Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Ventiliated Seats an energy hog aka wasted feature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey what do you guys think about the ventilated seats. I feel like in this hot weather they provide minimum effect along with are a little noisy. Do you guys know if they are a battery drainer. If they are do you think they are a wasted feature since they are not cooling your butt ?

Hey what do you guys think about the ventilated seats. I feel like in this hot weather they provide minimum effect along with are a little noisy. Do you guys know if they are a battery drainer. If they are do you think they are a wasted feature since they are not cooling your butt ?
From previous posts on this topic the consensus was that the seats save energy. The A/C and heat systems are the energy hogs and using the heated/cooled seats to make a person comfortable rather than the whole car is a good option.

I've used my Flir thermal camera and cannot detect ANY cooling with the ventilated seats. The heat function works well though. I'm hesitant to post pictures because I think I should take a more structured/scientific approach to measurement with a consistent control. So far I have done the following:

1) turned one seat on and not the other: no difference after 5 mins.
2) sat 2 mins in one seat with it on, then sat 2 mins in the other seat with it off. No difference.
3) dipped my finger in a glass of water and rubbed a line of water across the bottom of each front seat. Turned one on and not the other. After 2 mins no difference in temperature of either water spot.

Attached is an example picture. Open to suggestions for other tests or an optimal way to control the experiment since I can't clone myself and sit in two seats at the same time.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: int32_t
I've used my Flir thermal camera and cannot detect ANY cooling with the ventilated seats. The heat function works well though. I'm hesitant to post pictures because I think I should take a more structured/scientific approach to measurement with a consistent control. So far I have done the following:

2) sat 2 mins in one seat with it on, then sat 2 mins in the other seat with it off. No difference.
3) dipped my finger in a glass of water and rubbed a line of water across the bottom of each front seat. Turned one on and not the other. After 2 mins no difference in temperature of either water spot.

Attached is an example picture. Open to suggestions for other tests or an optimal way to control the experiment since I can't clone myself and sit in two seats at the same time.
Thanks for taking a serious approach to this. The word is that the seats do not blow out air, but suck it in. I can say that my wife and I both notice a difference when we use the seat fans. Something is going on (plus the noise of the fan), but the question is how to quantify it. Have you tried pre-cooling the cabin, getting it stabilized, and then checking the temperatures with the fans on? I think since the seats only use moving air, and not their own compressor, to measure the difference you'll need a cool cabin air temperature. Also, it might be worthwhile covering some of the seat perforations to simulate a person sitting.

Thanks again.. wish I had one of those Flirs.

Reactions: systemcrashed
Ventilation efficacy is humidity dependent because the benefit is evaporation, not air cooling. So either live in a dry climate or run the ventilator in conjunction with "AC". And don't expect a FLIR to record much difference.

I thought about that. It's why I streaked a line of water on the seats. Evaporation of water is endothermic so I would expect the Flir to measure a difference. I'm going to try a bit more with the doors closed and the A/C at a lower temp.

Both DW and myself use the ventilated seats regularly and find that it does help, especially on super hot days the seats become a lot more comfortable much quicker. Can feel the air through the clothes and takes care of any sweatiness of the legs. The fans are LOUD though.

As reported earlier with the VS we are able to negotiate a decent temp setting for AC - DW loves to keep the car like a refrigerator :rolleyes: while I am more of a warm temp person.

• Love
Reactions: EarlyAdopter
The ventilated seats may be a misnomer in some ways because it is not very strong, at all... but I do find that it helps and I can feel it working on setting 2-3... but I do not like setting it to three because at least on my X, I can hear the fan on three and it is annoying, like a hamster wheel spinning sound! I thought it may be a bad fan, and it still could be, so I tried on the passenger seat as well and both sound the same way. Anyone else here the fan at 3, but not 2?

The porpose of "Ventilated seats" (as oppossed to your imaginary "Cooling seats") is to VENTILATE, not COOL. Hence the name. So they cannot cool an empty seat byt they can increase the transport of body generated heat away from the body of the person in the seat.

My ventilated seats don't cause any measurable difference in temperature or comfort, even at the highest setting. I can hear the fan noise, but if there's any additional air circulation, I sure don't feel it. The seats feel the same with the ventilated seats on 3 as they do with it completely off.

• Informative
Reactions: Johan
My ventilated seats don't cause any measurable difference in temperature or comfort, even at the highest setting. I can hear the fan noise, but if there's any additional air circulation, I sure don't feel it. The seats feel the same with the ventilated seats on 3 as they do with it completely off.

So they work poorly, but they're not a "wasted feature" because it is an energy hog (it likely doesn't use much energy) but it's a "wasted feature" because it adds nothing to the function of the car (only price).

Reactions: Hengist
By the way, the Germans do both kinds of ventilated seats: those that blow air (cool air but not AC'd air, of course their cabriolets also can blow hot air for the neck as a different scenario) - and those that suck it like Model X.

Generally the sucking kind is the more premium type of seating as indeed it better transfers heat away from the body. It is the more expensive choice in the Germans traditionally. They do make some noise though and I assume on an electric Model X that is bound to be more pronounced due to the relative quiet.

No comment on the quality efficacy of the Model X ventilated seats compared to the German premium brands, though, I am yet to experience the Tesla version. Just a general comment.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Local host
So they work poorly, but they're not a "wasted feature" because it is an energy hog (it likely doesn't use much energy) but it's a "wasted feature" because it adds nothing to the function of the car (only price).

Not in general, perhaps in Blastphemy's specific case.
We find the ventilation is very nice on hot days and can definitely feel the difference. It isn't a huge difference, but it is there.
It isn't cooling, it is simply moving air, which helps cool things off more quickly.
Someone wearing jeans probably wouldn't notice it at all.
Wearing shorts, or thin khakis or such, it is noticeable.

In my opinion, it doesn't replace AC, but it does allow comfort at a higher temperature setting of AC.

Reactions: Infinite
Not in general, perhaps in Blastphemy's specific case.
We find the ventilation is very nice on hot days and can definitely feel the difference. It isn't a huge difference, but it is there.
It isn't cooling, it is simply moving air, which helps cool things off more quickly.
Someone wearing jeans probably wouldn't notice it at all.
Wearing shorts, or thin khakis or such, it is noticeable.

In my opinion, it doesn't replace AC, but it does allow comfort at a higher temperature setting of AC.

Exactly. It has its place.

if half of us can't even notice it then...I think they could have implemented something better overall what do you guys think. ? Keep in mind how many cars have this technology. They were not creating something new here...and we all have pretty decently priced cars here.

Bottom line is they should have delivered something better given price/and advancement of features this company brings to the table.