TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Are we getting duped by repair shop?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by GrayGoose, Sep 13, 2019.

1. GrayGoose

GrayGoose New Member

My wife had some minor front-end cosmetic damage to her SR+ and punctured a small part of the front bumper. The damage was isolated and did not appear to hit or affect any of the sensors.

While we were getting the insurance and repair process figured out, we drove the car normally for about a month, including some long 200+ mile trips. Everything worked fine; autopilot, parking sensors, no error messages or anything.

Eventually we got the insurance estimate (the assessor deemed the damage to be only cosmetic and not interfering with the sensors) and found a repair shop, and dropped the car off to have the work done. Three days after dropping the car off, the repair shop sends us an email claiming that a sensor was indeed damaged, and that our insurance claim will have to adjusted accordingly.

My question is; if there was damage to a sensor, would it have manifested in any noticeable way to us as the drivers, either through error messages or performance issues? Are we getting duped? Or are there redundancies built into Tesla's hardware/software that could have sufficiently masked any damage/issues with the sensor?

Thanks.

2. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

They probably just broke the sensor harness or clips while they were disassembling the vehicle. For example, it’s pretty easy to break a harness connector if you don’t know how it works and try to force it. Seems like the most likely explanation. You can always go down and have them show you or have them send you pictures of the damage I suppose.

• Like x 3
  3. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

This. When a shop broke my outside temp sensor in the accident. Thankfully I tracked it down and fixed it myself.

4. AdamVIP

AdamVIP Member

Its probably crap but what are you going to do? If you are already over your deductible let the insurance handle it and don't worry.

5. timk225

timk225 Active Member

A better question is when are you NOT getting duped by a repair shop? As long as the insurance pays it, I wouldn't care too much.

• Like x 1
  6. Saguarojoe

Saguarojoe Member

Is the shop an authorized Tesla body shop? They are trained and have the proper equipment. They should do a scan of all the electronics both before and after.