Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you as worried as I was?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you worried about your order? Are you wondering if the delivery dates will ever settle down to a firm commitment? Are you worried about having everything lined up before delivery? Are you worried that there will be a bunch of things wrong with your car? Are you worrying about all the issues you read about here?

I was ........ primarily because I did tons and tons of research to see if I was crazy to want a Tesla. I concluded that I might be. BUT, the features of the car and the fact that Tesla owners love their cars more than any others outweighed all I read about quality control and customer service being terrible. So I decided to get one.

But I became more and more terrified as I read all the posts here.

If you are feeling anything similar, read on. I think you might be encouraged.

Test Drive: Nashville
  • Super easy to schedule - friendly SA reached out and confirmed
  • Tornado ruined the day of my appointment
  • Super easy to reschedule - SA was super accommodating
  • Test drive was awesome - SA was super helpful
Order: Tesla website
  • Total no-brainer
  • Easy peasy
  • No annoying salesperson trying to sell me something I didn’t want while pretending to be my friend
  • Don’t ever want to go to a dealership again
Waiting for delivery: Tesla Website
  • Checked the site every few minutes like everyone ...... at first ..... but slowed down after a while
  • First window was 6-10 weeks
  • Second window was a 4-week window
  • Window shifted once or twice and settled down to a one-week window
  • Spoke to my SA about all but a couple days in the window being blocked by other commitments on my schedule - SA was understanding
  • Got a text to schedule delivery in a 3-day window (one of which was open - yay)
  • Managed to squeeze it into a slot in my schedule (a little stressful, but no big deal)
  • Had another couple interactions with SA which went a little like this:
    • Sent him an email
    • No reply
    • Called him or sent another email
    • Instant reply
    • I’m okay with that. Sometimes that’s what you need to do to get a reply from me!
  • Ordered April 9 ............. Delivered May 2
Final pre-delivery items: Tesla Website
  • Registration - check
  • Trade-in - decent offer - check
  • Financing - decent interest rate (lower than my interest-bearing investments) - check
  • Final payment - a little dicey - but ...... check
    • I haven’t had a bank account since the ‘80s
    • All my funds are with a brokerage, and cash runs through a “Cash Management Account”
    • The CMA is tied to a bank in order to provide checking, but often doesn’t behave like a bank with online payment systems
    • Plaid was no exception ...... told me none of my accounts with the Bank handling the account were eligible (I wasn’t surprised)
    • Entered my Routing and Account numbers off my check manually - worked great - easy peasy
  • Insurance - uploaded proof - check
  • Loan Documents - eSignature - super easy - check
—————— Drumroll please———————

Delivery: Nashville
  • Arrived about 15 min early
  • Busy day, lots of customers standing around, checking out cars, talking to SAs
  • Walked around looking for car, but didn’t see it
  • SA spotted us and ran over to flag us down
  • Took us inside, did something on his computer, took us back out and showed us car
  • Left us alone with car for all the time we needed to check it out
  • I was so paranoid from reading this forum that I checked and checked and checked and followed the checklist and checked some more
  • All I could find was 4 minor cosmetic “flaws” that I never ever would have noticed for as long as I owned the car if I had not been sensitized by this forum
    • Front passenger window not flush (by maybe 6mm) - SA said “good catch” and helped me report it
    • Frunk very slightly (millimeters) off flush to right of badge
    • Front passenger door handle recessed maybe 2mm from flush (sheesh! 2mm!)
    • Dashboard trim at corner where pillar meets dashboard and windshield has gap (maybe 0.5in)
  • No kidding ....... I would never have noticed these items nor would I have cared
    • Made an appointment with service a couple weeks out ....... which was also super easy ......... but might not keep it ...........
    • The only real potential worry was the window because of wind noise or leak issues, but on the 150 mile ride home:
      • We drove at highway speed and all was quiet
      • It then rained on us for the second half and there was no leak
    • And for extra credit
      • No booming
      • No buffeting
      • No ear pain
      • Similar ..... possibly less noise than my trade-in Honda CR-V on bumpy roads
      • Much smoother and quieter than my CR-V on highways
  • Finished up a few documents related to trade-in, handed over the keys and title, and drove away in my new Tesla
  • So basically .......... for me ............THE CAR IS PERFECT ....... and my wife and I LOVE IT
  • And the experience of test driving, ordering, buying, and taking delivery was smooth, easy, and fuss-free. Loved that too.
So I just wanted everyone to hear my extremely positive experience ........ with every part of the process .......... every step of the way. And my guess is there are many others like me who haven’t posted their experience or just aren’t even here on the forum.

