Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Window Shims an Acceptable Fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of the MS in mid-January 2022. I just noticed a shim added to the rubber seal at the exterior driver's side window approximately above the door handle. Apparently, Tesla recognized an issue (rattle? wind noise? water?) and chose to use a shim to rectify it. I haven't experienced any of the possible problems they addressed so I assume their solution resolved it. However, this seems like a Mickey Mouse solution...or is it acceptable? It seems to be the same material as the seal, but I wonder if it will prove as durable or stay in place.

Interestingly, the driver and passenger doors had to be realigned after delivery and I wonder if that realignment actually would have fixed whatever the problem was. And I am concerned that if Tesla replaces the rubber seal with a wider one, it would negatively affect the window function.

What would you do? Should I leave well enough alone? Be on record?
IMG_3395.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: dark cloud
I took delivery of the MS in mid-January 2022. I just noticed a shim added to the rubber seal at the exterior driver's side window approximately above the door handle. Apparently, Tesla recognized an issue (rattle? wind noise? water?) and chose to use a shim to rectify it. I haven't experienced any of the possible problems they addressed so I assume their solution resolved it. However, this seems like a Mickey Mouse solution...or is it acceptable? It seems to be the same material as the seal, but I wonder if it will prove as durable or stay in place.

Interestingly, the driver and passenger doors had to be realigned after delivery and I wonder if that realignment actually would have fixed whatever the problem was. And I am concerned that if Tesla replaces the rubber seal with a wider one, it would negatively affect the window function.

What would you do? Should I leave well enough alone? Be on record?View attachment 803390
Not okay. Have them address the root cause.

Reactions: Jpandes and AMPd
If it is fixed, don't worry about it. This would be like finding the root cause to a paint defect they corrected prior to delivery. Maybe if I had a few shims, the water would not cascade down inside of my door. Please ship me yours.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Thanks. Now that I know that it's there, I too would always be annoyed to see a jerry-rigged solution to an unknown problem. Tesla now confirmed that it is willing to replace the piece that includes the rubber seal. Hopefully that won't reveal the original issue that resulted in the unacceptable shim solution..

And there is not one on the passenger side?
Tesla has a history of shipping the car as is and fixing it later (if the customer complains), as you have observed with your door misalignment. So for them to recognize an issue with the car and inserting some shim before shipping seems to assume they somehow test drive the car before shipping, which would indicate some measure of quality control? (That is what they should be doing as they are now profitable and quality should take more importance than delivering as many as possible just before the end of the quarter.)

I'm guessing a batch of door seals did not arrive in time for delivery, and they fudged some older in stock seals fitted for single pane glass, as DerbyDave alluded to? Not sure if the thicknesses are different. Strange indeed.

To satisfy everyone's curiousity, maybe you could be convinced to remove it just before the appointment to get a new one, and see if the window still seats properly, and if there is any wind noise?

• Helpful
Reactions: Mr. Jetson
I suspect all of the new Model S may have it. I checked all the seals on delivery and did not see any issues. Then yesterday after driving in the Seattle heat for the first time I noticed this piece of rubber (circled in red) had popped out of the gap circled in yellow. It was right at the gap, I just moved it to take the photo.

I was curious, and went and checked the passenger door. Sure enough it also has one, inside the seal (roll down the window and expand the seal from the open end of the door). It seems like the heat loosened the glue that held it in place and then it popped out when I opened the window at Starbucks drive through. I suspect yours also popped out, and other peoples will, or have already, and blew away. Only reason mine did not blow away is because I went straight home after Starbucks and did not go much over 25 mph. I am sure it would have blown away if I had gone faster and I would have been none the wiser.

Note: mine was not wedged in the seal, it was lying on top of the seal barely held in place by the stickiness of the glue. It came off very easy, which is why I am sure it would have blown off.

I do wonder it what it is supposed to do. I pushed it back inside, although I am sure it will pop out again.
IMG_8254.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
After a bit more investigation I have come to the conclusion it's there to push the glass against the inside seal. On our 2018 S the gap between trim rubber (which is thicker) and the glass is 2mm, on the 2022 S it's 7mm! Basically the fit on the new Model S is so bad they need to use hacks to seal the windows!

After a bit more investigation I have come to the conclusion it's there to push the glass against the inside seal. On our 2018 S the gap between trim rubber (which is thicker) and the glass is 2mm, on the 2022 S it's 7mm! Basically the fit on the new Model S is so bad they need to use hacks to seal the windows!
It is a cheap fix, Tesla should have made new window seals instead of using shims. Now there is a pressure point on the window instead of the pressure being distributed correctly. If you look closely you can see it

Attachments

• IMG_3395.jpeg
    IMG_3395.jpeg
    522.9 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: Mark II