Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are these operating modes possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just saw on another post that there is an option to tell the app your utility and rate plan (go to Performance, scroll down to Solar Value, and tap on the utility and rate plan at the bottom of the page). I didn't know that option existed.

If Tesla wanted to be REALLY SLICK, they'd add an operating mode that targets a $0 annual true-up while minimizing NBCs and Powerwall cycles. They have all the necessary data to do that.

Reactions: BGbreeder
I just saw on another post that there is an option to tell the app your utility and rate plan (go to Performance, scroll down to Solar Value, and tap on the utility and rate plan at the bottom of the page). I didn't know that option existed.

If Tesla wanted to be REALLY SLICK, they'd add an operating mode that targets a $0 annual true-up while minimizing NBCs and Powerwall cycles. They have all the necessary data to do that.
It looks like the "Solar Value" or "utility and rate plan" options are only available in limited areas at this time. Others are discussing this new functionality here: PGE rate plan choices

The Powerwalls would get charged from the excess solar that the home doesn't consume in the morning. There would need to be some AI involved like in Balanced mode where the system would recognize if there isn't enough solar being diverted to fully recharge the Powerwalls before the next Peak period and then prioritize the Powerwalls.

I'm going back to Cost Saving with Peak set from 4-9pm and Off-Peak at other times. My experience with Cost Saving Shoulder is it will allow discharging the Powerwalls to the home. I don't want that happening during off-peak hours.
As a follow-up, I tried Cost Saving mode with Shoulder set to 4-8pm and Peak set to 8-9pm and it did something a little different than expected. On some of the hotter days it was prioritizing home consumption over sending solar to the grid during Shoulder period (which is good); however it would also draw power from the grid instead of the Powerwall during Shoulder (which is bad).
So I'm back to Cost Saving with Peak set to 4-9pm and Off-Peak at all other times.

As a follow-up, I tried Cost Saving mode with Shoulder set to 4-8pm and Peak set to 8-9pm and it did something a little different than expected. On some of the hotter days it was prioritizing home consumption over sending solar to the grid during Shoulder period (which is good); however it would also draw power from the grid instead of the Powerwall during Shoulder (which is bad).
So I'm back to Cost Saving with Peak set to 4-9pm and Off-Peak at all other times.
That's exactly how I have mine set. Only Peak during actual Peak and Off peak all other times

Yesterday I had Shoulder (Balanced) set to 4-9pm. and everything else Off-Peak At 4pm it started sending all solar to the grid, none to the house, had ran the house off the Powerwalls. At 9pm it started running off the grid with the Powerwalls at about 75% SoC. Before I went to bed, I switched the Shoulder period to be 8am to 9pm. The Powerwalls stayed at about 75% SoC until the solar started generating in the morning - then all solar was being sent to the Powerwalls. At 8am the house started running off the Powerwalls with all solar being sent to the grid. This continued until I hit my 50% reserve around noon, then the house was running off solar with the excess going to the grid and non to recharge the Powerwalls. At 2:30 I intervened and changed back to Cost Savings with 4-9pm Peak and all else Off-Peak in hope of getting as much SoC back before 4pm Peak rates hit.

So, for me, Balanced Shoulder does not prioritize the house (which is what I wanted) until I hit my reserve but I have the downside of the house running off the Powerwalls during Off-Peak.
I’ve read many are seeing in Cost Saving mode that all solar goes to grid during on peak and PW supply all house loads. I’ve tried this setting for a week and don’t see it. Solar supplies all house loads during peak and sends excess to grid. PW stay at 100% until solar can’t keep up with house load. Reserve is at 20%. I’d like for all solar to go to grid because I can sell back to SRP at a 50% premium. Any thoughts on why I’m not see the behavior others claim during this mode? I have 3 PW so can get through on peak without need for solar to provide house load.

I’ve read many are seeing in Cost Saving mode that all solar goes to grid during on peak and PW supply all house loads. I’ve tried this setting for a week and don’t see it. Solar supplies all house loads during peak and sends excess to grid. PW stay at 100% until solar can’t keep up with house load. Reserve is at 20%. I’d like for all solar to go to grid because I can sell back to SRP at a 50% premium. Any thoughts on why I’m not see the behavior others claim during this mode? I have 3 PW so can get through on peak without need for solar to provide house load.
I'd call Tesla on this one.

During peak all my solar goes to the grid and the house is powered by the power walls. Occasionally (like Fridays) I have seen the PWs discharging on partial peak when the system thinks it will easily charge them up again during off peak the next day. It's actually a surprisingly good algorithm except for weather related changes.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
I don't know but I'd if you find out why it is doing this I'd like to know so I can make my system do it.