Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are we ever getting track mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slip start removes some traction control, but not all. It reduces ever so slightly stability control but not that much. I've played around with it in snow last winter. Don't expect WRX-level snow fun...
Can't beat the real AWD system in WRX/STIs for winter driving with proper snow tires. But, that's pretty much the only good thing about WRX/STIs. Cheap interior, rattle, booming exhaust, ancient infotainment system, slow off the line and slow for rolling start, slow for high speed, horrible MPG, etc.

• Funny
Reactions: GtiMart
I took my MYP to a track last weekend to learn some performance driving. A couple of guys with Model 3's were surprised that the MYP doesn't have track mode. But I will say that as a total novice (first time ever on a track), I thought the MYP handled great and I quickly gained confidence driving faster around the track. I would certainly want a track mode, but to be honest I probably wouldn't really know how to adjust it for best results on a track. For me it would just be a cool toy to have as I don't plan on too many track sessions per year, even though it was A LOT of fun.
I agree - lots of fun on the track even without Track Mode. I too took a Driver Training class at Brainerd International Raceway thru the local Porsche club in May and it was amazingnto see what my MYLR could do on a track. The instructors were also impressed and apparently I was the first EV they ever had in the class. Funny story: at one point they have a "parade" of all the cars where you can bring your friends for a ride. I was following a Porsche 911 and a Porsche GT3 RS behind me driven by one of the instructors. I let the 911 get far enough in front of me so that I could accelerate on a straightaway. I did that a few times and left the GT3 way behind me. When we got back, the guy in the GT3 said that every time I did that acceleration thing, he tried like crazy to catch up but could not match my acceleration. I told him "If it makes you feel any better, that is the slowest car Tesla makes" 😁
Also, if you've watched the movie Ford vs Ferrari, there is a scene where Carroll Shelby takes Henry Ford II for an impromptu ride in the $9M GT40 and Henry's reaction is priceless - driving a high performance car on a track is much harder than it looks. At one point during the class the instructor, who had never been in a Tesla much less drove one, drove me around the track a few times in my MYLR and I honestly had to close my eyes a couple times but I did not "soil myself". But having a professional drive your car gives you a great sense of what it is capable of. The instructor was impressed. I actually had three different instructors and each of them were blown away by how quiet the car cabin was even at 116 MPH - no communication devices needed. We could talk to each other in a normal voice with helmets on and at speed. Truly amazing.

I agree - lots of fun on the track even without Track Mode. I too took a Driver Training class at Brainerd International Raceway thru the local Porsche club in May and it was amazingnto see what my MYLR could do on a track. The instructors were also impressed and apparently I was the first EV they ever had in the class. Funny story: at one point they have a "parade" of all the cars where you can bring your friends for a ride. I was following a Porsche 911 and a Porsche GT3 RS behind me driven by one of the instructors. I let the 911 get far enough in front of me so that I could accelerate on a straightaway. I did that a few times and left the GT3 way behind me. When we got back, the guy in the GT3 said that every time I did that acceleration thing, he tried like crazy to catch up but could not match my acceleration. I told him "If it makes you feel any better, that is the slowest car Tesla makes" 😁
Also, if you've watched the movie Ford vs Ferrari, there is a scene where Carroll Shelby takes Henry Ford II for an impromptu ride in the $9M GT40 and Henry's reaction is priceless - driving a high performance car on a track is much harder than it looks. At one point during the class the instructor, who had never been in a Tesla much less drove one, drove me around the track a few times in my MYLR and I honestly had to close my eyes a couple times but I did not "soil myself". But having a professional drive your car gives you a great sense of what it is capable of. The instructor was impressed. I actually had three different instructors and each of them were blown away by how quiet the car cabin was even at 116 MPH - no communication devices needed. We could talk to each other in a normal voice with helmets on and at speed. Truly amazing.
Sounds like a good time at BIR! I wonder how long does your battery last there? Is there a supercharger nearby? The driving school I went to was at Dakota County Technical College and the course is only about 1.2 miles long. We get seven 20-minute sessions and I had to severely cut down the number of laps by the 6th session. And that was with me driving pretty slowly during the first two sessions. I'm going again this weekend and am targeting 4~5 sessions.

