Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there some Tesla's you can't drive without a key? ('13 P85)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 P85 Model S and my wife took every set of keys with her in the house to work with her for some reason. Was hoping to drive the car without the key as I read you can, but no dice. Could not get the door handles to present.

The app shows lock/unlock. Lock flashes the lights, unlock does nothing. Pressed on the handle, wouldn't go. Had to Uber where I wanted to go.

Are there some models you absolutely -have- to have the key for? FWIW, I can't roll up the windows just using the app either - but at least the app tells me that explicitly. The app makes it look like the lock/unlock is working...

I have a 2013 P85 Model S and my wife took every set of keys with her in the house to work with her for some reason. Was hoping to drive the car without the key as I read you can, but no dice. Could not get the door handles to present.

The app shows lock/unlock. Lock flashes the lights, unlock does nothing. Pressed on the handle, wouldn't go. Had to Uber where I wanted to go.

Are there some models you absolutely -have- to have the key for? FWIW, I can't roll up the windows just using the app either - but at least the app tells me that explicitly. The app makes it look like the lock/unlock is working...

Something is wrong with yours because my 2012 Model S has worked and be driven without a fob, a key as long as I could access the internet with my cell phone for my Tesla app.

Make sure the cell signal or wifi work fine both in for your cell phone app and your car itself. If one out of 2 either your car or phone app is disconnected from the internet service then it won't work. It takes 2.

Reactions: tomjonesrocks
Something is wrong with yours because my 2012 Model S has worked and be driven without a fob, a key as long as I could access the internet with my cell phone for my Tesla app.

Make sure the cell signal or wifi work fine both in for your cell phone app and your car itself. If one out of 2 either your car or phone app is disconnected from the internet service then it won't work. It takes 2.
Internet is definitely working. Booking a mobile appt.