Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are we stuck with low supercharge 2015 s 85d?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Performance cars are just less efficient than their non-performance counterparts. Note that he has an 85D and you have a P90D. My average over the past 17 months is 316wh/mi. 21" wheels and summer tires would make that a bit worse. If I ran 19s with LRR tires, it'd be a bit better.

Late to the thread…. I have a P85 2016. My experience is summarized below. When we drove to Hilton head from Ottawa, pre sw update, most charges were 20 min, with the occasional 45 min. Now the trip displays every charge at 45 min and some at an hour. Hasn’t been a concern with the COVID.
I agree free supercharger is helping offset this concern but not sure i could handle these charge rates for a long trip.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
We took an epic road trip from California, through the south, to New York, back through the north/midwest. Tesla’s trip planning these days seems to be extra conservative, advising you to charge up very high. Once getting our charging stride, I ended up aiming to arrive with 5-10%, and charging to only around 50% because of the terrible charge curve. I could see how tesla’s fewer and longer stops might be better for EV noobs to not run out.

Reactions: maximizese
I have a P100DL which was formerly a ‘15 P85D. I upgraded the pack to a 100 kWh and the rapid mate to a 1022565-10-F which had better weld points between the aluminum and copper. The old pack was loosing the battle of the modules and the max range was 220 but realistically it only got around 190 tops. I was getting terrible wh/mi around the 400s. The rear drive failed and was replaced under warranty. I was getting bad wh/mi still after it was replaced, and almost wonder if the lack of punch in the pack was causing me to throttle more. Anyways, I had the pack swapped out from a salvage back from a non-raven ’19 MS. Had around 150 charge cycles so it was in relatively good shape. Paid roughly 12K for the pack plus transportation costs and installation. I opened up my old pack and sold the modules out of it. I got roughly 6K back from selling on FB and ebay. Bottom line, I’m supercharging around 138 kW from single digits to around 30%. Then it tapers to about 90s until it hits 70%. It takes about 45 mins to reach 90% but topped off it gives over 300 miles if I keep the kw/mi sub 300. For some reason I’m driving more efficiently now. I can really hypermile better than I ever could with the old pack. Could be subjective, but even with the extra 300 lbs of the 100kWh pack, it’s driving much better. I still have my unlimited supercharging and I’m saving a butt load of cash overall with driving in general because I only really pay for tires, wiper blades, and washer fluid. The car is out of warranty now and I don’t anticipate having major costs for the next 7 to 9 years with driving. The current battery has roughly 6.40 CAC delta between the modules, which I don’t think is that bad. I’m oscillating between 93 and 89 kWh by calculation. Which isn’t super but now that I’m at 170+ charge cycles, I can deal with that. The important thing is; it’s a faster car, it drives for free, it charges faster, and has WAY more range. I’ll keep babying the battery as much as I can. I’m hyperfocused on how the battery responds to my driving. It’s a win win any way I look at it.

If you are experiencing very slow Supercharger rates (like 50 or 70 kW) you may want to create a service request. With the heat in some areas like around Phoenix, which has been above 110 F some days, the charging rates might slow down some to keep the main battery cool. This is a good time to also ask your service center to check the front bumper area cooling vents and cooling system (plus do a full inspection if you haven't done one yet this year).

Newer Teslas can charge a lot faster...I think August 2020+ Model S and Model X vehicles can charge at 250 kW.

I have a P100DL which was formerly a ‘15 P85D. I upgraded the pack to a 100 kWh and the rapid mate to a 1022565-10-F which had better weld points between the aluminum and copper. The old pack was loosing the battle of the modules and the max range was 220 but realistically it only got around 190 tops. I was getting terrible wh/mi around the 400s. The rear drive failed and was replaced under warranty. I was getting bad wh/mi still after it was replaced, and almost wonder if the lack of punch in the pack was causing me to throttle more. Anyways, I had the pack swapped out from a salvage back from a non-raven ’19 MS. Had around 150 charge cycles so it was in relatively good shape. Paid roughly 12K for the pack plus transportation costs and installation. I opened up my old pack and sold the modules out of it. I got roughly 6K back from selling on FB and ebay. Bottom line, I’m supercharging around 138 kW from single digits to around 30%. Then it tapers to about 90s until it hits 70%. It takes about 45 mins to reach 90% but topped off it gives over 300 miles if I keep the kw/mi sub 300. For some reason I’m driving more efficiently now. I can really hypermile better than I ever could with the old pack. Could be subjective, but even with the extra 300 lbs of the 100kWh pack, it’s driving much better. I still have my unlimited supercharging and I’m saving a butt load of cash overall with driving in general because I only really pay for tires, wiper blades, and washer fluid. The car is out of warranty now and I don’t anticipate having major costs for the next 7 to 9 years with driving. The current battery has roughly 6.40 CAC delta between the modules, which I don’t think is that bad. I’m oscillating between 93 and 89 kWh by calculation. Which isn’t super but now that I’m at 170+ charge cycles, I can deal with that. The important thing is; it’s a faster car, it drives for free, it charges faster, and has WAY more range. I’ll keep babying the battery as much as I can. I’m hyperfocused on how the battery responds to my driving. It’s a win win any way I look at it.
Details on this please? I'll do the same thing...

