Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are these normal, or is it time for a service call?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model 3 in July. Now about 4k miles. The temperature has just gotten into the 30s(F) and I have noticed the following:
After I get into the car and am ready to go:
1. If I'm backing up, the back up lights don't come on for about 10 seconds and the "active guide lines" in the tablet's display do not show up.
2. Regenerative braking does not start working fully for about 30 seconds
3. If it has been raining, when I put on the brakes when backing up they make a grinding sound, but the sound stops after 10-15 seconds. The sound comes back after the car sits, parked for a while.
4. I get warnings about regenerative braking and lane departure not working to full capacity (those aren't the exact words) and if it continues contact service. These warnings do go away, but come again another day. (N'uck, N'uck)

Are any, or all, of these reasons for a service call?

I have also noticed that if I put the front seat heater(s) on and then park the car, when I come back the heaters were off while I was gone and when I return they come on again to their previous setting. (that's good) But, if I shut the car off with the rear seat heaters on and come back later, the rear seat heaters have shut themselves off. Is this expected behavior for the rear seat heaters?

Thanks for the info,

Is the brake grinding just normal rust on the disks after it rains? My suzuki used to do that terribly until using the brakes a few times, but I've noticed on my Model 3 the brakes sound a little rough after it's been parked after rain.

1. is weird. I have not observed that in my first year of ownership.
2. is because the battery is cold and cannot accept full charge of regeneration. The pack needs some heat to allow full regeneration.
3. is because we use the brakes so little so a little grinding is normal when applied after brakes have gotten wet and maybe some surface rust has accumulated. Also because the car is so quiet the brakes are audible and not drowned out by the noise of the ICE.
4. see 2.

Tesla really need to do a better job informing new owners about the characteristics of winter driving. I wonder how many calls to Tesla service are simply because they're not getting full regen regen on a cold morning.

1. Not normal and probably technically "illegal" I'd imagine, notify service.
  2. Cold battery. Can last much, much longer as it gets colder.
  3. Normal for every vehicle, just rust on the rotors. Perfectly normal.
  4. Lane departure not working may be due to dirty cameras and/or sensors. I've noticed this can happen more at night regardless of cleanliness.
  5. Rear seats - this is normal yes. The HVAC and seats disable for the rear every time unless it detects something/someone on the rear seats.

Actually, since your regen comes back so fast, any chance you're routinely charging to more than 95% or so?

Reactions: Tron 3
The lane departure limited etc is likely due to frost or moisture that is covering the lenses.

I’ve been having this problem. Just do a walk around the car before getting in and any camera that’s wet, just wipe it.

I’ve been seeing that message less since I started to do this.