Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are we supposed to tip mobile service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mobile service just finished working on my car. There was an awkward silence after he told me he was all done, and just standing there.

Are we supposed to/expected to tip mobile service guys?

No not for mobile service, but I think the silence was to remind you that you forgot to tip the delivery person:

$35,400 for a barebone Model 3 times 15% that means at least:

$5,310 delivery tip. :)

No not for mobile service, but I think the silence was to remind you that you forgot to tip the delivery person:

$35,400 for a barebone Model 3 times 15% that means at least:

$5,310 delivery tip. :)

I debated tipping my 3rd party delivery guy but was a little annoyed that my brand new Model 3 was loaded on the very front (and thus picked up a MILLION bug hits) and a ~1990s mini van was loaded behind it. Sure it would have taken an extra five minutes to move the car when they picked up the van, but if they wanted to go the extra mile they would have swapped the vehicles around. They also showed up at 9:45pm which stressed me out on making my delivery inspection...

Did you tip the service guy when you took your last car to the dealership (assuming the Tesla isn't your first car (with problems))? I never have.
At least in Michigan, we don't have a choice to take our car in, but to only have mobile service come to us (if it's an option, mind you). So it's not like Michiganders are causing the techs to go above and beyond; they're doing their enlisted job.

I've had mobile out once after first getting my car--when mobile dropped off a rear license plate holder--and don't think I did. He said he was required to also check my tire pressure and thread wear just like if you took your car into a service center. I was surprised and impressed by that. He also called on his way to my house and I'm pretty sure I was sent an email prior to the day to confirm. Maybe if mobile service was there to do more I would have thought to.

We did, however, take some gourmet chocolates to the service department when picking up my car after due bill service. This was right after 3rd quarter rush here in the bay area. Tesla was in the process of also setting up the Tesla body shop and these guys really got crushed with a lot of people wanting their due bills addressed. We appreciated how they handled things. Haven't needed to use service since.

I do. My mobile service guy is the same person who has been to my house twice. Trust me I get better service (more things taken card off) when he came back. He’s been great. All issues fixed.

That’s their job.

27D1FB54-56B5-43EE-920E-99273871C51D.jpeg

That's a tough call for me. I tipped the guy who installed my garage door and opener. I tipped the guy that installed the outlet for my charger. But I've never tipped a mechanic at a dealership. Never even occurred to me.

I think I would for this though. Somehow in my mind it's different when they come out to where I am to do work.

That’s their job.

Sure is their job, so is the server that brings me a breakfast every now and then. I tip min 50% of my bill to all diner servers. My mom said it was one of the hardest jobs she had while going to college, and said the tips were horrible.

Separate thought:

Some people just do things because they can or want to, as long as one is not being obnoxious or looking for a thanks I see nothing wrong with it. People that do have a problem with what others do with their money. I just don't get that. Spend it, give it away, hoard it. Who cares.

I've had only one experience with mobile service and I didn't tip. However I gave him a few water bottles during my tire rotation and a big gatorade for the road considering it was very hot out. He was pleasantly surprised when I gave them to him. Makes me wonder if other owner don't even bother to at least offer water.

Sure is their job, so is the server that brings me a breakfast every now and then. I tip min 50% of my bill to all diner servers. My mom said it was one of the hardest jobs she had while going to college, and said the tips were horrible.

Separate thought:

Some people just do things because they can or want to, as long as one is not being obnoxious or looking for a thanks I see nothing wrong with it. People that do have a problem with what others do with their money. I just don't get that. Spend it, give it away, hoard it. Who cares.

There is a stark difference between someone who's wage is largely dependent on tips, and a salaried employee who is likely compensated fairly for their job. The issue with tipping people who normally aren't in a 'tipped wage position' is that it could potentially lead to situations as OP describes. Tesla mobile technicians should never expect to receive a tip, but consistent behavior from other owners that feel like tipping may change their expectations.

There is a stark difference between someone who's wage is largely dependent on tips, and a salaried employee who is likely compensated fairly for their job. The issue with tipping people who normally aren't in a 'tipped wage position' is that it could potentially lead to situations as OP describes. Tesla mobile technicians should never expect to receive a tip, but consistent behavior from other owners that feel like tipping may change their expectations.

That is funny. I never ask anyone how they are paid, or how much. Never would say.....Hey do you think you are fairly compensated? I have no idea what the hourly rate/salary is for a Tesla mechanic or the person that picks up my car. Really none of my business. Seems like some find it an issue, and some don't. Or maybe better put. Some don't like the fact I tip because it might make them feel like they have to. One is assuming a tech is expecting something. I have never experienced that feeling, and I try not to assume things as habit. Just a note in the window of the car, and I usually get a text later saying thanks.

Such tough decisions in life.

i was going to say the same but you nailed it. I’m at a restaurant now and that’s one thing I do is take care of my wait staff and believe me they do remember you. I also tip good in transportation whether it be Lyft or taxi service.

Fred

Reactions: 0ptions