Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

are upgrade 90 and the 75 packs the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier this week I noticed that my 2018 X75 charging curve seemed identical to the btx4 variant, even though the pack was sold as btx5. Charging rate max seems to hover around 125kW, tapering starts from 41-42% and it can pull 40kWh in 25 minutes.

This made me curious, so I googled up a bit. Looks like battery packs with serial 1088790 have been sold as 90kWh upgrades and our pack had a serial of 1088794. That last digit smells awful lot like a pack config variant. Could it be that Tesla actually manufactures only one smaller pack anymore and that is just software configured to different setups?

...software configured to different setups?

There's no need to wonder or guess. Please just look at your battery label.

If your car is software limited to 75kW, then your battery pack label should clearly have a number that's higher than 75kW such as 90kW.

Tesla-Model-X-90kWh-P90D-Battery.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
There's no need to wonder or guess. Please just look at your battery label.
If your car is software limited to 75kW, then your battery pack label should clearly have a number that's higher than 75kW such as 90kW.

Of course the sticker says the kWh rating the pack was bought as, but the question was if the packs are actually physically the same. Certainly looks that way. Your pack looks like early 2016 production 90 pack, I was asking about the late 2016+ variant (1088*).

...Of course the sticker says the kWh rating the pack was bought as...

Then it is not software limited.

Software limited packs have a different number of kWh on their battery pack labels.

For example, the 17" display says 75D but the battery pack label says 90kWh then it's a software limited pack.

If the 17" display says 75D and the battery pack label says 75kWh then it is actually a 75kWh pack and not a software limited pack.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Of course the sticker says the kWh rating the pack was bought as, but the question was if the packs are actually physically the same. Certainly looks that way. Your pack looks like early 2016 production 90 pack, I was asking about the late 2016+ variant (1088*).

I can confirm that my early car was purchased as a 60, pack was stamped 75. So if the later 90 packs were software limited to 75, I'd imagine they'd do the same. I don't see why the packs would be stamped as just 75.