TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Are you also investing in Tesla?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Fr23shjive, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Fr23shjive

Fr23shjive Member

I know we have a bunch of Tesla enthusiasts on here but are you guys also putting your money in the company so that when/if it becomes the #1 car company you'll be cashing in too.

So are you investing in Tesla and where do you think this stock will be in 3 years?

2. roblab

roblab Active Member

Today there was an increase in stock price of a little over 14%. Not bad for a day. One of the best days in weeks. No telling about tomorrow, but sooner or later, people are going to "get it" and jump on the bandwagon while the jumping is good. Tesla is going where no car has gone before, and you know they will make it.
    Of course, I invested. I support the concept of electrics, I know we are in exit mode on cheap energy, and if all else fails and Tesla folds and you lose your money, you know the banks will not be far behind and you'd lose it anyway. In the interim, I'd rather Tesla has it than the banks.

3. dwegmull

dwegmull 2013 Model S 85

As a Roadster owner, I was offered the opportunity to buy 500 "friends and family" shares at the IPO price. I did buy them. I don't have a feel for the proportion of owners who took advantage of that offer.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#4 TEG, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  5. roblab

roblab Active Member

Maybe so, TEG, but there was no similar jump when Toyota jumped in, NUMMI was finalized, or when Mercedes bought in.
    I think it's just the snowball slowly rolling, collecting more speed and size. People are beginning to know "Tesla", what they do, about the car. Some people. Just today a Dr. asked me if I had invested in Tesla. Of course! And so had he. And it wasn't because of the battery deal.

6. Fr23shjive

Fr23shjive Member

Conference call at 2pm PT. Are you guys tuning in?

Should be interesting to hear where they're at and if every thing is on schedule for 2012.

7. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Elon mentioned that the model s is still on schedule.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Listening to it now. I don't listen to many earnings reports so this is interesting.
    He did say 'mid 2012 with a ramp up in production in the last half of 2012' (this is from memory so may not be exactly correct). This would seem to indicate it's been pushed back from early 2012 I was told months ago for Signature reservation holders but consistent with what they've said recently.

9. Fr23shjive

Fr23shjive Member

Yeah, that’s what I remember also. As long as it doesn’t get pushed back anymore then it shouldn’t be too much of a problem but with them losing $30 million a quarter they can’t afford too many more delays.

One thing that I’m really interested in is how much they'll be making off of each Model S and how many they need to sell in order to operate comfortably. I know they said their first year goal is 20k but I’m curious to know where that positions them if they achieve that goal. Personally I think they'll be able to crush the 20k goal. If people are even half as enthusiastic about the cars as I am they'll be selling like hot cakes.

10. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Hrm, I heard 80 KW direct-DC charging available at time of launch. Wasn't clear if it was proprietary. The default Model S pack is 70 KWh and estimated charge time is 45 minutes from near-empty to near-full.

11. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I'm not sure that TM will ever officially disclose this...think about the ICE world for a moment...does any car manufacturer ever disclose their profit margin on a per model basis? I can't see how disclosing their profit margin / model would be beneficial to TM in any way.

12. dsm363

My question is who will deploy these? If they only work with the Model S and Tesla deploys these, I don't think there will be enough of them. If they somehow use the J1772 connector that can be used with the Leaf and other upcoming cars, it may work better.

13. jasonhi

jasonhi Roadster 2.5 #1135

#14 jasonhi, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
    From their 3rd quarter results (http://ir.teslamotors.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=528807):

Revenue / Automobile sales: $23,350,000
    Cost of revenues / Automobile sales: $19,457,000

So it looks like the Roadster has a "profit-margin" of 17%, at least as they have accounted for costs. Of course it is way more complicated than that, as some portion of costs in "sales, general and administrative" are going to be directly connected to those sales, but it was interesting to see that number when I read the earnings report.

BTW Jaff -- someone in Seattle is getting a white sport (sitting in the store the last two day). It looks REALLY good. I'm assuming based on your picture that yours will be white. That was my second choice color, but I thought it needed the carbon fiber body package to look best, and couldn't justify the added expense. It looks great in all white it turns out. I'm going to love the radient red. It may be the most common color, but Roadster's are so uncommon anyway!

14. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Thanks for the info Jason...I had the same dilemma as you...I was sold on the Fusion Red with the upgraded rims in silver...then I test drove the new Arctic White & CF 2.5 that the Toronto store received and that vixen Roadster flat out seduced me! :biggrin:

Yes, without the CF accents, the white loses some of its appeal to me as well...agree, the Roadster is an eye-catcher in any colour configuration imo.

You are of course correct in your quoted figures from TM's financials...public company, public knowledge...I guess I was referring more to an actual statement / press release from TM diclosing their profit margins / vehicle was unlikely. :wink:

15. Fr23shjive

Fr23shjive Member

Shares jumped approx 20% today on lower than expected losses. Imagine how the stock is going to perform once they actually start selling the Model S.

16. jasonhi

jasonhi Roadster 2.5 #1135

Fun decisions to have to make! (on color).

I didn't meant to sound like I was disagreeing with you.... I don't think manufacturers disclose profit margins on models. It just so happens that with only one model it looks like we can infer some of the numbers for now (and since the company is public). I probably should have replied to Fr23shjive's post :).

17. roblab

roblab Active Member

18. dsm363

I went through the same decision between fusion or Radiant Red or white. The car looks amazing in Red but decided to get the white with CF too. Glad it looks cool as well. Either way, it's still a Tesla Roadster so I'm sure I'll be happy. Waiting for delivery is tough!

19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator