Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are winter tires absolutely necessary for New England?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove my RWD Model S last winter on stock all seasons. Did just fine. Even went up to Sunday River during a snowstorm this past Feb with little issues. Some sliding on steeper inclines/declines, but if you have good driving instincts or experience with that, it's manageable.

Reactions: corduroy
Well I never drove an EV in New England but I always ran snow tires even with my Audi A4 Quattro - the difference in confidence and handling is tough to put into words other than Worth It! and also saves your nicer summer rims from the salt hell of winter roads..

We always ran winter snows vs summer tires on all of our cars; we were outside Boston about 20 miles so not even the boonies.. night and day...

The OEM tires really dont have a tread pattern that inspires confidence in winter conditions on an RWD car imo. That said, I'm undecided on what I want to do for this winter. There are probably 10-15 days during an Ohio winter that the added security of winter tires is really worth it. I may just hold off on buying anything this year and take my wifes SUV to work on those days, and replace the Michelin's with something a bit more aggressive when the time comes.

It really depends on your tolerance level for the roads. I drove an Audi A3 on all-seasons with no issues. And last winter, I drove my RWD S85 with all-seasons, only staying off the roads in the worst weather (but definitely remember to use Chill mode and low regen if there's anything other than rain on the road).

This winter, my P3D- will be on "just" the all-seasons, since I take the train, I highly doubt I'd have to be on the roads for the worst of the weather anyway.

If you absolutely have to be out there before the plows and salt trucks, or you live far enough away from the city where you might not have the best snow-clearing capabilities, I'd look into snow tires.

All seasons will work.

Winters will work measurably better (significantly shorter stopping distance among other safety reasons).

Ditto for the difference between AS tires and summer tires in all conditions above 40 degrees.

All seasons are called that because they're inferior, in all seasons, to dedicated tires.

It's not so much about the tires, but rather the competence of the driver.

From 1997-2004, I drove an old 1971 Plymouth Valiant, one of many old 1970's Chrysler cars I owned and worked on for many years. The body was rusted but the drivetrain was awesome. With an 8-1/4" axle and rebuilt 3.21 limited slip differential, and an old set of winter tires with the treads that went way out to the edge of the tires and made a 90 degree turn to the sidewall (the super chopper shredder tires, as I termed them), that car would go just about anywhere. Even up old muddy wet snowy dirt roads on hills. In snowstorms, it was fun to be first in line at an intersection where I was turning left, I'd just lock it in second gear, get the tires spinning on snow covered roads when the light turned, and just do a nice, slow, controlled sideways drift through the turn. All at a vehicle speed under maybe 20 mph or so.

Now you can't run bald tires in the winter and expect much to happen, but if you're crazy enough, you can get around. Way back in those days, my tires weren't considered "worn out" until I got down to the second layer of steel belts showing somewhere on the tire. Then they got changed, not for new tires, but for "good used, less worn out" tires.

It's not so much about the tires, but rather the competence of the driver.

No, it really is the tires.

Tire Test: All-Season vs. Snow vs. Summer

That's testing of summer vs all season vs winter in dry/warm, wet/warm, and wet/cold conditions.

The all seasons come in 2nd or 3rd place in virtrually every test, often an embarrassingly distant 2nd or 3rd too.

In snow for example it takes over sixty feet more distance to stop from 60 with all seasons vs snow tires.

In wet/warm the all seasons come in third for braking, again taking nearly 60 feet longer to stop from 60 than summer tires.

Driving skill doesn't beat physics.

Reactions: bd7349 and Msjulie
It really depends on your situation.

A snow storm starts to move in at 2PM.

Can you just leave work early before it gets bad or do you have to wait until 6PM at the peak of the storm?

Can you stay at home in the first place?

If can leave do you want the option to stay and not worry about the conditions when driving home?

Do you want to hit the ski slopes because it's snowing like crazy?

Is your driveway flat or hilly and winding?

Is your local street (often plowed last) on a hill?

Do you live near a low salt area?

There are bad enough conditions that even snow tires won't be enough.

I want flexibility and options and always get snow tires (extra rims and swap them myself).

If it saves one fender bender snow tires will more than pay for themselves especially on a Tesla.

I do want to get dedicated wheels/tires for winter. I'm waiting for autorimshop on ebay to sell refurbished stock 18" wheels so I can use my aero covers year round. I'm cool living with the all seasons this year. Hopefully will have a spare set next winter.

Planning on stock tires for the winter. I am on the coast north of Boston so there will be 4 -8 days this winter that I should not be on the road and I am not going to be on the road.. Been doing that for a few years now, really good move for my well being. I am more scared of the SUV's barreling along with no clue than a snow storm.

I do want to get dedicated wheels/tires for winter. I'm waiting for autorimshop on ebay to sell refurbished stock 18" wheels so I can use my aero covers year round. I'm cool living with the all seasons this year. Hopefully will have a spare set next winter.

There are sets of Aero take-offs on Ebay and this site constantly.

I picked up a set for about $1200.00 (TPMS included varies)

The tires alone are worth $1100.00 so it ends up essentially a free set of wheels.
Assuming you can use the tires in the future (if not sell them)