Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you also investing in Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the advantages that prismatic batteries have over cylindrical batteries and vice versa?

The cylindrical LiCo cells that Tesla uses have high density, and since they are commodity cells the price is low. They are a more volatile chemistry than the LiFePO4 prismatic cells and more sensitive to temperatures so engineering is more complex and energy needs to be expended coddling them. The larger prismatics are, well, larger and you don't need as many, so fewer connections, faster pack assembly, and less of the aforementioned climate control. Constructing a pack of fewer, larger prismatics is much simpler than thousands of small cylindrical cells, with fewer potential failure points. There are trade offs with both systems but I think fewer larger cells make more sense for most vehicles, and is the way that Nissan and GM have gone.

The cylindrical LiCo cells that Tesla uses have high density, and since they are commodity cells the price is low. They are a more volatile chemistry than the LiFePO4 prismatic cells and more sensitive to temperatures so engineering is more complex and energy needs to be expended coddling them. The larger prismatics are, well, larger and you don't need as many, so fewer connections, faster pack assembly, and less of the aforementioned climate control. Constructing a pack of fewer, larger prismatics is much simpler than thousands of small cylindrical cells, with fewer potential failure points. There are trade offs with both systems but I think fewer larger cells make more sense for most vehicles, and is the way that Nissan and GM have gone.

I was reading something online about prismatic batteries having better power density and cylindrical batteries having better energy density. Apparently because cylindrical are more energy dense they are able to provide more range, where prismatic provides more power.

Is that accurate? Even if it is, Tesla still has the advantage in both departments and will continue to until the other automakers improve their battery technology.

I was reading something online about prismatic batteries having better power density and cylindrical batteries having better energy density. Apparently because cylindrical are more energy dense they are able to provide more range, where prismatic provides more power.

Is that accurate? Even if it is, Tesla still has the advantage in both departments and will continue to until the other automakers improve their battery technology.
Tesla does have that advantage but I don't know about assembled pack costs and cycle life, which is also important. A less dense but cheaper and longer lived pack could be a better choice.

JPMorgan said it’s bullish on Tesla after recently touring the company’s facilities and reiterated its “overweight” rating on the stock with a $30 price target, implying substantial upside from where the shares currently trade. The bank said Tesla shares have the potential to reach $40-$50 over the next three years.

http://www.tickerspy.com/newswire/?p=3931

Sounds like this top analyst from JP morgan is convinced of Tesla's success.

Irrelevant, IMHO. Analyze the company, not the pundits. If you believe Tesla is going to perform with the Model S, then put in your bet.

But then this type of opinion coming out can be a good thing for people who want to get into the stock now... as long as it can convince enough people to sell or short the stock. Much better to get in at 24 now than 35 a few weeks ago. And better still if the pundits can help drive it back down to 14. Then it really might be a steal!

... at least in terms of its stock price, which has been on the rise – and if you accept the reasoning of a J.P. Morgan analyst, could go a lot higher. Like, to $50 per share, yielding a near $5 billion market cap.

I think that the JP analysis is modestly pricing the stock based solely on earnings. I think once the Model S really starts selling the herd mentality will kick in and people will push the price up much higher.

Last edited:
buying teslas share is more like buying stockoptions. if tesla is successful the share will skyrocked , if not they get burst.

But one important difference -- before Tesla ever went bust, it would likely be bought out though not likely at a premium if Model S is not successful. So kind of like an option where at least you get some of your money back :)