TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Are there review cars out there yet?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ratsbew, Oct 3, 2015.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Does anyone know if the major car reviewers have received review cars yet? Most of the reviews I've seen so far have been based on only a few short minutes of experience with the vehicles.
  2. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Torrance, CA
    Not sure, but I think someone said that none of these will be made available until EOY (probably after all the sigs are delivered?)
  3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Jan 29, 2010
    Redwood Shores, CA
    Unless Elon lends out his Vin #1 X to these outlets for longer drives and testing (as he did with his Vin #2 S three years ago), it may be a while before we see more elaborate reports.

Strangely, there's no mention yet of "Get Amped"-style test drive events for customers for the X as they did in many cities for the S in the fall of 2012. They are seemingly expecting/hoping for the Sig and early General Production res holders to confirm without a test drive.
  4. ZachShahan

ZachShahan Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Sarasota, FL / Wroclaw, Poland
    We're not as big as the large car & tech sites, but we're clearly on Tesla's press list & radar (have been contacted personally a number of times). About a month ago, I asked about a review/loaner X at the end of October when I'll be in Florida presenting at this EV conference (I don't live in the States right now, am coming over from Poland for it). They said they wouldn't have review cars by that time.

Of course, location is another matter beyond size of the outlet (e.g., California gets review EVs before Florida), but I'm assuming it'll still be awhile before there are any, even for outlets like Motor Trend. It seems the 6 Founder Series Xs were the ones being test driven at the launch... sort of wish I had gotten a flight over to Cali for that, but surely a "greener" decision to not spend ~30 hours in the air for a short test drive. :p

Please do let me know if you hear anything about review cars!! :D
  5. eloder

eloder Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Ohio, USA
    #5 eloder, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    I imagine the reason for no MX test drives yet is that they're prioritizing sig production, and also because they have a 9+ month backlog to get through and thus aren't hurting for orders, or would be too terribly concerned over owners who would cancel without a drive first.

They didn't have this problem three years ago :p