It would appear that our 11/13 built S85 Supercharging sessions can be all over the place. I just made a round-trip drive from Orange County to Napa Valley, Ca and had some weird charging experiences. We drove out Sunday and stopped to charge in Calabasas, Bakersfield, Firebaugh, and San Ramon. Everything seemed fine and was the usual SOC% + kW rate around 100 at the beginning of the session. The drive back I stopped at Santa Nella, Kettleman (lounge), Tejon, and Tustin.

Here's where it got a little weird. I pulled into Kettleman City on an unpaired stall with an 8% SOC and the most I got was 74kW on a V2. No worries, I stopped to answer some emails, use the restroom, grab a drink, and rest my eyes. It was about 94F out so I thought maybe the heat, the charging equipment, or my car was just sub-optimal from the usual ~100kW my car can briefly reach. I make my way down to Tejon and plug into a V2 stall with the plug and cord cooking in the hot sun with about 10% SOC. I hit 134kW! which I've never seen anything beyond 128kW and it holds well above 100kW for over 5 minutes (which it's never done since the mid-2019 software updates). This fast session got me enough charge to make it to Commerce, Ca with an estimated arrival 20% SOC in about 30 minutes.

I drive through the Grapevine only to find that my estimated arrival SOC was increasing to 26%, so I re-route to Anaheim, then to Tustin. I get to Tustin with 10% SOC at an empty V3 charging site and my max kW is a disappointing 98. I'm use to my estimate arrival SOC going down as I'm nearing the destination, not the other way around but perhaps I had a tailwind that I wasn't aware of. Anyway, I'm not sure what to make of all this. That Tejon charging session was literally twice as fast as I've been accustomed to over the years.

Too late to edit, but I wanted to add that my miraculous charging session at Tejon had a SOC + kW sum around 140 at the beginning and faded down to 116 at around 40% which was unbelievable for me so I had to take a picture. Notice it still takes about 1h40m to get to 100%, so it is rare that I Supercharge beyond 70%

Attachments

• tempImageTRIQLt.png
    tempImageTRIQLt.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 123
S85D I’ve been hitting up to 127 kW at low states of charge below about 10% down to 100 or less by 20% . Currently it’s 75°F, cooling louvers have remained closed the whole time, and I’m getting 60 kW at 40%. Update now I’m getting 51 kW at 50%. By the way before the warranty ran out earlier this year, I brought up charging speed issues multiple times with Tesla service and basically was hand waved that it’s fine. Even though they didn’t diagnose the failed cooling louvers I had to lead them to that conclusion.

Last edited:
Recently I have been using 2 Urban SCer locations to charge my 2015 85D that has been out of (extended) warranty since the end of June 2023 and have only gotten max 52 KW instead of the 72 KW (and occasionally 74 KW I used to get at the same locations). this is typically with a low SOC when pluugging in. (yetsreday I plugged in with 33 miles of RR in the tank) and it took an hour and 20 minutes to to 90%.)

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 11.04.23 AM.png

This is really putting a cramp in my style. I have spent YEARS happily SCing while grabbing a bite to eat at a nearby restaurant, but the new "throttled" charging curve makes these meals a bit too leasrurly to the point of tedium.

I dread having to go back to level 2 overnight charging b/c most of the garages in my neighborhood with destination chargers are so congested that I generally only replenish 180 rated miles instead of the 225 rated miles my car gets at 90% b/c the attendants have to unplug me to let someone else charge. (both urban SCing locations are also cheaper to park at than the overnight places in my neighborhood, which is one reason it drives me nuts when I don't get a full charge overnight given the amount of $$ i've spent on parking.)

I dread my next roadtrip.

I suspect Tesla is doing this to nudge those of us with free SCing to give it up in favor of a new Tesla that SCes quickly.

I had a Model 3 LR Loaner last May when my car was in for its final in warranty service and -- let me tell you -- the SCer pricing that had been until this time unkown to me (b/c it was hidden from those of us with unimited free SCing) was a bit of a shock! I find the rates to be very expensive!

to Tesla's credit, the urban SCers that require a parking fee to charge are a bit cheaper than the SCers that offer free parking, but it's crazy how the price of electricity has risen since Tesla began charging for SC use!

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Recently I have been using 2 Urban SCer locations to charge my 2015 85D that has been out of (extended) warranty since the end of June 2023 and have only gotten max 52 KW instead of the 72 KW (and occasionally 74 KW I used to get at the same locations). this is typically with a low SOC when pluugging in. (yetsreday I plugged in with 33 miles of RR in the tank) and it took an hour and 20 minutes to to 90%.)

