Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are V3 Solar Roof tiles readily available now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of what I read online mentions that solar shingles will be "readily available soon". are we there yet? will a local installer be able to get product to install at some point in the next six months (before the end of 2021)?
V3 tiles have been installed since late 2019. Ours were installed in March 2020. As for a local installer being able to pick them up, that is questionable. I believe Tesla is the only way to purchase a SolarRoof today. They do use local installers that Tesla has trained as subcontractors to do many installations.

Most of what I read online mentions that solar shingles will be "readily available soon". are we there yet? will a local installer be able to get product to install at some point in the next six months (before the end of 2021)?

They are probably as "readily available" as tesla powerwalls. They have been installed for quite some time but solar roofs are not sold everywhere in the country (not every roofer is going to have access to them).

V3 tiles have been installed since late 2019. Ours were installed in March 2020. As for a local installer being able to pick them up, that is questionable. I believe Tesla is the only way to purchase a SolarRoof today. They do use local installers that Tesla has trained as subcontractors to do many installations.
I had seen this story about a Dallas company that appears to be certified to do Tesla solar roof installs - Tesla partners with other companies to install solar roof tiles - Electrek. I believe that somebody in Minnesota also had mentioned that Tesla was forwarding them to a partner.

So, I think it is at least possible that there might be local installers, though my impression is it is still in very limited cases. And, for OP, I would say that unless you see somebody in your area already advertising it, I would say it is unlikely to get a project to completion with a third party in 2021.

I had seen this story about a Dallas company that appears to be certified to do Tesla solar roof installs - Tesla partners with other companies to install solar roof tiles - Electrek. I believe that somebody in Minnesota also had mentioned that Tesla was forwarding them to a partner.

So, I think it is at least possible that there might be local installers, though my impression is it is still in very limited cases. And, for OP, I would say that unless you see somebody in your area already advertising it, I would say it is unlikely to get a project to completion with a third party in 2021.
This article is consistent with what I heard from the installers on our roof. Our roof was installed by a Tesla and local installer mixed personnel crew. The Tesla guys did some hammering but spent much of the time supervising and guiding the local installation company personnel. The owner of the roofing company said they were getting certified (I think we were their 3rd install in 2 months) to do installs, but Tesla maintains tight control on the install, and especially the supply of materials. I knew the goal of Tesla was to get out of SolarRoof install, but they seemed to be controlling the order and design processes.

This article is consistent with what I heard from the installers on our roof. Our roof was installed by a Tesla and local installer mixed personnel crew. The Tesla guys did some hammering but spent much of the time supervising and guiding the local installation company personnel. The owner of the roofing company said they were getting certified (I think we were their 3rd install in 2 months) to do installs, but Tesla maintains tight control on the install, and especially the supply of materials. I knew the goal of Tesla was to get out of SolarRoof install, but they seemed to be controlling the order and design processes.
I am wondering if they are going to have different types/levels of partners. Some might be contract crews that Tesla use as needed for Tesla-sold installs. Others (like this Dallas-based company and one I found that does service parts of Iowa/Minnesota) indicate that you would place an order directly with them instead of Tesla. Of course, I don't know what happens at that point - how much the installer designs their own install or has to get Tesla to make/approve a design in order to get materials.

I assume right now that third parties would be attractive either where Tesla itself is not doing installs or where you want a more full-service experience, since I would expect a third-party install would be more expensive than if Tesla were to do it.

I am wondering if they are going to have different types/levels of partners. Some might be contract crews that Tesla use as needed for Tesla-sold installs. Others (like this Dallas-based company and one I found that does service parts of Iowa/Minnesota) indicate that you would place an order directly with them instead of Tesla. Of course, I don't know what happens at that point - how much the installer designs their own install or has to get Tesla to make/approve a design in order to get materials.

I assume right now that third parties would be attractive either where Tesla itself is not doing installs or where you want a more full-service experience, since I would expect a third-party install would be more expensive than if Tesla were to do it.
I could see that. Also, a third party installer would also relieve Telsa from much of the liability for warranty issues related to the install.

Last edited:
The subs that Tesla used to install our roof's decking, flashing, and underlayment is now a certified Solar Roof installer (Tesla Solar Roof - Clean Roofing); probably one of the first certified installers in the Bay Area. Given how hard it is to reach Tesla project advisors in the early stages of the process, I'm sure some people would rather go through a certified installer that can provide more personalized service & not have to deal with one team for initial consult & layout, then another for the install, then another for inspection, then another for support, etc etc.

I’m not sure about solar roof availability in Kansas at this point. I’m local to Fremont and in the final design phase with Tesla installing.

My initial deposit was made in august ‘20 but the first 4 months was just waiting for an initial design. My advisor has told me that install should be relatively quick once all the designing is done. The delay lately is just little stuff that sometimes can take ~5 business days to resolve. It is frustrating but asfaik Tesla is the only installer around here and the price is right (less than a new roof/solar). Also pw’s are basically impossible to get without Tesla solar install so that’s an added incentive.

Anyway, I don’t think materials supply is the issue at this point, but getting a final design/permit/install team scheduled is the bottleneck, even in Tesla’s ‘backyard’. My current roof is still water tight so not a huge deal, but otherwise it would be.