Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there orphan Model S at Freemont factory for sale?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In favor of something better... worse... different? I assume there must be some way of determining the value of an orphaned or "loaner" car. Or is it just the $1 / mile?
Attempting to clarify...

Original: discount for mileage, discount for age
Current: discount for mileage

The context of the conversation where it was brought up was about how quickly the loaners are selling (difficult to keep in stock) so my fuzzy recollection was that the change was to mitigate the out-of-stock loaners issue and to increase profit on the loaners that do sell.

If I were in their shoes, I'd be tempted to keep the original policy for "older" vehicles like the 60 kWh trade-ins so that they liquidate faster.

I had the debate of purchasing a demo vehicle when ordering. It was available immediately, but I opted for a new car because I saw the condition of the loaners. They all looked good from 5'-10', but once I started inspecting the cars I found swirl marks and rock chips in the paint, creases in the leather, etc. There were orphans, but I couldn't find one car that had everything I wanted in it and in the right color.

If you're in San Jose you should stop by Santana Row as well. They usually have at least three floor models sitting out that are for sale.

Santana Row | Tesla Store Locations | Tesla Motors

We visited the Fremont plant a couple weeks ago for a test drive, was feeling impulsive to buy on the spot and asked about available units. They shared a list of both new and demo units. From ~20 new ones available for immediate delivery, there were a couple units that came close to color, trim specs we wanted but figured since there was no incentive with price other than immediate delivery, we figured we put the "rational hat" back on, review finances and apply more dilligence with customizing a specific build to our liking and hopefully place an order in a couple months.

Didnt consider the demo or floor units for the same reasons others have posted. The $1.00 off per mile on the list price is hardly an incentive.

Also ended up visiting the Santana Row store to view the MS again it was sad to see the way people were treating the floor units with little consideration. Parents were allowing their kids to romp, step and climp all over the car inside and out, blast the stereo, mess with the flat screen, etc.

This confirmed that if we were going throw down $85-95K, we wanted factory fresh to be able to be the first to put our "stink" on it ;)

I had the debate of purchasing a demo vehicle when ordering. It was available immediately, but I opted for a new car because I saw the condition of the loaners. They all looked good from 5'-10', but once I started inspecting the cars I found swirl marks and rock chips in the paint, creases in the leather, etc. There were orphans, but I couldn't find one car that had everything I wanted in it and in the right color.

I took a show floor car. 50 miles, no sign off wear. The VIN indicated that it was about 3 months old. Had everything I wanted, only gray instead of black and I actually love the gray now that I have it.
This was pure luck, though. Had I ordered new, I'd be getting it in a few weeks...

Be careful if you buy on the spot. Word on the street is that if you don't finalize everything in 20 days - insurance, registration, tax, Texas will slap you with another 5% (if you register it here).

Just food for thought (or vomiting).

Actually it is 30 days. If you can prove you just drove back to Texas, or if you didn't receive the title within the first 3 weeks after delivery, you can usually sweet talk the person at your county assessor/collector office to waive the penalty. BTW, the penalty is fairly steep.

"A late penalty equal to 5 percent of the tax will be charged if the tax or surcharge is paid from 1 to 30 calendar days late; if more than 30 calendar days late, the penalty will be 10 percent of the tax. Minimum penalty is $1.
In addition to the late tax payment penalty, Texas Transportation Code provides for an escalating delinquent transfer penalty of up to $250 for failure to apply for title within 30 days from the date of title assignment. Submit this application, along with proper evidence of ownership, and appropriate valid proof of financial responsibility, such as a liability insurance card or policy."