Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are we worried yet about Tesla Stock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or the analysts will go to costco to get their AA and AAA batteries and compare to GF. They don't need any C or Ds...

The good news is though, is that one day a lot of analysts are going to wake up and finally realize that TSLA is not just a car company--and that Tesla Energy probably has far more potential than Tesla Motors could ever dream of. I think it'll just take one spectacular ER on Tesla Energy, coupled with some equally impressive forward-thinking Tesla Energy statements.

Another 6% down this morning. I think I'm out.

As some of you older posters here remember, about three years ago we had a fellow on this forum who decided he really wanted a Model S, so he put everything he could into some TSLA stock. I could tell you his name; he's still here.

His daily post was, "Oh, no, it's down! What are we going to do? I should never have bought stock. I'll never get my car."

Time after time people would talk him down, encourage, reassure that the stock would go up. After a while, they were telling him to stop posting, stop looking, just plain, "Quit it!" Hold on to what you have but quit watching. Some people can't watch. It's just not their personality type.

Short story longer, a year or two later, the stock shot up. He made big bucks on his long position, and ... he bought a Model S on the profits. A very happy man. I see him every now and then. I think he likes his S. I don't think he's doing much in TSLA, though.

If you leave now, Amped, you lose. Just shut your eyes, pretend you have amnesia for a year. It will get better. When you wake up, it will be all better.

By the bye, do you ever get over to see Rolf and Martina Lohr?

Expressing concern over the stock price = FUD agenda? Come on, you aren't that insecure are you? lol

The stock price is being pushed down by greedy shorts, most of whom have never had anything good to say about TSLA, or Tesla, most of whom push their vitriol on "Seeking Mediocrity", which is mostly a bear site at this point, they have also been burned on the way up. Many of them come here to try and convince us the sky is falling, don't believe it for a second. Selling out at below the 52 week low is not a smart decision, and is panic selling.. Unless you need the money short term, your better off weathering the storm, or buying more. I have been in this stock for over 4 years now, I've seen it all, as I said "nothing to see here, move along you looky louies"

I think the writing was on the wall when Jerome cashed himself out, and left the company. Anytime somebody that is that competent suddenly leaves without explanation, there is a problem.

Moderator Note:
Some posts disparaging the OP for bringing up this subject removed to Snippiness.

I think I'll re-invent my Forum handle to "Lord Vetinari". Or maybe my sub-tag.

As some of you older posters here remember, about three years ago we had a fellow on this forum who decided he really wanted a Model S, so he put everything he could into some TSLA stock. I could tell you his name; he's still here.

His daily post was, "Oh, no, it's down! What are we going to do? I should never have bought stock. I'll never get my car."

Time after time people would talk him down, encourage, reassure that the stock would go up. After a while, they were telling him to stop posting, stop looking, just plain, "Quit it!" Hold on to what you have but quit watching. Some people can't watch. It's just not their personality type.

Short story longer, a year or two later, the stock shot up. He made big bucks on his long position, and ... he bought a Model S on the profits. A very happy man. I see him every now and then. I think he likes his S. I don't think he's doing much in TSLA, though.

If you leave now, Amped, you lose. Just shut your eyes, pretend you have amnesia for a year. It will get better. When you wake up, it will be all better.

By the bye, do you ever get over to see Rolf and Martina Lohr?

I need this discipline of not looking... it's hard for me

The stock price is being pushed down by greedy shorts, most of whom have never had anything good to say about TSLA, or Tesla, most of whom push their vitriol on "Seeking Mediocrity", which is mostly a bear site at this point, they have also been burned on the way up. Many of them come here to try and convince us the sky is falling, don't believe it for a second.
A touch paranoid. TSLA is subject to market forces. There is no vast conspiracy to gerrymander the stock. Greed drives all market decisions and is the engine of the stock market. It's a good thing.

I think the writing was on the wall when Jerome cashed himself out, and left the company. Anytime somebody that is that competent suddenly leaves without explanation, there is a problem.
I tend to agree. It's interesting that his LinkedIn page still lists "on sabbatical until January 2016". But it seems obvious that he isn't coming back and that's a bad sign.

Is it though? It's not like his position isn't filled lol

Jerome's position as VP of Sales & Marketing has been filled, but not his role as customer advocate and the guy who "makes things right" at Tesla for owners who are banging their heads against the wall with certain service issues. That role has not been filled, and arguably, is a role that Tesla very much needs judging by some of the sentiment in the fora. But this is a stock thread... :)

The entire market is down. Most stocks are down from their highs of a few months ago. TSLA isn't alone, and it isn't a reflection on how well Tesla is doing. A rising tide lifts all boats, we are now seeing the tide recede.

Every time the stock went down in the past, people panicked and sold. When the stock rose, suddenly those low times looked like opportunities.

Guys! Have you seen the last video on Seeking Alpha about TM. It's starring Bob Lutz (I know...), but what he says makes sense (in my opinion) and it's really not good! I would like to know what you think about that!

I can't give a link to it, since the system filters out my comments, and the moderators don't enable them. But you can find it easily: On the Seeking Alpha search for TSLA, and it's the last one on the video tab (at least now). The title is: "Tesla's business model 'upside-down': Bob Lutz".

- - - Updated - - -

Or you can find it on CNBC's site too.

Guys! Have you seen the last video on Seeking Alpha about TM. It's starring Bob Lutz (I know...), but what he says makes sense (in my opinion) and it's really not good! I would like to know what you think about that!

I can't give a link to it, since the system filters out my comments, and the moderators don't enable them. But you can find it easily: On the Seeking Alpha search for TSLA, and it's the last one on the video tab (at least now). The title is: "Tesla's business model 'upside-down': Bob Lutz".

- - - Updated - - -

Or you can find it on CNBC's site too.

How does it make sense to you? Let's flesh it out.... his whole premise of why Tesla will fail is coming from two ends:

The Top Line: Tesla will not be able to sell electric cars because other OEM's HAVE to make money losing electric cars so that they can sell the customer big gas cars because that's what the customer wants. My counter point is, with that logic that means the other OEMs will make the electric cars just for regulatory purposes and have them sit on the lot (NOT A SALE) because customers will buy the more compelling gas vehicles. Sorry, but I'm not with stupid here.

The Bottom Line: Tesla's stores and "Dealership" network is capitally intensive. No it's absolutely not. The only thing that needs to be watched out for is SG&A. There's no middle man or third party reporting required for inefficiency. Everything is build to order. Commissions are negligible as well and it leads to a very lean manufacturing process for efficiency in the bottom line at the parent company level. Sorry buddy, the GM layer cake doesn't work and it never worked for GM hence why they went bankrupt so many times.

Overall, don't believe the hype downwards or too exuberantly upwards. These arguments were made in 2012, and it's now 2016. What compelling electric cars high price or low do you see on the roads right now? I'm livid watching that video so I'll stop it here.

I am a bit worried about Model X ramp, although I know the chance of it being totally under control is over 90%. But still, it worries me. I am only worried about the stock as a function of Model X, so if Model X is fine then the stock will be too.