Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are used Teslas bought from Tesla.com delivered with J1772 adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my 2020 Model 3 Standard a few weeks ago and just noticed that the adapter isn't included and might come in handy on a road trip in a couple weeks from now. Was I supposed to get one with the car? What's the likelihood that Tesla will send me one?

I'm fairly certain used car sales, Tesla included, don't do anything more than clean the surfaces and make sure the car is mechanically sound. If something is missing, like a spare tire or charging adapter, they just don't mention it in the vehicle's description.

Though I've always thought they should do something like replace the removable carpets, correct damages, replace tires and battery if they are past about half their usable life, and replace any missing or damaged parts.

agree -- if its used its a good possibility the adapter wont be included. this is one reason why you see so many adapters on fleabay because these cats realise they can get a few bucks off of them. since you bought it from tesla id inquire with them and see if they will give you one.

i just sold a tesla and i put the charging accessory kit and the adapter in the trunk and let the vendor know who bought where it was.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I contacted customer service and they in turn advised me to contact Tesla Service via the App. I made a Tesla Mobile Service appointment and got an estimate of $0.00 a couple of days later saying they'll be bringing a complimentary J-1772 adapter to my service appointment Monday morning, and added a tire inspection to the work order. I'll let you know tomorrow how everything went with the appointment.

I contacted customer service and they in turn advised me to contact Tesla Service via the App. I made a Tesla Mobile Service appointment and got an estimate of $0.00 a couple of days later saying they'll be bringing a complimentary J-1772 adapter to my service appointment Monday morning, and added a tire inspection to the work order. I'll let you know tomorrow how everything went with the appointment.

Appreciate you circling back around and letting us know. As the posters above said, "used cars are used, and generally sold as is" but I also was not sure if Tesla itself would include that specific adapter with their used cars. Either they are hooking you up, or, its something they do if someone buys a used tesla from them and it happens to not have that specific adapter.

I do think that if (for example) the car did not have the complete adapter charging kit that came with a 2018 (like mine) they would not replace that, but the specific J 1772 adapter I thought they might.

I wish they would just ship them. They sent me a notice on the day of my service appointment that "parts were not in stock" and pushed back my appointment to the 28th, so I'm still waiting. It would make more sense just to ship it, but Tesla gonna Tesla.

I purchased a used 2021 Tesla Model Y and Tesla told me it does not come with an adapter.

This thread that you are replying to is just under 2 years old (the last post before yours was may of 2022.). Why thats relevant is, LOTS (and lots and lots) of things change in "Teslaland" even monthly. Some policy or other that might have been valid 2 years ago not being valid now isnt that much suprise.