Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are We Looking At A Potential Redesign? Or What Do You Think?

Should the S be fully Redesigned?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is very common for car makers to do a "face lift" after a model has been out for 4 to 5 years; and yes, they sometimes do mess it up. If Tesla was a typical car company (which they are not), they would be working on a refresh (so who knows). I for one am not that crazy about the front end of the MX, but maybe it will grow on me. With Tesla being very engineering driven, their refresh may consist mainly of functional enhancements, like the bigger battery, etc., already mentioned.

It's the same thing that happens when traffic engineers have one too many pints:

magic-roundabout-a-masterpi_med.jpeg

Is this real? Where is it? Am I correctly understanding it as five lesser traffic circles integrated into a greater one? (Looks like a RHD country?)

Is this real? Where is it? Am I correctly understanding it as five lesser traffic circles integrated into a greater one? (Looks like a RHD country?)
They are roundabouts, not traffic circles. There are very critical differences. But yes, there are five roundabouts around a traffic circle. This one is in Swindon UK. I've been through one other and I think there are a total of three.

My guess is that a set of minor revisions will be announced soon. Incorporation of Model X items, repackaging of options. Tesla has said they need to work on costs; part of that has to be lowering the price of the S and X incrementally as the elimination of incentives approaches.

Reactions: gsxdsm
They are roundabouts, not traffic circles. There are very critical differences. But yes, there are five roundabouts around a traffic circle. This one is in Swindon UK. I've been through one other and I think there are a total of three.

I don't want to do too much threadjacking, but I've never heard this before. What are the critical differences between a roundabout and a traffic circle?

Cars within a roundabout always have right of way over cars entering. There are never any traffic controls within a roundabout so cars within should never stop. Walkway and bikeway crossings are at least one car length from the roundabout so that cars entering can stop for bikes & peds and then move forward to wait for a safe opportunity to enter the roundabout. Cars exiting can stop for bikes & peds without slowing traffic within the roundabout

Roundabouts are usually smaller and have a deflection upon entering so that cars always enter at a proper angle. Traffic circles and U.S. style intersections require extra lanes for queuing that are not needed with roundabouts.

The end result is that they are much more efficient and massively safer than traffic circles or intersections. And that is probably more than you ever wanted to know about roundabouts.

Unfortunately, US traffic engineers don't seem to understand the rule about keeping pedestrian crossings at least a car length from the exit. They also like to put stupid art and/or landscaping in the middle of them keeping you from seeing the other side. The result is that here we often have to slam on the brakes inside the roundabout to keep from hitting a crossing pedestrian at the exit. I have not been stopping for pedestrians (not already in the crossing) at the roundabout exits because of this. The alternative is to place yourself in a position to be rear-ended and driven into the pedestrian anyway

And yes...I would love a mild redesign with X nose and door handles.

The door handles are actually the thing that worries me most about the Model X, and one of the reasons I'm considering a CPO S instead.

Well, not the handles themselves, but the motor driven self opening doors that inevitably go with "handles" that cannot be pulled on. I'm not sure I really trust the car not to hit other cars with the door - and there was the one guy with an X this week who couldn't even get it back to the service center because one door wouldn't close and it didn't fit out of the garage that way, or some such?

I'm all for sophisticated technology where it matters, but I'm fully capable of opening my own door and not convinced the automatic doors are ready for mass production.
Walter