Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are we ever going to get ChadeMO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the Model 3 not available there yet?
If not, when is the 3 going to be available in Hawaii?
(I honestly thought it would be by now.)
They're there but I'm not permanently yet with mine. It's irrelevant. Point is, there are fast chargers there, just not superchargers, and it doesn't appear Tesla is making that happen fast out there. But if owners had access to the ChaDeMo adapter, that issue is solved.

To encourage or make easier the use of Chademo would be to enable the use of a foreign standard. For the good of Tesla and America, we should only have Tesla plugs and J1772 in the USA. Besides, Tesla is by far the most popular and best EV, so what's the sense of promoting a charging standard of limited use? Tesla cars going to Europe or China use THEIR charging plug, so let Nissans and Chevys and all non-Tesla EVs coming to America use OUR standard! The Tesla plug or J1772!

'MERICA!!!

'Merica.png

Attachments

• 'Merica.png
    'Merica.png
    226.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Funny.

Looking back on the history of J1772 and CCS it seems that Tesla was always ahead of the standard bodies. In the Roadster era there was the old J1772 standard that maxed out at 30A whereas Tesla was producing 70A chargers. CARB certified the current J1772 standard compatible up to 80A in time for the Model S but by then Tesla needed a connector that was compatible with both AC and DC charging so they again used their own plug but at least was electrically compatible with J1772.

Finally the standards bodies have actually caught up to and surpassed Tesla specs. It’s just too bad the result is these giant connectors.

I suspect in the future Tesla will directly support CCS. The question is what to do with the existing superchargers. In China, Tesla is retrofitting all their superchargers to be compliant with the Chinese standard to comply with the law.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Sad to say it, but I don't think Tesla is ever going to make CHAdeMO work on the Model 3. Everyone seems to be moving on to CCS and maybe Tesla will do the same.

Most of the Chargepoint machines around here have both CHAdeMO and CCS. Do all of the new ones have this ?

To encourage or make easier the use of Chademo would be to enable the use of a foreign standard. For the good of Tesla and America, we should only have Tesla plugs and J1772 in the USA. Besides, Tesla is by far the most popular and best EV, so what's the sense of promoting a charging standard of limited use? Tesla cars going to Europe or China use THEIR charging plug, so let Nissans and Chevys and all non-Tesla EVs coming to America use OUR standard! The Tesla plug or J1772!

'MERICA!!!

View attachment 359207

You do realize that J1772's original design came from Japan?

Funny.

Looking back on the history of J1772 and CCS it seems that Tesla was always ahead of the standard bodies. In the Roadster era there was the old J1772 standard that maxed out at 30A whereas Tesla was producing 70A chargers. CARB certified the current J1772 standard compatible up to 80A in time for the Model S but by then Tesla needed a connector that was compatible with both AC and DC charging so they again used their own plug but at least was electrically compatible with J1772.

Finally the standards bodies have actually caught up to and surpassed Tesla specs. It’s just too bad the result is these giant connectors.

I suspect in the future Tesla will directly support CCS. The question is what to do with the existing superchargers. In China, Tesla is retrofitting all their superchargers to be compliant with the Chinese standard to comply with the law.

I think that in the USA Tesla will be Tesla.

Laws in Europe were making it hard for Tesla _not_ to use CCS, Tesla already used a modified Type 2, and there are multiple growing CCS networks.

But in the USA, switching to CCS would require Tesla to switch to J1772 and there's no legislative pressure for Tesla to go CCS.

Sad to say it, but I don't think Tesla is ever going to make CHAdeMO work on the Model 3. Everyone seems to be moving on to CCS and maybe Tesla will do the same.

Most of the Chargepoint machines around here have both CHAdeMO and CCS. Do all of the new ones have this ?

They will have Chademo on Model 3 (at least via adapter) if they want to sell in Japan.

Reactions: jbcarioca
We use Chademo routinely in our Leaf. In our province the build out for Chademo is considerably better than Supercharger. The next 24 months will see the number of Chademo station double from 80 to 160 according to various sources. There are a few entities involved including BC hydro. It won't personally be a deal breaker for us buying a model 3 but it sure would be nice to have Chademo access.

As pointed out above, you're supposed to daily charge at home. Supercharging is for travel. It is well within the range of the 3 to drive from south KC to north KC and back. Or to Columbia and back. Or to Joplin or Salina. Why is it you need a supercharger so close to your home? Don't answer that. Just get an outlet.

The four Electrify America chargers being installed at a Walmart in Knoxville TN are dedicated CCS chargers (no Chademo) that can provide up to 350kW of charge power. See pictures:
upload_2018-12-9_22-19-33.jpeg

There will be one dedicated stall that will provide a CCS charger head that can charge at up to 150kW and a Chardemo Charger head that can charge up to 50kW.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-9_22-20-20.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-9_22-20-20.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 41
The Electrify America at the Walmart in Grants Pass, Oregon, is completed and active. 8 plugs, 7 of which are CCS, one CHAdeMO. I'd post pictures, but it appears to be identical to the one pictured above in Knoxville, TN. The one in Grants Pass has (? I didn't count how many) plugs rated at 350KW! At least two 350KW. It's on the opposite end of town (via I5) than the Tesla Supercharger, and I would have liked to use the CHAdeMO plug when I was headed southbound on I5 in my M3.

Reactions: KJD