Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are these things normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the car about 5 months now, so curious, are these things normal?

- Sunroof on vent is loud...like louder than 35% open. Also sunroof generally noisy when open.

- Braking to a stop sometimes makes a horrible howl noise, but just at the very end. Not a squeak, it's got more of a baritone/bass than a normal squeak.

- Garage door auto opener is inconsistent, only as of late. Use to work perfectly, now not so much...it "dings" every time but doesn't always open/close, so I have to press it manually, again sometimes doesn't work, then eventually will.

- I like to drive in low susp, sometimes it bumps it back up to std automatically

- Destroying my left thigh bolster getting in and out - you too? (Destroying is an exaggeration, you get what I mean)

- App is buggy - can't totally trust the climate control. Sometimes I'll turn on, set temp. Then go back in the app 15m later and its turned off.

Just want to know what to go to the dealer about and what's in my head.

2016 P90DL
Thanks!

Had the car about 5 months now, so curious, are these things normal?

- Sunroof on vent is loud...like louder than 35% open. Also sunroof generally noisy when open.

- Braking to a stop sometimes makes a horrible howl noise, but just at the very end. Not a squeak, it's got more of a baritone/bass than a normal squeak.

- Garage door auto opener is inconsistent, only as of late. Use to work perfectly, now not so much...it "dings" every time but doesn't always open/close, so I have to press it manually, again sometimes doesn't work, then eventually will.

- I like to drive in low susp, sometimes it bumps it back up to std automatically

- Destroying my left thigh bolster getting in and out - you too? (Destroying is an exaggeration, you get what I mean)

- App is buggy - can't totally trust the climate control. Sometimes I'll turn on, set temp. Then go back in the app 15m later and its turned off.

Just want to know what to go to the dealer about and what's in my head.

2016 P90DL
Thanks!

I'll address the brakes:

Mine did this. I don't remember the term, but there's a certain way to condition the disks when installed. They did this and the "howl" went away.

Braking to a stop sometimes makes a horrible howl noise, but just at the very end. Not a squeak, it's got more of a baritone/bass than a normal squeak.

That's not normal, at least in my case. You may want to contact Tesla Service

Garage door auto opener is inconsistent, only as of late. Use to work perfectly, now not so much...it "dings" every time but doesn't always open/close, so I have to press it manually, again sometimes doesn't work, then eventually will.

Did you by any chance change your garage door light recently? I had this issue when I installed an LED bulb inside the garage door opener. Suddenly my homelink would work very inconsistently. Apparently the LED light created interference issues with the homelink. I switched to another brand of LED lights (from Philips to GE) and now it works great.

Destroying my left thigh bolster getting in and out - you too? (Destroying is an exaggeration, you get what I mean)

Yep, certainly more wear on the left bolster on my seat. But that makes sense, since that part of the seat makes the most contact when I enter and exit the vehicle.

App is buggy - can't totally trust the climate control. Sometimes I'll turn on, set temp. Then go back in the app 15m later and its turned off.

Yep, the app is buggy in that regard. Often times when I hit the on button for the climate control before the interior temperature displays on the screen, it will not successfully turn on the HVAC system. So I'll wait for it to show up, and then I'll go to a different screen and come back to the climate screen to ensure that it turned on successfully.

There's a major app update coming out in a few weeks with 8.1, so hopefully that will fix the issue.

Reactions: OBX John
Re: the seat, you may want to program an exit profile for getting out of the car. Lame. I know. I happen to sit far enough back that I have not had this problem. But I also changed the way I sit down when getting in after hearing about this problem early on. I don't tent slide in anymore. I sit more square to the door and then pivot. I was surprised at how quickly I adjusted.

I used to have some intermittent issues with the homelink. I have had no problems at all since the 8.0 upgrade. I also changed my lightbulbs from CFL to incandescent, which may have helped.

The app is slow to connect because it has to route through the Tesla servers first. I prefer to use to use RemoteS because it is a much better app and gives an indication as to when it is connected by showing the inside and outside temps. When they look about right, I know I'm connected. Usually takes about 15 sec or so.

Sunroof is loud. But I have found them all to be loud. So I rarely use it. Still love the Pano though!

Suspension will automatically raise at times. Have you set your lower speed? If you are manually lowering while driving, it will want to raise if it is going slower than it's set lower speed. Not sure, but I expect a stop or very low speed will trigger it. I think the min speed to lower is 50MPH

Hope that helps.