View attachment 980352

This is really putting a cramp in my style. I have spent YEARS happily SCing while grabbing a bite to eat at a nearby restaurant, but the new "throttled" charging curve makes these meals a bit too leasrurly to the point of tedium.

I dread having to go back to level 2 overnight charging b/c most of the garages in my neighborhood with destination chargers are so congested that I generally only replenish 180 rated miles instead of the 225 rated miles my car gets at 90% b/c the attendants have to unplug me to let someone else charge. (both urban SCing locations are also cheaper to park at than the overnight places in my neighborhood, which is one reason it drives me nuts when I don't get a full charge overnight given the amount of $$ i've spent on parking.)

I dread my next roadtrip.

I suspect Tesla is doing this to nudge those of us with free SCing to give it up in favor of a new Tesla that SCes quickly.

I had a Model 3 LR Loaner last May when my car was in for its final in warranty service and -- let me tell you -- the SCer pricing that had been until this time unkown to me (b/c it was hidden from those of us with unimited free SCing) was a bit of a shock! I find the rates to be very expensive!

to Tesla's credit, the urban SCers that require a parking fee to charge are a bit cheaper than the SCers that offer free parking, but it's crazy how the price of electricity has risen since Tesla began charging for SC use!
That’s unfortunate! An observation that would support your theory about them trying to nudge people off of the free super charging - for the last couple months I have noticed that the 85D doesn’t route to necessary superchargers even though online routing and trip planner are both enabled in the navigation settings. It’s no problem because I’ve gotten much more efficient at trip planning than the NAV ever was and I’m able to display and route to nearby superchargers manually, but unless this is some software glitch (MCU1), seems strange. Has been having a hard time installing a navigation data update 2022.44–14515, partially completed, so it could have something to do with that? Anyways, thought I should chime in.

Has been having a hard time installing a navigation data update 2022.44–14515, partially completed, so it could have something to do with that? Anyways, thought I should chime in.

ve been trying to download this update for the past week myself... Unfortunately I haven't been driving long distances and haven't made much headway on my daily commute. i'll try to be more proactive about getting it downloaded this week and report back if I see any differences.

As an aside, I had trouble initializing the wifi the other day in order to continue the download. when I rebooted my MCU1, I lost TACC and autopilot features. (wifi finally worked tho so I could continue the NAV data download) -- I was worried I'd have to take my now out-of-warranty 85D in for “paid” service, but a full power down of the vehicle brought autopilot back from the dead in a way that resetting both screens did not. (Rebooting both screens was my 1st attempt at troubleshooting, but it didn’t help.)

powering down will be my go-to trouble shooting method going forward.

ve been trying to download this update for the past week myself... Unfortunately I haven't been driving long distances and haven't made much headway on my daily commute. i'll try to be more proactive about getting it downloaded this week and report back if I see any differences.

As an aside, I had trouble initializing the wifi the other day in order to continue the download. when I rebooted my MCU1, I lost TACC and autopilot features. (wifi finally worked tho so I could continue the NAV data download) -- I was worried I'd have to take my now out-of-warranty 85D in for “paid” service, but a full power down of the vehicle brought autopilot back from the dead in a way that resetting both screens did not. (Rebooting both screens was my 1st attempt at troubleshooting, but it didn’t help.)

powering down will be my go-to trouble shooting method going forward.
Have you replaced the navigation microSD memory card? The partial download of a Nav update could be a symptom of a failed memory card. I had the same problem in my 2014 S85 in Aug’22. It is a common problem. Here is a picture of the replacement memory card that can be purchased from Tesla for less than $20, and can be installed by sliding the MCU unit out from the dash. There are YouTube video’s with the details.

Attachments

• 68178306958__6FF0B9EA-2394-456E-BE35-EB1FD08A24DE.jpeg
    68178306958__6FF0B9EA-2394-456E-BE35-EB1FD08A24DE.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 31
at super charger now in colorado.. 8 stalls avail out of 12..why am i only getting 26 kw?????less then at my home? models 75d 2017....i have a target of 90% today and i am 5% away from that.....i guess my battery tech from 2017 sucks.

now at 21kw....20 mintues later...lol

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
at super charger now in colorado.. 8 stalls avail out of 12..why am i only getting 26 kw?????less then at my home? models 75d 2017....i have a target of 90% today and i am 5% away from that.....i guess my battery tech from 2017 sucks.

now at 21kw....20 mintues later...lol

Battery all warmed up and did you start with a low %SOC? Try another stall. Check Service Mode for any alerts that aren't showing on the user interface. Try another Supercharger Site.

• Helpful
stopped at a diff sc and same thing...25kw then 23...what a joke...why would i want to take a trip with these numbers...when we first got the car and took it to wisc from colorado the sc rathers in 2018 were muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh higher..lol

• Funny