Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are XL Load Tires Mandatory? (Blizzak WS-90 vs. X-Ice Xi3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone confirm if XL load tires are a mandatory requirement with the Model 3?

I have the 18 inch Aero wheels and plan on swapping the summers that came with the car with 235/45R18XL winter tires and then buying new summer rims after this winter.

I'm in the market for winter tires and I have used Blizzak's on my last car, specifically the WS-80 model. I loved them, they were great, did wear a bit quicker than expected but excellent tires. Sadden to find out they are not made in 235/45R18XL, however the new WS-90 model that just came out this year does come in 235/45R18 with a load index of 94 but not XL.

Is the WS-90 an option I should be considering? The other option I am thinking of is the the MICHELIN X-ICE XI3 which does come in an XL load (load Index of 98), but I'd prefer new tech and Bridgestone hasn't let me down.

Thoughts?

Load 94 means 1477 lbs per tire, max, at max pressure. That means with a 4000 lb model 3 you'd have 1908 lbs of cargo capacity at max tire pressure, assuming 50/50 weight split (not sure what the model 3 is). Or, nearly 4x 500 lb people. Or somewhat less if you put a ton of weight in the trunk since weight would be rear biased.

I think this is more important for pickups and SUVs where people may load up the bed with stones or something, and they need to be aware of how much they can carry.

I think if the car is just a daily driver with you and a +1, you're probably fine with the 94. But the safe thing is always to use the manufacturer requirement.

How to read speed rating and load index | TireBuyer.com

• Helpful
Reactions: go2realize
Load 94 means 1477 lbs per tire, max, at max pressure. That means with a 4000 lb model 3 you'd have 1908 lbs of cargo capacity at max tire pressure, assuming 50/50 weight split (not sure what the model 3 is). Or, nearly 4x 500 lb people. Or somewhat less if you put a ton of weight in the trunk since weight would be rear biased.

I think this is more important for pickups and SUVs where people may load up the bed with stones or something, and they need to be aware of how much they can carry.

I think if the car is just a daily driver with you and a +1, you're probably fine with the 94. But the safe thing is always to use the manufacturer requirement.

How to read speed rating and load index | TireBuyer.com
Thanks for the advice and explanation, makes sense!

I ran 94s on an old Acura against the manufacturer’s recommendation of 98, using the same weight logic as above. However, this discounts the handing hit—it was very noticeable in that old car and I regretted getting those tires. I guess the weaker sidewalls flexed more during cornering...

I personally will go with the 98 load rated Xices this year on our Model 3 and see how it goes...

I just put on XL rated X-ice tires this week and can already tell how squirmy they are compared with the stock MXM4s. I cannot imagine driving a Model 3 with lower than stock load rating - it would handle horribly.

I just put on XL rated X-ice tires this week and can already tell how squirmy they are compared with the stock MXM4s. I cannot imagine driving a Model 3 with lower than stock load rating - it would handle horribly.
I think the 100 rating is higher than the stock load with the blizzak was 90 245/45 r18 or the 235/50 r18. I think that both should fit after reading the forums for like an hour. Although the higher side wall ratio would probably make them more squirmy and handle worse. Although the slightly higher load rating may mean stiffer sidewall to make up for it. I’m not sure the effect of the sidewall on rolling resistance. If anyone could educate me on that or point me somewhere I be most appreciative .

I’ve been looking for hours for the rolling resistance or fuel consumption / efficiency of the blizzak ws90 ... anyone know where I can get that data by any chance ?

It’s the blizzak ws90 vs the Michelin xice3 at the current time for me. The blizzak seems to be technically better in the snow and ice as the newer tire but they don’t make a 235/45 r18 with a XL load rating so would have to go with alternative width or aspect ratio in order to use the WS90 as noted above . The Michelin are low resistance rated and they were a few (3?) percentage points more efficient than the WS 70 but the WS 80 is suppose to be more efficient than the 70 and there is no mention I can find on the internet if the WS90 is more efficient. Internet research is hard for this topic ! Thanks for all those whom have debated what to do online so far it has been helpful.

Continental VikingContact 7 appear to be far superior in icy conditions and are available on TireRack with Model 3 compatible load ratings.
Continental VikingContact 7 test ans review of the Continental ContiVikingContact 7 | AllTyreTests.com

My reason for this is that it is easy to predict when there's snow on the road, but very difficult to predict when an underlying layer of ice is the primary factor in contributing to traction.

I want a tire to be the best during the worst winter conditions; and that is black ice.

Reactions: ChinHo
I ended up going with the X-Ice just like you. I've only had them on for a day or so but I love them, they are legitimately quieter than the stock wheels. A bit surprised at the tread depth when I picked them up, they are very slim, is so much smaller than my previous Blizzaks.

Continental VikingContact 7 appear to be far superior in icy conditions and are available on TireRack with Model 3 compatible load ratings.
Continental VikingContact 7 test ans review of the Continental ContiVikingContact 7 | AllTyreTests.com

My reason for this is that it is easy to predict when there's snow on the road, but very difficult to predict when an underlying layer of ice is the primary factor in contributing to traction.

I want a tire to be the best during the worst winter conditions; and that is black ice.
If only I saw these results a couple of weeks ago I would have totally considered buying the continental. Although they are competing to the older blizzak ws80 the price point if I remember correctly was better than the xice3

EV = Torque monster. Low index tires = rubber streaks behind you at every stop light.

I was concerned about the higher index wintertires, but after extensive reading (and then driving with them last winter) they are the right tire.

Unrelated, I wouldn't get blizzaks unless you are in a place that doesn't salt roads and it snows a LOT. They are the BEST tire in deep snow, but that usually only happens in parking lots or way off the beaten path where you may end up stuck, but alive. On the highway, stopping distances on dry pavement are considerably worse and that is much more likely to be a problem in most cities IMHO. I went with the Sotozeros that tesla recommended and they really are the right tire for the car (and last year they were the cheapest tire/rim package available!). Good enough in the snow in all but the worst storms (the once a couple year storms) and fantastic in slush/ice/wet/dry in the city and hwy after salt is laid down. I'm in southern ontario.