Yeah, what's up with these April orders where we are seeing order dates of people converge, but some people are getting it a month earlier than other people? Easy to say you're happy when you're literally getting the car a month earlier than people who ordered on the same day as you

Yeah, what's up with these April orders where we are seeing order dates of people converge, but some people are getting it a month earlier than other people? Easy to say you're happy when you're literally getting the car a month earlier than people who ordered on the same day as you

@captainreynold bear in mind that the vehicles are built in batches of same configuration (LR vs. P, paint color, interior color, rims, tow, fsd). Presumably they are then also shipped in batches by destination. So you need to wait first for an available build allocation for your config behind any other orders ahead of you for that config, and then wait for a shipping allocation to your area, and finally (probably least significant time component:) your delivery center's availability.

thanks for this. We are in the first half of your story....consider me a little less sensitized, and a little more excited after reading your account..

the SA being calm and accommodating made us want the car even more versus the usual pressure cooker....

edit: I take that back after seeing your order date/delivery date. And im now filled with jealous rage. Just kidding-mostly.

Last edited:
Looking forward to my delivery this Saturday. Hope it goes as smoothly. I am selling one of my cars to carvana 1.5 h after my delivery appt so hope that is enough time to go over the car and finish the paperwork.

seeing your dates and times and that its blue/white, I am wildly jealous of you as well. really is a stunning combo, cant wait for ours

(ordered a day before you technically)

LOL good luck.

• Funny
Reactions: Ericft
Glad everything went well for you. I'm feeling just as you had felt. When I read about wipers not coming on correctly, computer screens going blank or freezing, rear passengers can't adjust their seat heaters, side mirrors too small, random breaking poor fit and finish and many more issues plus no car play, no XM Sat radio (like a 1960's vintage car) it has made me hold off on pulling the trigger so far. I'm trying to decide if owners like it just because it is so cool tech even though it doesn't work well or like many sites mostly the small number of people that have problems post. Although lack of car play and Sat radio is just about a show stopper in this day and age.

When I read about wipers not coming on correctly, computer screens going blank or freezing, rear passengers can't adjust their seat heaters, side mirrors too small, random breaking poor fit and finish and many more issues plus no car play, no XM Sat radio (like a 1960's vintage car)
Yes. That is exactly what started freaking me out. And your list is incomplete. But I pushed through anyway. I truly believe the stories like mine far outweigh the problems reported here. Might explain consistently high rate of Tesla owners that love their vehicles.

Problem reporting, diagnosis, and collaboration on resolution here is very valuable. As well as being a safe place to vent. I’ll take advantage of it if necessary some day.

But not a good reason to hold off in my view. I’ll admit audio features are pretty irrelevant to me though ...... it’s more about driving and using the car to me ..... get my entertainment elsewhere. But that’s just me.

Yes. That is exactly what started freaking me out. And your list is incomplete. But I pushed through anyway. I truly believe the stories like mine far outweigh the problems reported here. Might explain consistently high rate of Tesla owners that love their vehicles.

Problem reporting, diagnosis, and collaboration on resolution here is very valuable. As well as being a safe place to vent. I’ll take advantage of it if necessary some day.

But not a good reason to hold off in my view. I’ll admit audio features are pretty irrelevant to me though ...... it’s more about driving and using the car to me ..... get my entertainment elsewhere. But that’s just me.
I agree I shouldn't get so hung up about radio; I've just gotten use to Sat radio in my old 2008 jeep wrangler. I know I can stream it from my phone, but it is a little less convenient especially changing stations. Around town it would likely be ok and I don't really see EV's being all that good for travel - too little real range, adds too much time charging, can't really go off the beaten path few if any chargers and chargers not under cover like gas pumps when it rains.

