th of an inch from default. If that's the extent of its ability to lower the car, that's virtually negligible. Did I read something incorrectly in my haste? Can the suspension lower itself further when traveling at high speeds?

In one of these forums, somebody sent a long list of questions to Tesla which they graciously answered. One of the questions asked what the settings were for the air suspension.

I think this is the post you wanted.

Dynamics on how the active air suspense will handle when corning is to be announced, but I can expand upon the height levels. Manual Adjustments are as follows:
Normal height = 6”
High Level 1 = 0.90” taller; When the vehicle accelerates above 19 mph, the clearance adjusts back to Normal height.
High level 2 = 1.3” above Standard and can be used for ascending a steep driveway or fording deep snow. Clearance reverts to High Level 1 above 10 mph.
Low Level = 0.79” under Standard; Active Air Suspension will automatically lower the vehicle for highway driving to improve aerodynamics. Low Level is also accessible from the touchscreen for loading/unloading of passengers. When the vehicle begins driving the clearance adjusts back to Normal height.
The suspension will also self-level the car. For example if you load a lot of weight in the trunk the vehicle will remain level.

Anyway, disadvantages of the Performance which *aren't* dependent on the state of the roads:
- the seats. If you like giant side bolsters, you'll consider them an advantage. If you don't like them (I don't like them), you'll consider them a disadvantage.
- tuning on suspension and traction control. The Performance will have a stiffer, harder ride. *Every* Performance/Sport model from every manufacturer does this. If you like "Performance", you consider it an advantage. If you don't, you consider it a disadvantage.

I think Tesla matched up the "special features" of the Performance quite thoughtfully. The same people (like me) who consider stiff, hard rides and giant side bolsters to be disadvantages.... generally don't give a damn about superfast acceleration. The people who care about superfast acceleration generally want stiff, hard rides and giant side bolsters. It does mean, if you don't like those things, don't get Performance.

You're exactly right... that's why I want the Performance version.

Perhaps this is obvious, but I didn't see it specifically mentioned: flooring it in the performance car will have a higher discarge C rate on the battery, and consequently will technically do more damage to the battery over the long term (just like quick charging more frequently).

However, it may be that the duration of these power spurts is short enough (and the difference is small enough) that over time it's not a significant detractor to battery life, unless the car is raced frequently.

Edit: Maybe this is what AnOutsider was referring to in the second post. I read his comment as referring to less range-per-charge when flooring it, whereas I'm referring to battery degredation.

I've been wondering if there's actually an upside to the performance version (aside from the obvious...), which is that beefier powertrain components (the inverter specifically) will operate at a smaller percentage of it's peak output on average. This could mean that for normal driving it runs cooler and mabye more efficiently, thus extending the life of the components. Of course, it's totally unclear what the life of the normal inverter is, and I'm sure it's more than the life of the battery, but it seems like this could be a possible, if not very significant, benefit to the performance version: longer life of the electronics. Thoughts?