Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are we stuck with low supercharge 2015 s 85d?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't believe my 2015 s 85d only charges at most 75kw at supercharger for 10 min then down to under 40. On my way to Las Vegas for funeral and the trip is taking me 12 hours total from bay area. Is this the new norm. Let's hope someone is working on a 15 min charge at least to 80%.

It's not across the board on all of them. I have a 2014 S85. My wife and I just took a trip back in June that was about 500 miles each way, so 1,000 round trip. When I had managed to arrive really low, I still saw 114 kW for a little while as the most. That's about the highest I was ever able to see ever since I had gotten it. Most of the charging curve I think has gone down some, but I still don't feel it's too bad. These old 85 batteries used to have a very consistent, predictable tapering curve, where you could add the battery % and the charging power in kW and get about 120 to 125 almost all the time through the charging. Now, it's a bit less, but I still see a bit over 100 for that figure of those two added together.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
It's not across the board on all of them. I have a 2014 S85. My wife and I just took a trip back in June that was about 500 miles each way, so 1,000 round trip. When I had managed to arrive really low, I still saw 114 kW for a little while as the most. That's about the highest I was ever able to see ever since I had gotten it. Most of the charging curve I think has gone down some, but I still don't feel it's too bad. These old 85 batteries used to have a very consistent, predictable tapering curve, where you could add the battery % and the charging power in kW and get about 120 to 125 almost all the time through the charging. Now, it's a bit less, but I still see a bit over 100 for that figure of those two added together.

There’s been at least one post which said the V11 update that is rolling out to the mcu1 cars boosts this from 100 to over 130. Anxiously waiting for the update.

Right now on cold days it’s 90, pseudo warm battery is 100 and on road trips on hot days it’s been around 113 lately.

Reactions: wodnik7 and Rocky_H
Not sure how things differ between MCU1 and 2, but mine with MCU2 had recently a max of 130kW with a tapered curve of SOC+power between 115 and 130. This only happens after constant highway drive of around +2h and below 10% on arrival.

Currently pre-update around 110 is the best I can do in a similar trip so this is a somewhat significant improvement to get it to 130. Can’t wait!

i always use the nav to a supercharger even when i know its within rang and i know exactly where it is just in case the car wants to heat or cool the battery before i get there.

Here is my current SC curve starting from 2019 until 17 July 2022. I take a reading at the start once it levels off and again right before i unplug it.
Capture.PNG

i always use the nav to a supercharger even when i know its within rang and i know exactly where it is just in case the car wants to heat or cool the battery before i get there.

Here is my current SC curve starting from 2019 until 17 July 2022. I take a reading at the start once it levels off and again right before i unplug it.
My MCU1/AP1 got the V11 update last week (which supposedly boosted charging rates), and I had the opportunity to V2 Supercharge yesterday while grabbing my families evening meal.

I didn't get the "settled" (post-plugin-spike) starting rate, but when I returned to the car, I was still at 67 kW with 53% SoC; this was higher than both my experiences post-"chargegate" and the curve fit (though a couple of the top data points may match)...perhaps the V11 update did help boost things a bit.

My MCU1/AP1 got the V11 update last week (which supposedly boosted charging rates), and I had the opportunity to V2 Supercharge yesterday while grabbing my families evening meal.

I didn't get the "settled" (post-plugin-spike) starting rate, but when I returned to the car, I was still at 67 kW with 53% SoC; this was higher than both my experiences post-"chargegate" and the curve fit (though a couple of the top data points may match)...perhaps the V11 update did help boost things a bit.
I got 2022.20.6 yesterday or the day before and haven't charged since, but ill be heading down the hill on Friday so I'll get to see if the speeds have improved.

In the before times (2018) i was charging at 72kW at 50%, now its been 50'ish kW at 50% with a few outliers

I got 2022.20.6 yesterday or the day before and haven't charged since, but ill be heading down the hill on Friday so I'll get to see if the speeds have improved.

In the before times (2018) i was charging at 72kW at 50%, now its been 50'ish kW at 50% with a few outliers

Supercharged my 85D this morning after getting the update with basically an ambient battery (it’s 80F here). Sadly I didn’t see much change in the charging curve from before. Started at around soc + kWh = 90 and ending around 113 same as it’s always been. Need to go on a trip and see if there is improvement.

I did notice improved regen though or perhaps it’s my imagination.

I have a 2014 85s. 80 kw at 20% is the maximum I've seen. The way I look at it is, it's free and I have time for a cup of coffee and a good no. 2

Honestly this is the truth. For free I don’t mind waiting an extra 5-10 minutes to charge. Since I exclusively supercharge my 85D pays me about $200/month in free charging.

Just had my 2015 85D with AP1/MCU1 upgraded to MCU2 last week (2 month wait). Ran car down to 3% SOC and then supercharged to 94%. As I had time to kill, didn’t mind shopping/watching a Netflix movie. I think I maxed out charging speeds with 115kw at the start and when it was 90% SOC, it was painful watching the charge rate at 3-4kw so I gave up and left at 94%.

Attachments

• FA22515A-C166-4E98-9541-689D432A7D85.jpeg
    FA22515A-C166-4E98-9541-689D432A7D85.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 183
  • A40F2E28-DD77-43C4-B863-D3F0524C529D.jpeg
    A40F2E28-DD77-43C4-B863-D3F0524C529D.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 200
85d here still under battery power train warranty and just charged from ~20% SOC and got 60 KW… immediately down to 54 then 52 kW still well below 50% SOC eventually down to 42 KW…..e-golf levels. Recently had thenlouvers replaced figured slow charging in cold weather was because of them. But this is in 82° weather. Thinking I need to put the pressure on Tesla to replace the battery before warranty is up.

Now I’m at 40 KW at 64% …. The e-golf maintains 43KW until 80% consistently. This seems indefensible and should be embarrassing enough for Tesla to remedy this issue for all OG owners who gave them the benefit of the doubt.