Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you a SpaceX shareholder? If so, we need your help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveT

Searcher of green pastures
Nov 15, 2012
Texas
If you're a SpaceX shareholder, we'd like to ask you some questions to help us understand what it's like holding stock in a private company (or via a special purpose fund) since this could help us gain insight on what it might be like holding TSLA stock in a similar manner.

As a SpaceX shareholder:

1. How do the liquidity events every 6 months work? By when do you need to express your intent to sell shares? And are you given a price beforehand or later? Can you sell as much as you want?

2. How long is the selling of shares process take?

3. How often are you updated regarding the valuation of SpaceX and by what means?

4. Is any guidance given to you regarding revenue or profit goals? How about valuation goals or valuation timeline?

5. Are you able to buy more shares if you want? If so, how? Is there a minimum?

If you're a SpaceX shareholder, we'd like to ask you some questions to help us understand what it's like holding stock in a private company (or via a special purpose fund) since this could help us gain insight on what it might be like holding TSLA stock in a similar manner.

As a SpaceX shareholder:

1. How do the liquidity events every 6 months work? By when do you need to express your intent to sell shares? And are you given a price beforehand or later? Can you sell as much as you want?

2. How long is the selling of shares process take?

3. How often are you updated regarding the valuation of SpaceX and by what means?

4. Is any guidance given to you regarding revenue or profit goals? How about valuation goals or valuation timeline?

5. Are you able to buy more shares if you want? If so, how? Is there a minimum?

Great post.
Question 5 is what I am interested to know. Elon's email mentioned both selling and buying will be allowed during Tesla's liquidity events. I always thought buying is limited to certain institutional shareholders at SpaceX. Since all the shareholders on private Tesla are hardcore Tesla fans, and we no longer have shorts and FUD, I imagine TSLA's price would be significantly higher during liquidity events.

Reactions: kelevra and neroden
Does anyone know what exactly Elon meant by: "Would create special purpose fund enabling anyone to stay with Tesla. Already do this with Fidelity’s SpaceX investment."
Would love to invest in SpaceX but found only Fidelity funds which have about 1% SpaceX in their portfolio. Is there a way to invest in SpaceX when you are not an employee or accredited investor?

Reactions: preilly44
Not a SpaceX shareholder but I remember that
Great thread and hope some actual responses turn up. Remeber that we discussed much of this a few years back:

SpaceX investor's thread

Not a SpaceX shareholder but I remember seriously looking into how to get in back when that thread existed. I remember at the time I found a "secondary markets" website for private markets that suggested they could facilitate bespoke one-on-one transactions with holders.

This seems to be the current google hit for something similar today that advertises SpaceX on their list https://equidateinc.com/
- Accredited investors only ($1mm net worth excluding residence or $200k income)
- "As a baseline, each side of the transaction incurs a 5% fee"
- Probably US investors only?

Regarding Elon's special purpose Fidelity fund, here's all the current holders of SpaceX I can find after some digging... none of which sound like they provide clean (concentrated) exposure to SpaceX:

Fidelity Contrafund
Fidelity Growth Company Fund
Fidelity OTC Portfolio
Fidelity Blue Chip Growth Fund
Fidelity Advisor New Insights Fund
Fidelity Mid-Cap Stock Fund
Fidelity Series Growth Company Fund
Fidelity New Millenium Fund
Fidelity Series Blue Chip Growth Fund
Fidelity Series Opportunistic Insights Fund
Fidelity Advisor Series Opportunistic Insights Fund
Baron Partners Fund