Okay - time for a little status report.

I’ve had the car a week.

Took a couple of mini “road trips”. One was our 100mi standard grocery shopping round trip. The other was a 300mi wedding anniversary getaway overnighter. Impressions:
  • Cleared out most (maybe all) of my “sure hope I didn’t make a big mistake” worries
  • Enjoyed the Supercharging experience
  • Absolutely loving the smooth, quiet ride ...... sound system ......... other cool features
  • Regen braking was an awesome tool in stupid Memphis freeway 75-15-75-0-75-25 mph stop and go traffic
Noticed the seat fold-down switches in trunk don’t work. Whatever. No big deal. Part on order, service appointment scheduled.

Found out car can’t pick up wifi signal - extender should be here tomorrow.

Installed most of my accessories:
  • Screen protector
  • Mud flaps
  • Console organizers
  • High speed usb storage

MS registration packet arrived via FedEx exactly as promised. Went to registration office today:
  • Handed pile of papers from envelope to clerk
  • She says “what make of car is this?”
  • I say “Tesla” (thinking to myself the word TESLA is plastered all over what I gave her)
  • She pauses ....... says “Hmmm .... first one I’ve ever registered” (I live pretty far out there)
  • Then she asks if it drives itself ...... and the other clerks all start paying attention
  • Rest of process is seamless
  • I write a real big check for taxes and fees. Not surprised ..... MS has a big ad valorem tax on vehicle registrations. Deductible.
Only registration hiccup is she warns me about a special extra $150 fee included to register an EV ($75 for a hybrid) ..... which I will pay every year. Seriously? Sheesh. Everyone in office laughed about it. I guess the state is ticked off at losing tax revenue from gas I won’t be buying. 🤷‍♂️

So still no reason for worrying. Either I’m lucky or this is the way it goes for most.

Okay - time for a little status report.

I’ve had the car a week.

Took a couple of mini “road trips”. One was our 100mi standard grocery shopping round trip. The other was a 300mi wedding anniversary getaway overnighter. Impressions:
  • Cleared out most (maybe all) of my “sure hope I didn’t make a big mistake” worries
  • Enjoyed the Supercharging experience
  • Absolutely loving the smooth, quiet ride ...... sound system ......... other cool features
  • Regen braking was an awesome tool in stupid Memphis freeway 75-15-75-0-75-25 mph stop and go traffic
Noticed the seat fold-down switches in trunk don’t work. Whatever. No big deal. Part on order, service appointment scheduled.

Found out car can’t pick up wifi signal - extender should be here tomorrow.

Installed most of my accessories:
  • Screen protector
  • Mud flaps
  • Console organizers
  • High speed usb storage

MS registration packet arrived via FedEx exactly as promised. Went to registration office today:
  • Handed pile of papers from envelope to clerk
  • She says “what make of car is this?”
  • I say “Tesla” (thinking to myself the word TESLA is plastered all over what I gave her)
  • She pauses ....... says “Hmmm .... first one I’ve ever registered” (I live pretty far out there)
  • Then she asks if it drives itself ...... and the other clerks all start paying attention
  • Rest of process is seamless
  • I write a real big check for taxes and fees. Not surprised ..... MS has a big ad valorem tax on vehicle registrations. Deductible.
Only registration hiccup is she warns me about a special extra $150 fee included to register an EV ($75 for a hybrid) ..... which I will pay every year. Seriously? Sheesh. Everyone in office laughed about it. I guess the state is ticked off at losing tax revenue from gas I won’t be buying. 🤷‍♂️

So still no reason for worrying. Either I’m lucky or this is the way it goes for most.
I feel like I am in the same boat at you were. I literally had my finger hovering over the pay now button last night for my Y and chickened out. I haven’t gotten a new car in ten years so it seems hard to pull the trigger,although my 10yr old car will have a new home with my niece soon. Maybe it’s the ordering online thing that is freaking me out,I don’t know. I keep thinking I should wait until the Knoxville service center opens so I can do an overnight test drive to make sure it will fit in my garage and that my charging plan will work(I rented a Y in Vegas for a day and really enjoyed it) but also keep thinking about the extra wait that is going to put on getting my new car. So conflicted...