TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Are there downsides to performance version (other than cost)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DaveVa, Feb 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Schlermie

Schlermie P4932 - Delivery: 12/22

In one of these forums, somebody sent a long list of questions to Tesla which they graciously answered. One of the questions asked what the settings were for the air suspension. Admittedly, I read through the answer rather quickly because I had to go somewhere, but from what I recall, there were a couple settings that raised the vehicle an inch or two from default. Disappointingly, I'd swear it said the vehicle will only lower itself by 1/10th of an inch from default. If that's the extent of its ability to lower the car, that's virtually negligible. Did I read something incorrectly in my haste? Can the suspension lower itself further when traveling at high speeds?

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I think this is the post you wanted.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

You're exactly right... that's why I want the Performance version.

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

Perhaps this is obvious, but I didn't see it specifically mentioned: flooring it in the performance car will have a higher discarge C rate on the battery, and consequently will technically do more damage to the battery over the long term (just like quick charging more frequently).

However, it may be that the duration of these power spurts is short enough (and the difference is small enough) that over time it's not a significant detractor to battery life, unless the car is raced frequently.

Edit: Maybe this is what AnOutsider was referring to in the second post. I read his comment as referring to less range-per-charge when flooring it, whereas I'm referring to battery degredation.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Nope, you're right. I was meaning a hit on the range during that charge, not overall through the life of the battery

6. XrstalLens

XrstalLens Model S P1327 VIN P01867

I've been wondering if there's actually an upside to the performance version (aside from the obvious...), which is that beefier powertrain components (the inverter specifically) will operate at a smaller percentage of it's peak output on average. This could mean that for normal driving it runs cooler and mabye more efficiently, thus extending the life of the components. Of course, it's totally unclear what the life of the normal inverter is, and I'm sure it's more than the life of the battery, but it seems like this could be a possible, if not very significant, benefit to the performance version: longer life of the electronics. Thoughts?

7. William13

William13 Active Member

I hope X is right but I suspect that the battery life is an order of magnitude shorter than the motor or inverter.