Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you making a reservation?

Are you making a reservation for a Model X?

• Yes! I haven't reserved a Model S, but I am so getting the X.

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • Yes, and I'm cancelling my Model S reservation

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Yes, and I'm keeping my Model S reservation too.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • No, not getting a Tesla.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • No, I'm happy with my Model S reservation.

Votes: 58 47.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 9.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not ordered yet but I had a ride in the Model S and I want one but then I have to keep the RX400h for snow use etc. I am so tossed now Model S or Model X then decide from there I guess by then I will have Gen III on the list also to choose from.

I actually made that call with respect to Model S VINs. That is, I have Roadster VIN 1298 and Model S R#270. With 1K Sigs, that put me within striking distance of getting VIN 1298 on Model S.

Sadly, I was told that unlike Roadster they're not doing any kind of VIN manipulation.
Doesn't Bill Lee's vehicle (#6 in both cases) disprove that assertion? Or did he just get "lucky" in a stastically near-impossible way w/r/t the timing of his reservation?

I have Roadster VIN 1298 and Model S R#270. With 1K Sigs, that put me within striking distance of getting VIN 1298 on Model S.

Sadly, I was told that unlike Roadster they're not doing any kind of VIN manipulation.

Consider yourself lucky.

Having two Tesla with similar VINs would be prone to hassle since everyone at Tesla will look at last 4 digits and not pay attention if it is a customer with 2 different Teslas. Consider you schedule a service. Ranger comes with the encased flatbed to pickup the Roadster, but it was for Model S and it won't fit on the flatbed. Or you order some Tesla specific spare part (e.g. UMC) and it comes for the wrong car.

Typical example of German Angst here :biggrin: