Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there forced software updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This kind of forced the holiday update for me:
View attachment 771003

Doesn't the car use the T-Mobile network in California?

Tesla fixed the main problems with V11 by now. I haven't yet checked speedometer size & contrast.

People said you can bump the sliders up/down by tapping on the line, but it didn't work with the temperature or brightness slider (IIRC). Which ones does it work for?

It there a way to test out the wipers temporary panel in the garage without spraying wiper fluid or dry-wiping?
Doesn't this mean if you keep ignoring the updates it would be way easier for you to continue ignoring the updates when the cell connection no longer works?

For testing the wipers, how about you spray water on the windshield and then test, if you don't want to spray washer fluid?

Doesn't this mean if you keep ignoring the updates it would be way easier for you to continue ignoring the updates when the cell connection no longer works?

For testing the wipers, how about you spray water on the windshield and then test, if you don't want to spray washer fluid?
Yes, it would be easier to keep ignoring updates, but also you'd lose out on tons of network connectivity features, such as the easy and traffic-aware navigation, satellite maps, music streaming, browser, etc.

I was on V8 on my P85D for several years even after I lost connectivity. V7 was better than V8 marginally. V8 was leaps better than V9. V9 was marginally better than V10. V10 is leaps better than V11.

When I updated to MCU2 last year, I was obviously on V10 after that and had my supercharging speed cut instantly to the new normal for 85s which means it takes 50% longer to charge. I'm getting the maximum possible charge taper for my P85D because my battery is still in great shape.

I won't update to V11 unless I actually lose LTE connectivity. Not sure why the 3g discontinuation should effect that.

I'm seeing a forced update to 2022.4.5 on my car. It downloaded via LTE because I specifically disabled WiFi to avoid updates.

However, the kicker is that it also added an scheduled install for 10:08 tonight, without me doing anything. If I had not set the scheduled time to before current time, it would have force installed that update.

You might check to see if the icon is showing a clock- that's a scheduled install.

I'm probably not going to keep bypassing the schedule just to avoid the update, and two button reboot did not avoid it. I might try a factory reset just to see what happens though. 2022.4.5 seems like they've fixed some of the totally obvious errors in the UI, but it's still not that great.

I'm seeing a forced update to 2022.4.5 on my car. It downloaded via LTE because I specifically disabled WiFi to avoid updates.

However, the kicker is that it also added an scheduled install for 10:08 tonight, without me doing anything. If I had not set the scheduled time to before current time, it would have force installed that update.

You might check to see if the icon is showing a clock- that's a scheduled install.

I'm probably not going to keep bypassing the schedule just to avoid the update, and two button reboot did not avoid it. I might try a factory reset just to see what happens though. 2022.4.5 seems like they've fixed some of the totally obvious errors in the UI, but it's still not that great.
I have the clock but no download scheduled. Like you, Tesla force downloaded the update over LTE and I have a clock in the top of the center display. However, I have nothing scheduled. Every time I get in the car it asks me to schedule. I ignore it, and start driving.

Reactions: OxBrew and lensovet
Also still on 2021.44.6, the best vintage v10 (has waypoints, but just can't reorder them.)

Car downloaded 2021.44.30.7 and tried for almost 2 months to get me to install it, just ignored it, and changed the password on my wifi (forgetting wifi in the car, and turning it off both only worked for a day. it would reconnect on its own. Had to change the pw in our router.).

Now it's saying I need to connect to wifi in order to DL 2022.4.5.1. Ha! I win, for now....

IDK, v11 is getting pretty close to ok. I won't be upset enough to make any stink about it at this point, if it does somehow get forced on me. I might ask nicely for certain features back, just as a sort of vote for them, but mostly just live with it.
it will eventually update over cellular...

my car had the green light chime glitch (no FSD, but chime worked). I held off updating forever (never connected car to wifi). After a few months, it had downloaded it OTA and kept nagging me to install.

I held off until Live Sentry. That, along with warranty reasons, had me update. Lost my beloved green light chime (which I'd argue has nothing to do with FSD), but gained a whole bunch of stuff from missed updates.

Now I just update on "standard". Car still not connected to wifi until needed. BTW, you can disable internet access for your car in your home router, so while your car may be connected to your network, it's blocked from reaching out

I have the clock but no download scheduled. Like you, Tesla force downloaded the update over LTE and I have a clock in the top of the center display. However, I have nothing scheduled. Every time I get in the car it asks me to schedule. I ignore it, and start driving.

Yes, my mistake. If I'd closed the dialog instead, it would have gone into that mode of nagging at every drive instead.

I would have been curious to see what it does after awhile of ignoring it, but it's not super important to me. Even as I used the cards UI on every drive. It's just frustrating that Tesla doesn't care about the user's opinion at all.

When the clock turns from yellow (update available) to black (update downloaded) the car will auto schedule and install by itself. You can postpone but cannot avoid.
Resistance is futile.
It must depend on your hardware (and if there are critical fixes they are willing to force). I have been able to just dismiss them for over a year on my 2018 RWD Model 3 (Still rocking the very last version of V9).

Once an update has been downloaded, before it is installed, is there anyway to remove it and await the next iteration? I have been sitting on 2022.12.3.16 with SS of 100 for 7+ weeks without getting FSDBETA. Recently went out of town for a month and, while gone, I received notice of “Software download available, connect to internet to download.” However during this time (gone for 30days), SS disappeared along with all the “perfect“ 100’s. Thinking that this download could be beta, I downloaded it this morning only to find out it was 2022.16.1.2. According to TeslaFi, this seems to be a dead end and a probable death sentence for Beta for the near future. Any thoughts on what, if anything, I can or should do?