Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are we now seeing the true value of Tesla’s ? Read:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery in Oct ‘22, what am I missing here?

1/2 the price? I’ve heard of markups but eeesh

Blue
20s

9F0D6699-2DA0-4EAF-ABED-3DC27310DA86.jpeg

Just got a trade in quote from Tesla for my 2020 SR+ with relatively low mileage (20k km). $29,000.

I knew it was going to be low. But I didn’t think it would be under $35k. Considering new ones with the federal credit still cost $50k.

I’m fine with this if used prices start to come down as well. But I was planning on buying a new model Y. Now maybe I’ll wait until a used one comes along with the current prices reflected.

Just got a trade in quote from Tesla for my 2020 SR+ with relatively low mileage (20k km). $29,000.

I knew it was going to be low. But I didn’t think it would be under $35k. Considering new ones with the federal credit still cost $50k.

I’m fine with this if used prices start to come down as well. But I was planning on buying a new model Y. Now maybe I’ll wait until a used one comes along with the current prices reflected.

Give the used-value system time to absorb the new reality of new prices and tax-rebates. It'll settle down - right now all the resellers are spooked from having paid too much for used inventory in the last few months

Back in the day when you drove off a dealers lot with a brand new car, the second the tires touched pavement you lost between 20 to 30% of the value.
There is absolutely no reason for the crazy stupid price of the past year to 18 months in used cars. Why would you pay more for a used than new?

Reactions: ATPMSD
Back in the day when you drove off a dealers lot with a brand new car, the second the tires touched pavement you lost between 20 to 30% of the value.
There is absolutely no reason for the crazy stupid price of the past year to 18 months in used cars. Why would you pay more for a used than new?

Yeah we got spoiled by Teslas having almost no depreciation, and then actually gaining in value in the pandemic era.

Things are drifting back closer to "normal" where used cars go down at rates like 10% per year... maybe less once the recent price changes settle down.

I think some people are under the impression there’s some magic when it comes to trade in values?

The reality is you’ll get roughly whatever Tesla can sell the car for wholesale - you submit your value request, they reach out to their fave wholesalers. Right now the values they’ll pay are massively reduced, for obvious reasons.

Legacy auto dealers muddied the waters in a way that Tesla doesn’t by sometimes claiming to “give you more for your trade”. In reality they were adding to other parts of the pricing, or maybe hitting a sales target and dealership bonus they could work in.

There are no fairy tales, definitely not in car sales anyway! Given new prices, Tesla trade in prices are about what I’d expect.

Just to clarify and validate the aforementioned accusation :

My Model 3 LR 2022 was purchased for $68,000 Dec 2021

TESLA took my M3 back in trade-in-value of $64,700 on Sept 2022 towards my MY.

My MYLR value is noted above for Trade in. It's laughable.

The whole "trade in is always lower" is pretty much debunked in my personal experience with Tesla.

MYLR, 2022, value: 45K ? Selling for 87K at the time....... SMH