Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are we ever going to get ChadeMO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Overland Park and Olathe are on the list for 2018/19 but new charging stations seem to be coming online very slow these days.

Odds are the rollout plans got squashed in the cash crunch.

My guess is that once cash becomes less tight this will accelerate again.

FWIW, I am wondering if Chademo has a future here in the US. It has to comepete with CCS and Superchargers, so I wonder what the long range future holds.

They have built a skeleton network across Oregon close enough together to be useful to Leaf’s, so while it would be nice to have as an option, I don’t know if it is $450 nice (or whatever the adapter costs).

Here is to hoping for a price drop when they enable model 3 support.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I would think it was more a matter of programming staff all working on version 9 rollout and also working on the model 3 in general.

Now that version 9 is rolling out, maybe they can backfill and finish the CHAdeMO/Model 3 code for the adapter. If you think about it how hard could it be? They already have a working version for the S and X. All they would need to do is change the charge profile for the 3 battery pack and everything else would stay the same.

"They have built a skeleton network across [western] Oregon"
There. Fixed that for ya.
That's not completely fair. There are enough Chademo to drive through the Western side of Oregon and Washington and BC without having to worry much. No, it's not nearly as good as Tesla's network, but it is good enough for about 80%-90% of the populated areas in the NW. You still can't take an non-NW interstate trip in a Leaf easily, but it's much better than anything you can use with a Ford or BMW EV.

I'm from Oregon as well. I've used them quite a bit in my Model S. I could have used the security of it the other day when I drove up to the north side of Mt Adams. Having to re-route to The Dalles on the way back would have been a pain!

The CHAdeMo infrastructure (on the West side) is really nice to have around.

Reactions: eprosenx
Not a high priority for most owners.

Probably true. And not a big deal if you're charging at home and driving (long distance) on interstates. But once off the interstates, there are many areas better served by chademo. So the real question is how much resource would be required of Tesla to enable this and what other functionality would be delayed (I'm assuming fixed resources). I suspect none of us know that.

Reactions: KJD
Which racetracks have Chademo?

Oh i'm not saying any do currently (they might, idk), i'm saying that once Model 3 supports it and there are Model 3's showing up every weekend (already happening in CA) then the tracks might install them and charge $.50 to $.75 per kwh

Similar to how they offer fuel for high mark-ups due to the convenience.

Oh i'm not saying any do currently (they might, idk), i'm saying that once Model 3 supports it and there are Model 3's showing up every weekend (already happening in CA) then the tracks might install them and charge $.50 to $.75 per kwh

Similar to how they offer fuel for high mark-ups due to the convenience.

Yes, a dual CCS/Chademo station makes perfect sense.