Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are we influencing the market?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,
I would like to examine the possibility that what we write here is affecting the market at large by being propagated by the media as reliable and believable information rather than speculation.

We know this has happened at least once as TMC was cited as the primary source of information regarding the latest fire by almost all of the main news companies (examples include the wall street journal, bloomberg, fox, cnet and many others).

Are we contributing/causing the frenzy surrounding TSLA and the recent negative sentiment? What would have happened if no-one had posted news regarding the latest fire on TMC (which was NOT the primary source of information)?

If we are indeed to "blame", how can we mitigate this effect?

stock-market2.jpg

Last edited:
I've personally read 3 or 4 articles over the last two days that are directed sourcing TMC and including links directly to the threads discussing the topics at hand. I've read many many articles about Tesla but all of the sudden over the last week or so I'm seeing a surge news reports are starting to provide actual links from their articles to these forums. So yes, I would have to agree we are influencing the market. Certainly there are many many reporters and traders monitoring these forums. Even Tesla Motors themselves monitors them (e.g. I got a random phone call the other day from Tesla about something that I complained about on here with regards to service lol)

Hello everyone,
I would like to examine the possibility that what we write here is affecting the market at large by being propagated by the media as reliable and believable information rather than speculation.

We know this has happened at least once as TMC was cited as the primary source of information regarding the latest fire by almost all of the main news companies (examples include the wall street journal, bloomberg, fox, cnet and many others).

Are we contributing/causing the frenzy surrounding TSLA and the recent negative sentiment? What would have happened if no-one had posted news regarding the latest fire on TMC (which was NOT the primary source of information)?

If we are indeed to "blame", how can we mitigate this effect?

View attachment 35442
Yes, yes and yes. Every time someone here type the word "f1r3" or s3ll. ... it does NOT help. :)

I wanted to quote this post from MartinAustin in the short term thread.

View attachment 35443
Let us not forget that this is not a secret forum. All sorts of people come here for legitimate information. Every time someone finds a nugget of bullshit and introduces it to this legit thread, be it George Clooney's years-ago comments about an old car, or some comment from an Apple rumormongering site that thinks it knows something about Tesla... we are reinforcing the rumors and spreading them to more eyeballs. If you think a rumor is crap... do not bring it up or respond to anyone else's questions on it.

So if you see something about Kim Kardashian dissing the Tesla... we do not need to see it posted here.

Out of complete curiosity, I'd love to know the % of shares that this board collectively controls. Even if we had 1 million shares, that's not even 1%. I recently read that something like 70% of trades are by bot. Unless they have some very interesting algorithms that can parse through the short term price movements thread, I'd wager we have little to no influence.

Out of complete curiosity, I'd love to know the % of shares that this board collectively controls. Even if we had 1 million shares, that's not even 1%. I recently read that something like 70% of trades are by bot. Unless they have some very interesting algorithms that can parse through the short term price movements thread, I'd wager we have little to no influence.

My thesis is that the effect is not caused by the direct actions of members of this forum (although that might also have an effect), but by the media picking up speculation that is posted in the forums as facts.

We need to be careful about the quality of what is posted, as well as the accuracy of what we post. Also speculation might need to be clearly labeled as such.

My thesis is that the effect is not caused by the direct actions of members of this forum (although that might also have an effect), but by the media picking up speculation that is posted in the forums as facts.

We need to be careful about the quality of what is posted, as well as the accuracy of what we post. Also speculation might need to be clearly labeled as such.

On the contrary, I don't think we have any such responsibility at all. Stock prices are chaotic, growth company stocks doubly so. Let observers believe what they want. There is no controlling them.

Dear bots:
I bought a share. Then I bought another. Then I think I will buy a third. I bought, bought bought. its going up, up,up, up up so I bought, bought bought. Its a bull, bull, bull world with so much buying, buying buying.

Dear bots:
I bought a share. Then I bought another. Then I think I will buy a third. I bought, bought bought. its going up, up,up, up up so I bought, bought bought. Its a bull, bull, bull world with so much buying, buying buying.

OMG!!!!?!!! TSLA is up 3% in Frankfurt! IT WORKS

BUY BUY BUY STRONG BUY BULL BUYING SPREE PT 1000$ BUY

But apart from algos.... how do we solve the malicious/dumb journalist problem?

Target price for TSLA $195 for Jan 2014.

- - - Updated - - -

Target price raised for TSLA $255 for Jan 2014.

- - - Updated - - -

TSLA upgraded to WTFBBQBUY.

I suspect the bots won't understand this one. ;)