Regarding the sunroof, mine does the same thing. Really screeches when open just a little. Folks here on the forums told me that is pretty normal. That being the case, and the fact about the only time I opened the sun roof was to demonstrate it to others had me skipping the sun roof on the S I just ordered and am going with an all glass roof instead.

For the garage door situation, I had similar problems when it was set to automatic so I switched it back to where I again have to push the icon to open and close the door. That also got rid of my fear of the door closing before the car was completely in or out (ouch).

patrick

Ha! I also have that fear. Tell myself I need to get over it.

This is all really helpful, and an example of what message boards should be about (sharing info and experiences vs arguing about nonsense). I believe there is an LED bulb in there, I'll change to a diff brand (actually have GE bulbs in the closet and will try that first). Also good point about the setting for getting in and out...in my last car the seat automatically moved back and steering wheel up when you turned the car off, there isn't a way to set that up automatically in the Tesla is there?

About the pano, I mentioned it last year to the SC, they said it was normal, 'cause I have a first generation Pano.
I mentioned it again this year, they changed something (silent bolt thingies or so on the notice) and though it is still loud, it is not making our ears bleed anymore, and I'm not embarrassed to open/close it with friends & family :) So definitely worth asking the SC to check it.

Here's the item from my service request. Just to clarify, it wasn't "squeaking" as noted below, it was howling--exactly how you described it. It was very bad when using summon, since it's going slow and riding the brakes a lot.

Concern: Customer states: when pressing the brakes a loud squeaking noise is heard.
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Brakes Discs & Calipers General Diagnosis
Performed bedding in process, ensured friction material evenly distributed, tested for silent
operation

Awesome, thanks folks.

Here is another one - coming out of a parking garage yesterday, I did "navigate to" my destination. It had signal, since it picked it up, plugged it into navi, but 1st off it took 5min to actually start tracking my movement; then another minute to realize oh wait, you're not actually here, you're there; then another 10 minutes of being a block or two off from where I actually am; then it finally sync'd and it was good to go.

Has this happened to anyone?

The only thing consistent with auto-Homelink for me ever since I got the car is that it's totally inconsistent! Under 7.x it used to mostly auto-open fine but sometimes fail to auto-close. Lately under 8.0 it now more frequently than before randomly fails to auto-open or close

And no, I don't have LED lights so that's not the problem.

Regarding the suspension, allowable heights are somewhat programmed by the speed, of which can be adjusted for a certain range. For instance, if you are on the highway it should automatically go to the low settings once the car reaches your programmed lowering speed. Once you slow down to your programmed raising speed, it raises back up to standard. Also, it is GPS aware, so if one day you decide to raise it at a particular location, it will remember that and forever keep doing so at that location, until you delete that particular gps aware point, which is a pain to do. Either of those instances could be the cause of your issue, and you should investigate it yourself a bit.

Regarding your brakes, it may be that they are still too new and the pads haven't developed perfect contact with the disks yet.
This can take a while on the Tesla because regen braking spares the brake pads so much. Try changing your regen to "Low" and doing a bit more heavy braking for a few days and see if it goes away.

Another - does the rear view camera ever display "halves" - IE a distorted image viewed from 2 diff angles? Put back in park. Back in reverse, same thing. Next time I drove the car, back to normal.

One more as well - does your Bluetooth Audio randomly not work? It still is connnected, says it's playing, but no audio come see out. Other audio works just fine. Restart phone, same problem.

Did the hold 2 buttons on steering wheel reset for everything I'm asking about.

Thoughts?

Another - does the rear view camera ever display "halves" - IE a distorted image viewed from 2 diff angles? Put back in park. Back in reverse, same thing. Next time I drove the car, back to normal.

One more as well - does your Bluetooth Audio randomly not work? It still is connnected, says it's playing, but no audio come see out. Other audio works just fine. Restart phone, same problem.

Did the hold 2 buttons on steering wheel reset for everything I'm asking about.

Thoughts?
The halving rearview camera image is a rare bug that happens to a lot of people. A reset of the display will rectify the issue.

For the Bluetooth audio, I'll have an issue where I press play and it plays out of my phone speakers instead. For me, I just disconnect and reconnect and it begins working again. You can also try raising the Bluetooth media volume on your phone. On my phone at least, the phone sometimes reduces the volume by itself. I guess it's a hearing protection feature if you use a Bluetooth headphone.

If you're talking about a messed up rear camera view like described in this thread: Weird Rear Camera view
then yes I've had that happen twice earlier this year, but not again since. Reboot fixed it once, the other time it went away by itself after parking the car and returning later.