Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you a creeper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Creep mode makes the car behave more like an automatic I believe so from stationary if you take your feet off the pedals the car will move forward slowly. I'd like to know -
- If creep will move the car forward if on a slight incline?
- With creep on and a steep incline will the car roll backward (assuming vehicle hold is not on)?
- When decelerating on a flat road with neither pedal pressed and creep ON will the car come to a complete stop eventually?
- When decelerating on a flat road with neither pedal pressed and creep OFF will the car come to a complete stop eventually?

When decelerating on a flat road with neither pedal pressed and creep OFF will the car come to a complete stop eventually?

I can probably test all of these for you if nobody jumps in first. I can answer this one now though - the car will not come to a complete stop when you take your foot off the accelerator even with creep off.

We have creep off and the regenerative braking will slow the car to around 3mph. It doesn't seem to stop the car entirely.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricJoules
Answers from my Model S 75D - don't see why they'd be materially different for other cars but the scale of effects might vary for lighter / more powerful variants:
- If creep will move the car forward if on a slight incline?
Yes. But the incline has to be very slight. My driveway is ever so slightly inclined - 1 in 20 maybe? - and the car will creep up it once brake hold is disengaged. It will not creep up the 1 in 10ish road exit to the main road 1/2 mile away...
- With creep on and a steep incline will the car roll backward (assuming vehicle hold is not on)?
Yes, or at least slightly. I've had it roll back a little on the 1-in-10 road exit mentioned above - enough to cause me to panic-jump on the brake pedal!
- When decelerating on a flat road with neither pedal pressed and creep ON will the car come to a complete stop eventually?
No. My experience is that the car will slow down under Regen to about 5 MPH, then maintain that speed until the brakes are applied.
- When decelerating on a flat road with neither pedal pressed and creep OFF will the car come to a complete stop eventually?
I have not tested this because I've never disabled creep. I suspect it would stop, eventually, but the roll-out for the final 5MPH would take a long time (as regen is disabled at this speed)

Thanks for those answers guys. Kind of what I was expecting apart from the not rolling to a halt on flat road with creep off. I'd assumed with no torque from the motor then friction would bring the car to a halt on the flat.
If all goes well I'll be able to play with this myself tomorrow if all goes well :)

I've always meant to ask this, but why would you switch creep off? I've heard that off is the recommended setting but it seems to me that in slow traffic it's easier to have creep on and lift off/ press the brake than it is to have to press the accelerator and switch back to the brake? I'm sure it's personal preference, but assume there is a reason for recommending it's normally off?

I've always meant to ask this, but why would you switch creep off? I've heard that off is the recommended setting but it seems to me that in slow traffic it's easier to have creep on and lift off/ press the brake than it is to have to press the accelerator and switch back to the brake? I'm sure it's personal preference, but assume there is a reason for recommending it's normally off?

First week I had my first automatic it crept into the back of another car at a roundabout as I wasn't expecting it to keep moving after I've stopped. I turn creep off when I have the option so I don't have to remember which car I'm in and whether it is going to keep moving after I've brought it to a stop. I'd rather it only moved when I told it to.

Random question - when lifting off the accelerator, do the brake lights come on as the regen slows things down?

Reason I ask is my current ICE has a lot of compression and slows down quite quickly when lifting off the accelerator, I tend to dab the brakes if there is a car behind to indicate that I am slowing as it looks a bit weird scrubbing off a lot of speed without the brake lights coming on.

Random question - when lifting off the accelerator, do the brake lights come on as the regen slows things down
Yes, definitely. I read a while ago that the brake light is triggered by an accelerometer, not by a switch, so the brake lights come on as soon as the car slows down, whether that’s due to deceleration/regen, braking, or a tree ;)

I'd have to try all the settings when I get it. I used to hate hold brake, but recently warmed to using it.

I can see how it can be annoying to keep applying acceleration in traffic. I've been behind a tesla that kept braking and stopping 2 car lengths away from the car in front in standstill traffic and it's really annoying.

So possibly will use hold brake in combination with creep. As it's hard to have it moving really slow and steady in slow traffic.

I'd guess degree of regen rather than an accelerometer triggers brake lights just to keep things as simple as possible. Unless there are other uses for an accelerometer.

It might be fun to connect a multi-tone generator to the rear lights to avoid the distraction of peering at the dash display while driving. Enquiring minds need to know just what is going on back there. :rolleyes:
--

2cz1Hm4

Soon, you will be that Tesla :D

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.

I feel like I have better control of the car at low speed with creep off. The car stays put in vehicle hold until I use the accelerator, and drifts in a predictable fashion until I brake.

Try it for a while both ways and see what makes you happy. I don't think there's a wrong answer.

I was thinking other way round, why would u keep it ON? Autopilot is there for Slow traffic. With OFF, ur feet spend very few time on the break than ON.

coming from a ICE Audi S4 B9 2018, and previous Auto's in the last 3 years never felt the need for creep. Car stops and holds with standard electronic auto-hold no need to hold the foot brake. Smash the accelerator pedal to go :)

One of the first things I did when I got into the car was turn Creep Off, howeer the car does not come to a full stop so it's not "full" one pedal driving. The car will slow to a crawl (potentially sub-crawl) leaving you to tap the brakes to come to a complete stop.