Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are winter tires necessary with the long range dual motor AWD?

Are winter snow sires with AWD Model 3 needed?

• I am comfortable with the stock tires handling in the snow.

Votes: 40 23.1%
  • I am NOT comfortable with the stock tires handling in the snow.

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • I have experience driving in snow with and without snow tires feel the snow tires are worth it.

Votes: 106 61.3%
  • I have experience driving in snow with and without snow tires feel the snow tires NOT worth it.

Votes: 15 8.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the tire shops at costco are open for anyone.
Just looked and some tires are marked "Member Only", so that implies that the ones not marked are open for non-Members, though there's no mention of the 5% surcharge.

Like the Pilot Sport 4S is member only, while the CrossClimate+ is not.

Did you take your Tesla to the Danvers store? Do they need pucks or are they expert at Model 3 by now?

Obviously for a large purchase, it makes sense to just become a member and avoid the 5% surcharge.

Last edited:
Actually, the XL designation means that the specified load index is achieved at 41psi instead of the regular 35psi. The weight rating is specified by the load index, such as 96 or 98.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/load-range-load-index
Actually this raises a good question: should winter tire inflation be lower than the OEM Michelin Pilot all seasons? I just got Michelin X-ice winter tires installed this weekend and they're currently running at about 41psi. I normally inflate my all seasons to 44-45 psi. (Unrelated, the X-ice tires are surprisingly a lot quieter than the Pilots.)

Actually this raises a good question: should winter tire inflation be lower than the OEM Michelin Pilot all seasons? I just got Michelin X-ice winter tires installed this weekend and they're currently running at about 41psi. I normally inflate my all seasons to 44-45 psi. (Unrelated, the X-ice tires are surprisingly a lot quieter than the Pilots.)

Interestingly, I've also just switched from a set of summer wheels and tires (PSS's) to X-Ice's.
Since the vehicle weight doesn't change, and assuming the tire load ratings are the same, then the tire pressures should also stay the same.

It gets a tad more complicated if you switch between different wheel+tire diameters, and tires with significantly different load ratings. In that case, you would have to account for varying tire air volume areas and tire sidewall strength.

The exact # is not all that critical.
You can experiment +/- 1-5 psi, and see what works best for you. I remember reading Elon/Tesla recommendation for ~39 psi for max comfort, and 45 psi for max range.

Max tire pressure rating for X-Ice's is 50 psi, so staying at 42-45 psi is a very good starting target.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=X-Ice+Xi3&partnum=345HR8XI3XL

I inflated my winter tires to 45 psi each, expecting actual operating pressures to decrease towards 42 psi once the temperatures drop further throughout the winter season.

HTH,
a

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: kpedraja
I picked up my brand new model 3 lr on the day of snow storm back in Feb.
Snow was 35cm high on the road. Bus were cancelled and no school day.
I was plowing thru the snow with ease. Stock all season michelin tires.

At first I doubt it can handle it... but after 10 -15 min of driving.. ~30-40 km/hr. I am confident dual motor can handle winter in stock all season tires.

Reactions: T4M3
At first I doubt it can handle it... but after 10 -15 min of driving.. ~30-40 km/hr. I am confident dual motor can handle winter in stock all season tires.

Cool.
I trust we'll see you on the news.
'cause laws of physics don't apply to Teslas...

winter-tyres-2.jpg

Depends on where you live. If I would live in WI or MN, I would get Winter tires for sure, but not here in NC where we rarely get snow and if we do indeed get heavy snow, everything shuts down quickly anyways :)
Oh of course, thou I said model 3 lr can handle winter with only all season tires, but I recommend winter tires. I had no choice when I first picked up my Tesla during a snowstorm but I was impressed by the dual motor.

Reactions: tm1v2
I live in Minnesota and have had no issues using all season tires year round on heavy AWD cars and SUVs BUT I choose tires based on how well they handle snow and ice. Currently using Vredistien Quatracs on the model Y and will be replacing the stock Hankooks on the model 3 with Michelin Cross Climate 2's before the snow flies this winter.

On FWD or RWD cars I do use dedicated snows, and yes they are better than the best snow handling all seasons. I've just found that some all seasons are good enough. If conditions are very icy I just don't don't drive. If you live somehwere that has frequent heavy snow and/or ice storms or if you need to be able to drive no matter what the conditions you should consider dedicated winter tires even on your AWD.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and XPsionic
I've been through 3 winters with my AWD model 3 and the stock tires are fine. I've never owned winter tires with any vehicle and I find this car to be the best in snow that I've ever had. My father taught me an amazing concept to just SLOW DOWN on the snow/ice. My model 3 gets up my steep driveway in several inches of snow without a problem(and without snow tires).

I live in Canada, north of Toronto. We get our first snowfall in November each year, and the last snowfall usually in April. That's 5 months of potentially snowy conditions. Make the investment and buy the snow tires. It's 100% worth it and even though the Tesla is heavy and AWD... the tires make a big difference.

Reactions: phishphan
It's funny how often this question comes up. Let's ask the opposite - are summer tires needed in the summer or can I drive on my dedicated winters all year round? The answer is the same. Sure you can get by and get from A to B but its far from ideal and is a compromise to safety of not only yourself but those around you. The wrong tire will affect your stopping distance in a panic situation and a foot can make a difference. Buy the right tire.