Reactions: tmruwart
I took my MYP to a track last weekend to learn some performance driving. A couple of guys with Model 3's were surprised that the MYP doesn't have track mode. But I will say that as a total novice (first time ever on a track), I thought the MYP handled great and I quickly gained confidence driving faster around the track. I would certainly want a track mode, but to be honest I probably wouldn't really know how to adjust it for best results on a track. For me it would just be a cool toy to have as I don't plan on too many track sessions per year, even though it was A LOT of fun.
which track did you go to? The road courses near me wouldn't allow "SUVs".

I've taken a few of my other cars (mostly sports cars) to the track and like you said. I wouldn't need a track mode, but that's mostly because I'm a "casual" at the track. I'm normally in the group one above novice and don't go with an instructor anymore. I have fun though :D and that's what it's all about

Reactions: gx9901
which track did you go to? The road courses near me wouldn't allow "SUVs".

I've taken a few of my other cars (mostly sports cars) to the track and like you said. I wouldn't need a track mode, but that's mostly because I'm a "casual" at the track. I'm normally in the group one above novice and don't go with an instructor anymore. I have fun though :D and that's what it's all about
It was a small 1.2 mile track at a local technical college. Plenty of turns and I had a lot of fun though. The instructor told me they even had a minivan at the driving school before, so SUV is all good. I was the only one in an SUV there that day though.

DCTC-Track-and-Facility-Overview1120.jpg

It was a small 1.2 mile track at a local technical college. Plenty of turns and I had a lot of fun though. The instructor told me they even had a minivan at the driving school before, so SUV is all good. I was the only one in an SUV there that day though.

DCTC-Track-and-Facility-Overview1120.jpg
That looks fun!

And dont get me wrong, I'd love to have a "track mode" regardless if I'd actually use it on the track or not.

Sounds like a good time at BIR! I wonder how long does your battery last there? Is there a supercharger nearby? The driving school I went to was at Dakota County Technical College and the course is only about 1.2 miles long. We get seven 20-minute sessions and I had to severely cut down the number of laps by the 6th session. And that was with me driving pretty slowly during the first two sessions. I'm going again this weekend and am targeting 4~5 sessions.
BIR Track: we were on the short competition track which I think is 2.5 miles (see attached track map)
Chargers: there is a bank of 8 Tesla Superchargers about 2 miles outside the BIR main entrance at The Arrowwood Lodge at Brainerd Lake, 6967 Lake Forest Road, Baxter, MN 56425. They are 150kWh chargers.
Battery: Yes, on the first day when I was driving, the battery would last 3-4 of the 20-minute track sessions. When the instructor drove it, he sucked down about half the battery! Then on day two, I was starting to drive harder/faster and the battery lasted 3 sessions before I had to go recharge and I had to miss one driving session. I had only two driving sessions left after that and I used up about 70% of the battery during those two sessions.

Attachments

• TRACKMAP945.jpg
    TRACKMAP945.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: gx9901
BIR Track: we were on the short competition track which I think is 2.5 miles (see attached track map)
Chargers: there is a bank of 8 Tesla Superchargers about 2 miles outside the BIR main entrance at The Arrowwood Lodge at Brainerd Lake, 6967 Lake Forest Road, Baxter, MN 56425. They are 150kWh chargers.
Battery: Yes, on the first day when I was driving, the battery would last 3-4 of the 20-minute track sessions. When the instructor drove it, he sucked down about half the battery! Then on day two, I was starting to drive harder/faster and the battery lasted 3 sessions before I had to go recharge and I had to miss one driving session. I had only two driving sessions left after that and I used up about 70% of the battery during those two sessions.
I checked out BIR online a little bit and since there's a supercharger nearby, it might be something I'd want to try in the future. I can see how the battery can be sucked down quick with those long straightaways they have. Even on the smaller DCTC track I was on, the battery drained much quicker once I was up to speed a little bit.

I'm pretty sure those instructors are all racecar drivers. My instructor drove me around the DCTC track in his Porsche Boxter and it was like riding a roller coaster. LOL!

Reactions: tmruwart