Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are we supposed to tip mobile service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man I had both of those done recently and didn’t even consider tipping. Can't companies just pay employees a decent wage so they don’t have to supplement with tips?
What?

If someone is great at their service job, I’d say a tip is in order. I don’t care if they make more then me.

how did you turn this into a wage argument?

What?

If someone is great at their service job, I’d say a tip is in order. I don’t care if they make more then me.

I'm just wondering how we're supposed to know when to tip someone. How am I supposed to know if the guy who installed my garage door or the plug for my car did a "great" job? All I know is that they completed the task they were hired to do.

Ignore the wage part. That was more of a rant because I'm not really a fan of tipping as a practice, especially in service industries where employees are underpaid and tips are needed just to reach a living wage. (like waiters, hotel maids, etc...)

Reactions: Runt8 and bedoig
What?

I don't get your position at all. Do you tip your CPA, lawyer, financial advisor, doctor? Tips are for people who don't have their full wage built in. Repeat business is your tip for "normal" jobs. I'm also not a fan of tipping, although I'm generous for the jobs I know rely on it.

Mobile service just finished working on my car. There was an awkward silence after he told me he was all done, and just standing there.

Are we supposed to/expected to tip mobile service guys?

I would say this depends entirely on where you live, and whether you are the type to tip your mailman (so that mail doesn't get lost), your doorman (so that your Amazon packages don't walk away), and contribute to your local police department via annual fundraising drives (vs. a-la-cart via tickets).

You and I drive through Joisey.
I think you know what the right answer is.
If you are not sure, the fact that you started the thread tells me that you really do.

Bottom line - don't be a Shoeby, and show the man some gratitude if he did a good job!

I don't get your position at all. Do you tip your CPA, lawyer, financial advisor, doctor? Tips are for people who don't have their full wage built in. Repeat business is your tip for "normal" jobs. I'm also not a fan of tipping, although I'm generous for the jobs I know rely on it.
TBH I don’t know my position either.... hardworking employee that somehow makes my experience or life better, I’d tip?

guess that’s the way I’d explain it.

Reactions: outdoors
Sure is their job, so is the server that brings me a breakfast every now and then. I tip min 50% of my bill to all diner servers. My mom said it was one of the hardest jobs she had while going to college, and said the tips were horrible.
Dining tip is different than other manual labor where the individual is actually being paid a normal wage.

I agree with other folks; it's fine to tip them, but the tech shouldn't be expecting it. It's expected for restaurant servers here in the United States.

That is funny. I never ask anyone how they are paid, or how much. Never would say.....Hey do you think you are fairly compensated? I have no idea what the hourly rate/salary is for a Tesla mechanic or the person that picks up my car. Really none of my business. Seems like some find it an issue, and some don't. Or maybe better put. Some don't like the fact I tip because it might make them feel like they have to. One is assuming a tech is expecting something. I have never experienced that feeling, and I try not to assume things as habit. Just a note in the window of the car, and I usually get a text later saying thanks.

Such tough decisions in life.

If you live in the US, it should be common sense.

Dining tip is different than other manual labor where the individual is actually being paid a normal wage.

I agree with other folks; it's fine to tip them, but the tech shouldn't be expecting it. It's expected for restaurant servers here in the United States.

Didn't I say that it was different?

If you live in the US, it should be common sense.

As I mentioned I don't do cash for Tesla rangers or car delivery. A little gift card to Starbucks or Panera for someone on the road all day is what I call a gesture.
Would hardly say that changes someone's income.

I do send my doctor, lawyer, and accountant little tokens of thanks each year. Is a 20 folded up with a handshake? No. Is it salmon I caught in Alaska and had smoked? Yes.

TBH I don’t know my position either.... hardworking employee that somehow makes my experience or life better, I’d tip?

guess that’s the way I’d explain it.

Just curious - how would you benchmark the experience to amount of tip? I tip the pizza delivery guy a few bucks, restaurant server gets 20% for decent service, the three guys who delivered and set up my Peloton treadmill got $20 each. Those all seem pretty easy to gauge, but how much to tip something like mobile service? What would it be based on?

Put another way, I had an entire medical team open my chest and perform coronary arterial bypass surgery - it was the most expensive service I've ever received and I would argue it provided me with the most value in return. What kind of tip would be appropriate for each of them?

Additionally, does it matter if the service is something I requested? For example, I buy a lemon of a vehicle and I have to keep getting service for it - the service guy does a good job sure, deserves a tip, but the damned thing keeps needing work that I shouldn't expect to be responsible for (warranty) - does that change the dynamics of this interaction?

I'm not trying to argue with anyone - I'm honestly just questioning where we draw the line. I don't know the answer to this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runt8 and 0ptions
Put another way, I had an entire medical team open my chest and perform coronary arterial bypass surgery - it was the most expensive service I've ever received and I would argue it provided me with the most value in return. What kind of tip would be appropriate for each of them?

I'm not trying to argue with anyone - I'm honestly just questioning where we draw the line. I don't know the answer to this.

My mother-in-law had breast cancer and gave her surgery team a gift basket gave her radiation team a little pin that said the rad team. She also wrote a letter to the Chief of staff of each hospital and said how it's satisfied she was and the care that she received was the best care that she'd received from doctors nurses in her life. She bonded with the radiation team through a different difficult experience in her life why shouldn't she say thanks if she wants to different than others?

She was appreciative for the care she received so in return she felt she needed to say thank you with more than just words.

Sometimes the words in life are good enough sometimes people want to do more. Faulting the people that want to do more because of the way it should be.The way things should be is the way I want them in my life. Not some prescribed way of doing things that has to be set in stone.

Reactions: Plug-n-Play
Just curious - how would you benchmark the experience to amount of tip? I tip the pizza delivery guy a few bucks, restaurant server gets 20% for decent service, the three guys who delivered and set up my Peloton treadmill got $20 each. Those all seem pretty easy to gauge, but how much to tip something like mobile service? What would it be based on?

Additionally, does it matter if the service is something I requested? For example, I buy a lemon of a vehicle and I have to keep getting service for it - the service guy does a good job sure, deserves a tip, but the damned thing keeps needing work that I shouldn't expect to be responsible for (warranty) - does that change the dynamics of this interaction?

Yea not sure where I mentally draw the line either. Guess just when it feels right.

At some point it becomes a gift instead of a tip. I recently had a good Attorney save my ass about 4500 bucks. He got a 80 dollar bottle of whiskey for that.

would I tip him when I hire him normally? No. But if I get myself into hot water again your damn right he will remember that whiskey and I might get better help